Notices

PAWS info?

Old 04-05-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
love is the answer

PAWS info?

Can anyone furnish me with a link to paws info please?

I'm currently browsing the SR articles and Google (not sure thats wise but it's all I have) but I'd appreciate links (or experiences if you're willing to share) from people who know what it's really like.

Thanks so much.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is the best link I know.
PAWS | Digital Dharma

For what it's worth not every one experiences PAWs, and it doesn't really kick in for those that do until after 30 days.

I had a few bad days here and there with trouble focusing and confusion, and out of character behaviour, but nothing prolonged

D
Old 04-05-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
This is the best link I know.
PAWS | Digital Dharma

For what it's worth not every one experiences PAWs, and it doesn't really kick in for those that do until after 30 days.

I had a few bad days here and there with trouble focusing and confusion, and out of character behaviour, but nothing prolonged

D
Forewarned is forearmed.

Thank you dee.

As an aside: do you ever sleep? ;-)
Old 04-05-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It's my belief that PAW's can begin as soon as the acute withdrawal period ends. This varies from individual to individual and also with the type of detox. I have seen it in individuals with only a week of sobriety (or even slightly less) and just exiting detox.

PAWs effects can also range from subtitle to debilitating depending on the individual. Personally I have not seen it go on longer than 18 months, but I have heard of this.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by mystified View Post
Forewarned is forearmed.

Thank you dee.

As an aside: do you ever sleep? ;-)
I do but not at 3.45 in the afternoon LOL

D
Old 04-05-2015, 11:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I do but not at 3.45 in the afternoon LOL

D
Lol. Don't believe you!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think If I focus on paws I'll start imagining symptoms and throwing a pity party for myself. I feel a world better than I did a week ago. I'm sure I'll feel even better down the line. I was a wreck before I started drinking anyway. Here's to brighter times
Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
It's my belief that PAW's can begin as soon as the acute withdrawal period ends. This varies from individual to individual and also with the type of detox. I have seen it in individuals with only a week of sobriety (or even slightly less) and just exiting detox.

PAWs effects can also range from subtitle to debilitating depending on the individual. Personally I have not seen it go on longer than 18 months, but I have heard of this.
I agree with this description. I've always thought of PAWS is simply any withdrawal-related symptoms that persist beyond the "normal" acute phase of withdrawal, which for most people is over within a week or two. It's not some kind of separate malady that you "get" like pneumonia or something.

At 24 months sober, I still have symptoms at times (e.g., my misfiring brain just required about 8 tries to type the word "symptoms" LOL), but they interfere with my daily life much less frequently or severely than they used to.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't know, I believe PAWS is real. I got hit hard about a month after my detox until almost four months. Reading up on it let me know I wasn't broken, that this too shall pass. I read about it, prepared for it, got hit hard by it and go through it. I think sometimes it still creeps in but not like it was for a while. The only thing to do about PAWS is accept it for a while. Exercise always helped clear my head a bit, especially on the really bad days.

From what I have read length and severity depends on a few factors. DOC and length and severity of use being the main is ones. One thing I have read everywhere though is that it is completely manageable. It is unpleasant but using again only makes it worse.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Makes me feel im going crazy.