SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Fifty Shades of Mystic Okra (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/363993-fifty-shades-mystic-okra.html)

Lenina 04-05-2015 08:57 AM

Fifty Shades of Mystic Okra

Welcome to our new thread! We are seekers of sobriety and serenity. A sense of humor and grasp of the absurd is necessary.

Those of a delicate disposition, run now.

Love from Lenina. AKA Crazy Assed Lenina AKA CAL

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 09:25 AM

addictguy, reporting for duty and all appropriate madness, distinctions, subtleties, nuances, profundities, absurdities, discernments and mundanities and, oh, yeah all of that other stuff that i can't quite put my finger on.

silentrun 04-05-2015 09:27 AM

That made my day LeeLee. I hope we get a guest appearance from our Robby today. Happy Easter Robot.

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 09:38 AM

join us robby

dwtbd 04-05-2015 09:39 AM

AG
They have 3 ply quilted now, just sayin

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dwtbd (Post 5301979)
AG
They have 3 ply quilted now, just sayin

i don't know what that means

Fandy 04-05-2015 10:02 AM

Can I substitute Kale or Kimchi for the Okra?

is this a gassy thread?

MidnightBlue 04-05-2015 10:14 AM

MB here (AKA "Mad Boxer" for this thread).

In great need of humor, boost of spirit, good laugh, knocking out too serious attitude to life, craziness and all that makes life worth living)

Carlotta 04-05-2015 10:21 AM

Resident Sour Puss on duty!
Yeah, we need the Robot and the Turtle too. Come on over Robby.
Okra is actually used in the Lukumi religion as an offering to Shango the deity of thunder, passion and justice so it definitely has mystical qualities.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9e09b268b7.jpg

courage2 04-05-2015 10:23 AM

Very nice to see you, Midnight. It's been a while! :wavey:

I'm off to buy some dried pineapple on my way to the office, myself. Despite all the computations, I still don't do okra. But it was alright.

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 10:28 AM

Hey midnight. i caught you on your own thread. I know you are having a rough time. i also know you are getting some good advice. the best thing I heard anyone say to you was that in all of that you are going through, you are the most important part.

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 10:30 AM

i wish I had grumpy cat's money. now that would buy some tuna and catnip.

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 10:30 AM

OK, cautionary note: catnip could be a gateway thing.

MidnightBlue 04-05-2015 10:37 AM

Courage - great to see you too, my Undie friend))

AddictGuy - thanks you for reminding about most important part. I tend to have a chronic amnesia when it comes to it.

Lenina 04-05-2015 10:40 AM

AG, catnip IS bad news! Check out the fluffilinas thread!

Fandy, kimchi and kale are acceptable substitutes for holy okra. One of my ninas made me eat some just recently...seems to be an acquired taste.

So good to see such a great turn out!

Robby, we will continue to hold you in our best thoughts.

Be back after brunch.

much love and peeps.

Lenina

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 10:46 AM

midnight,

story:

when this one girl left me and other stuff, I sank into a depression. I had a couple of these oversized paperback books full of a couple of different author's collections of those single pane cartoons that were originally published in newspapers. and so there they were, gag after gag after gag. I would grab one of those books for my morning constitutional and just start flipping pages. And despite myself, after a few pages i just couldn't help it. i just had to laugh. I mean, you can only be so depressed and laugh too. I knew if I could still laugh there was still hope. sometimes joy is a little harder to find, but like life in the dessert, even if you have to look, it's there.

story:

i heard about this guy who was told by his doctor that he was going to die and that he just had a few weeks or a few months to live and to just go home and take it easy.

He got a room, rented a bunch of comedy movies and laid there in bed and watched them. I guess he had a couple of bucks so he bought a ticket for a sea cruise as well.

he said, screw it. i might as well go out laughing. It turned out that his stress and his depression was killing him and when he just let everything go, since he was going to die anyway and looked for things to laugh about and enjoy, he not only did not die, he recovered and lived many many more years.

You have stresses, I know, midnight. and there are things you have to take action about. but surely some time during the day you can call it a day and enjoy a sunset or whatever. Like I recommend so often, though everyone is like anything but that. I recommend meditation and even mantras -- good healthy positive mantras. It has kept me alive doing stuff like that. Kept me from going nuts. It's still a part of my routine because the beast always lurks, at least for me. It is a big part of how I fight him.

I have seen miserable people who have it all and happy people who have so very little. It's the mind, midnight. Sure we have to have a plan to make things better and we have to act on those plans, but after all of that, it's in the mind, and you are in control of what happens in your mind. I know there can be stressors. Incredible stressors. but you also have to ask yourself this question: if you don't own your own mind, who does?

Leshar 04-05-2015 10:50 AM

Lenina, thanks for opening this new thread!
Happy Easter, Passover to all.

AddictGuy 04-05-2015 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Carlotta (Post 5302027)
Shango the deity of thunder, passion and justice ]

i want to work my way into a Shango type gig. where do I apply. i will start on the ground floor.

MidnightBlue 04-05-2015 11:00 AM

Leshar - Thanks for leftovers. Glad to see you)

AddictGuy - Thanks a lot for your post and stories. Made me smile. I do meditation, though, have to admit, not regularly. If you don't mind me asking and you sharing - what mantras do you use. Sometimes I feel like I need some to calm my mind, and start searching for some, and while I am searching - my thoughts are already AWOL.

MesaMan 04-05-2015 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Easter! Positive Passover!

-