Notices

4 Months and Excessive Sleep

Old 03-27-2015, 08:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

4 Months and Excessive Sleep

Hi Everyone - My first post here. I am a 37-year-old female. I quit drinking over 4 months ago. Over the last three years, I had become a daily drinker, which escalated to morning drinking, drinking on breaks, on lunch and immediately after work in my car, chugging a few down immediately upon returning home...generally a good 8-10 drinks a day (no mass-produced lights, only micros) and whiskey. On a really good day, probably 10-15 drinks.

I quit smoking pot 2 months ago. I was a heavy user for about 13 years.

The first few weeks after quitting drinking, I went through some heavy depression, which leveled off somewhat after that. I knew I wanted to quit the weed and after a couple months, I craved a clear head and quit that. I found myself completely unambitious for a month after that. I would literally sit with a thousand things to do and zero drive to do them.

Also, contrary to what most people seem to experience, I didn't lose my appetite...I was starving all the time. Huge meals.

I have a little more energy in the last couple of weeks. But also contrary to what others seem to experience, I have no insomnia and broken sleep patterns. I easily sleep heavily and well and 12 hours doesn't seem to be enough sleep! It's frustrating me. I have been an early morning person for years. Even drinking as much as I did, I was up early battling my hangover. I guess in some ways that was scary, too, that I'd turned into a functioning drunk, where in my 20's a night of drinking meant I was probably calling in late to work.

Even on weekends, to sleep past 6AM makes me feel like I've wasted my day away. Weekdays, 5AM is my goal. For the last month, I wake up at roughly 6:50 on weekdays feeling like I could sleep another three hours. And I have slept until PAST 9AM ON WEEKENDS!

I am no longer hit with intense fog brain and sleepiness during the day, so that's an improvement, but I can't stand this late and intense sleeping...has anyone else had this problem and how long did it take you to overcome it? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gogertie View Post
Hi Everyone - My first post here. I am a 37-year-old female. I quit drinking over 4 months ago. Over the last three years, I had become a daily drinker, which escalated to morning drinking, drinking on breaks, on lunch and immediately after work in my car, chugging a few down immediately upon returning home...generally a good 8-10 drinks a day (no mass-produced lights, only micros) and whiskey. On a really good day, probably 10-15 drinks.

I quit smoking pot 2 months ago. I was a heavy user for about 13 years.

The first few weeks after quitting drinking, I went through some heavy depression, which leveled off somewhat after that. I knew I wanted to quit the weed and after a couple months, I craved a clear head and quit that. I found myself completely unambitious for a month after that. I would literally sit with a thousand things to do and zero drive to do them.

Also, contrary to what most people seem to experience, I didn't lose my appetite...I was starving all the time. Huge meals.

I have a little more energy in the last couple of weeks. But also contrary to what others seem to experience, I have no insomnia and broken sleep patterns. I easily sleep heavily and well and 12 hours doesn't seem to be enough sleep! It's frustrating me. I have been an early morning person for years. Even drinking as much as I did, I was up early battling my hangover. I guess in some ways that was scary, too, that I'd turned into a functioning drunk, where in my 20's a night of drinking meant I was probably calling in late to work.

Even on weekends, to sleep past 6AM makes me feel like I've wasted my day away. Weekdays, 5AM is my goal. For the last month, I wake up at roughly 6:50 on weekdays feeling like I could sleep another three hours. And I have slept until PAST 9AM ON WEEKENDS!

I am no longer hit with intense fog brain and sleepiness during the day, so that's an improvement, but I can't stand this late and intense sleeping...has anyone else had this problem and how long did it take you to overcome it? Thanks in advance!
Hello and welcome!

You didn't mention what time you're getting to bed at night. How many hours have you slept once it's past 9am? I'd kill for that, but my problem is related to a small 3 year old dinosaur I have running around.

If you just gave up pot 2 months ago after years of heavy use, I suspect that is still causing issues.

I used to keep a small water bottle with some iced coffee in it bedside. When it was time I knew I needed to be waking up, I'd take a few chugs and lie back down 10 minutes later I could crawl out of bed and 20 minutes later I'd be singing in the shower.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

9:00 am on weekends? You are an early-bird girl! Go easy on yourself. It was like my body is catching up after years of drunken sleep. Sleeping is healing time. I'll bet your face and eyes look a zillion times better! Enjoy the restful sleep. Your brain is still healing.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Early sobriety means your body is still healing. Sleep is good for you and you likely just need it. Wasting your day by sleeping past 6am is much preferred to wasting your day by drinking all day and feeling like garbage.

Once during an unsuccessful attempt at sobriety several years ago my doctor gave me sleeping pills of some sort (Ambien or Lunesta). One thing that those did to me was make it impossible to get out of bed at a reasonable hour. Now I don't take anything and it is a little harder to fall asleep, but getting out of bed in the morning is much easier.