Notices

Things could have been worse

Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ryno032709

Things could have been worse

Today, I read a persons story (quoted below) that could have been my exact story when I was 17. My story long and short - in Ocean City,MD drinking beers late on the beach with a friend and a bicycle cop catches us. At first he is going to give us a court date then changes it to a ticket (pay a fine by mail). In the end he just gives us a verbal warning because we are both from out of state and going into military/school. Until today, I never TRULY realized how lucky I was that night to just get a warning (verbally)... It could have turned into this.... Had he gave me a ticket/court date....

"So... One summer I decided to drink a beer outside my hotel room in Ocean City and got cited for an open container. Being OCMD, I couldn't just pay a damn fine, I had to return for court. Thing is, I was away at school in Atlanta when my court date was supposed to take place. I sent a letter asking for a postponement, which was granted...for a week later. **** it, I guess I'm not going and I'll deal with it later... Flash to later. Like, almost a year later. Spring break, I'm home visiting at my dad's house. Knock on the door, Baltimore City police car in the driveway. WTF? I could have just pretended no one was home, but I thought maybe there was a murderer on the loose, so I answered. I mean, it's not like the OCPD called BCPD, asked them to send a car to my dad's house on the off chance I was home from college, just to hassle me over an open can of beer, right? Wrong. I guess there was no crime that day in the city, so there I was. Yes, I'm TheBaltimoron, officer. Yes, I've been to Ocean City. I have to go where? Central booking? But, I'm supposed to go to a party tonight... No big deal, I figure, this will be a good chance to clear this up. Cop tells me I'll wait to see a magistrate who will assign me a new court date, determine my bail (wait, what--bail?), and then I'll be released. It's 3 in the afternoon, should still be able to go out tonight. Doesn't sound too horrible... Mug shots. Fingerprints. Strip search. Bend over, spread your ass. <cough, cough> Go to a room with about 15 other dudes in for who knows what (mostly drug dealers--they had a raid), wait for a magistrate for HOURS. Finally go to see him at 10PM. The guy before me is an idiot and pisses the magistrate off because he can't follow simple directions. Magistrate tells him to go **** off in the corner and tells me to step up. Gulp. My bail? $200. Not $2000. $200. Can I just pay you now? Oh wait, you put my wallet (along with all my personal items) in a bag when I got here. ****. More waiting in a room with more (alleged) criminals. They think my $200 bail is adorable. Then I see some parole type guy who asks me if I am employed (yeah, three jobs and a full-time student, bub), if I'm on drugs, etc. He seems befuddled as to why I'm there. Join the party, pal. Moved to another room. Wait some more. At this point, I figure I'm about to get processed out. After all, they told me my dad could post my bail at any time. And he can...but that doesn't mean I can get out any time. You see, it's now pushing midnight, and they won't release anyone overnight, gotta wait until 8AM at the earliest. So, now what..? Orange jumpsuits! A wristband! What is this half bar of soap for? Oh, we're all going to shower together? FANTASTIC! Say, correctional guy, you wouldn't happen to have a spare contact lens case and some multi-purpose solution lying around here, would you? Oh, **** me then? Okay, thaaanks... Get dressed again, finally get my phone call ("I swear, Dad, it's just for a ******* open can of beer. COME GET ME."), then we get to march upstairs, through all them fancy metal doors with buzzers and ****. Oh, this is like, jail, huh? I wonder who my cellmate will be? I don't know, as he is sleeping on the top rack. I curl up in the bottom and try to stay as quiet as possible, hoping this is not a bang-you-in-the-ass prison and wondering if bunk position also dictates sexual position. Hardly sleep a wink. Morning. Maybe I'll get out soon? Doors to all the cells open and everyone wakes up and heads out for a breakfast that makes school cafeteria food look like a Michelin 3 star joint. I'm not hungry, and I'm not going out into the room straight from Oz. Unless I see O'Reily. I'll be his bitch and he'll protect me. And rape me. ****. Which tattoo will I opt for: spiderweb on the elbow, or tears falling from the corner of my eye? Then...I wait. They sporadically call names. Finally, I hear mine. It is now just past noon. They send me to another room (more waiting--damn, prison is both terrifying and boring) until I can see someone to get processed out. Finally, I am, 24 hours after this all began. Luckily, my dad seems amused. Epilogue: Get a new court date, tell a girl I met the night before I have to go to the ocean to go to court, she decides '**** it' and comes along, we get a room and get cozy, I go to court, cop doesn't show--not guilty, y'all got ta feel me."

-----I will always will remember my story and this kids story is even better... I will never forget that cop who gave my friend and I a pass that night... It was my first involvement with the Police (actually getting caught) and I wish I could say it was my last (lol).., thankfully I am 6years 7days sober today and thank you for letting me share.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on your sober time Ryno