Notices

What I Don't Miss About Drinking

Old 03-26-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What I Don't Miss About Drinking

Waking up the morning after with a pounding head, crumbs of food all over me, and overwhelming shame and guilt about the shenanigans of the night before.

What don't you miss?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anxiety, depression, despair, feelings of doom, guilt, shame, remorse. And I don't miss spending my money to get those effects.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I do not miss feeling lost or vomiting blood
Old 03-26-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsober View Post
Anxiety, depression, despair, feelings of doom, guilt, shame, remorse. And I don't miss spending my money to get those effects.
Same here. I also don't missing driving drunk, pissing all over the floor, the shakes......hell I could on in infinity
Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The anxiety. It would take me up to 45 minutes to drive to work and I used to get chest pains, palpitations and feel like I was going to die. I have, on several occasions, pulled over to the side of the road to vomit. I carried this on for years and it was absolutely terrible but the same thing happened every day. Utter madness.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't miss staying up way too late, drinking way too much, and waking up way too exhausted. There is nothing better than waking up early, feeling good with clear eyes and clear head, and no empties bottles and cans to pick up!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Digestive issues of all sorts. . . .
Need I say more?

I think not
Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

These are all good reminders! Thanks

I really don't miss feeling like the walking dead
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh how I don't miss hangovers. The guilt trips, anxiety. And money spent. Every day!!!!

Now I sleep through the night, hardly wake up to go to the bathroom.

All is very slow and even. Boring yes but I h drank enough for a life time in my 36 years.

3 weeks today. Sober as an oxen. Feel like and ox too.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Waking up still wasted and needing an "eye opener" to feel better and going to work tipsy.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Shame....guilt.....anxiety.....nerves shot...trying to recall conversations with people I called the evening before and hoping they couldn't tell I'd been drinking.

Waking up irritated, dreading a new day.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All of the above ^^
Old 03-26-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

intermitant dry heaves over my office garbage can

throbbing headache

paranoia while driving

insomnia but needing sleep badly

my big mouth drunk
Old 03-26-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't miss the depression and the pacing back and forth when you don't have alcohol. heart palpitations... sweating... the works.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All those things plus feeling perpetually defeated because I couldn't quit drinking. I seriously don't miss that heavy baggage.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
July 4, 2014

I just like feeling even... There are no peaks and extremes lows, I can regulate my emotional state and address things as they come up. I must always remind myself of this whenever I consider a drink.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I don't miss waking up and before I even open my eyes doing an inventory of last night and gauging how about the hangover would be. Would it be at 10? Would it be an eight? For the last few years I never had anything less than an eight 365 days a year.

I don't miss waking up and realizing I forgot to set out my clean ironed clothes for the day.

I don't miss been running around the house like a crazy person trying to find a clean outfit.

I don't miss finding food in the microwave that I had forgotten to eat. Or leaving the stove on and ruining pots and pans. Or leaving the front door unlocked or wise open.

I don't miss showing up to work five minutes late every day, hung over, and pretending like everything was fine.

I don't miss coworkers saying you look tired or is something wrong?

I don't miss having to pretend that I'm not completely and totally hungover.

I don't miss sweating all the time and wondering if people will notice.

I don't miss having diarrhea 3 to 5 times a day. And I don't miss having to run to the bathroom in an emergency state because of this.

I don't miss waking up at 3 AM when the alcohol was wearing off and wondering how long I had to live. Would a live for one more year? Would I live for five more years? What if I died within a few weeks? None of those were out of the question.

I don't miss the heart palpitations during the day or the acid reflux.

I don't miss looking around at everybody else in the world and wondering, how in the hell do they get through each day without drinking? They are not hung over right now. They are not hung over right now. They are not hung over right now. I wonder how that feels? How would it feel to go to work without a hangover? That must be nice. I wonder what that is like?

I never had a morning drink in my life but I always wondered if people could smell it when I would start sweating when I got to work. I sweated ALL THE TIME. A shiny sheen of moisture on my face ALL THE TIME.

I don't miss the terrorizing drive to the liquor store at 6:50. The drive took 12 minutes but I would make it in eight minutes. Always scared to death that they would close before I got there.

I don't miss rotating liquor stores so they wouldn't think I drank as much as I did.

I don't miss looking at my online bank statement and literally every other or every third debit withdrawal was from the liquor store.

I don't miss my hands shaking when I put in my contact lenses.

I don't miss deciding that my eyes were too puffy anyways to wear contacts and putting on my glasses again with shaking hands.

I don't miss wondering: can she tell I'm hungover? Can he tell I'm hungover? Can my boss tell I'm hungover?

I don't miss checking the toilet after going to the bathroom. I would check for blood.

I don't miss driving to work and literally thinking how in the hell am I going to get through today? And then repeating it the next day. And the next.

I don't miss waking up on a weekend going to the couch and wondering how in the hell am I going to get through today?

I don't miss checking Facebook on the weekend when I was on the couch sweating under a blanket and seeing the posts from people who were out in the world doing things, normal things. Without a hangover.

I don't miss checking my Facebook with shaking hands in the morning to see what I had posted during the blackout.

I don't miss checking my email with the shaking hands in the morning to see what I emailed in a blackout.

But if you were to ask me what the one thing I do not miss? The one thing?

HANGOVERS.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I don't miss waking up and before I even open my eyes doing an inventory
I don't miss finding food in the microwave that I had forgotten to eat. Or leaving the stove on and ruining pots and pans. Or leaving the front door unlocked or wide open.
I don't miss coworkers saying you look tired or is something wrong?
I don't miss waking up at 3 AM when the alcohol was wearing off and wondering how long I had to live.
I don't miss the heart palpitations during the day or the acid reflux.

I don't miss the terrorizing drive to the liquor store.
I don't miss rotating liquor stores so they wouldn't think I drank as much as I did.
I don't miss looking at my online bank statement and literally every other or every third debit withdrawal was from the liquor store.

I don't miss driving to work and literally thinking how in the hell am I going to get through today? And then repeating it the next day. And the next.
I don't miss waking up on a weekend going to the couch and wondering how in the hell am I going to get through today?
All of these, I do not miss but I have not forgotten about them. They are still very vivid memories and they remind me of what waits for me if I drink again.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I do not miss popping up at 2am half drunk-half hungover knowing that I wold be spending the next few hours battling the hangover before going to work in an exhausted state of mind and body.

I do not miss feeling like a helpless participant in life - life was something that happened to me.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
July 4, 2014

These feelings are new to me as I slipped up a little over a week ago... Doing good though almost 10 days!
I woke this morning and just felt ready. I didn't have anything to do directly, but I was ready to sit and drink coffee and read the news and not be ill, queasy, headache ridden, mad at myself... Nope, none of that! I was just going to sit and enjoy a morning totally hangover free. It's not just the physical hangovers, those were bad, but the emotional and physiological ones... God, those could last days.
But today? Just some yummy organic coffee, the bbc, and the promise of a great upcoming weekend!