Notices

Rock Bottom

Old 03-24-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock Bottom

On Sunday night I got really drunk off a glass of wine and 6 beers. I fell down in my room and hurt my ankle. When I woke up I could not walk. My boyfriend had to carry me into the car and I had to get wheeled into the ER. I am now on crutches with a fractured ankle. I am going to be like this for 6 weeks. This has affected my life greatly. I really am never going to drink again. This has been a huge wake up call for me. I was only drinking on weekends mostly by myself because my boyfriend does not drink. But no more. I have truly learned my lesson.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Violetflame sorry about your ankle why not read up on recovery while your on crutches
Old 03-24-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Violetflame, I had a similar incident last March. I was drunk and walking to the liquor store to, of course, buy more alcohol when I slipped down a hill and sprained my ankle in 2 places. I didn't learn from the experience and ended up doing even more damage to my ankle because I would get drunk and forget it was injured. You're very smart for using this as a wake up call!

It is experiences like these that really open your eyes to how destructive drinking can be. I hope you feel better soon!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good to see you give this another go, VF.
any thoughts about how to go about it to create that better future?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Violet - sorry you went through that, but it sounds like you learned something valuable. I was that way too - no control once it was in my system. There was no telling what might happen - it was dangerous. No fun anymore - time for it to go. You can do it.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you were injured - but do make this your turning point Violet...the injuries only get worse, believe me...

D
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your ankle. I know that you never want to drink again because of the urgency of the present accident, but try and remember that it is one day at a time. I burned myself on my chest the last time I drank, and there is a still a shadow of a red mark, although barely visible, but it still bothers me, and so I may have to do laser to remove it or use Mederma.

I have been reading the Big Book and the stories at the end. It has been helping me, as well as coming on here.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by violetflame View Post
On Sunday night I got really drunk off a glass of wine and 6 beers. I fell down in my room and hurt my ankle. When I woke up I could not walk. My boyfriend had to carry me into the car and I had to get wheeled into the ER. I am now on crutches with a fractured ankle. I am going to be like this for 6 weeks. This has affected my life greatly. I really am never going to drink again. This has been a huge wake up call for me. I was only drinking on weekends mostly by myself because my boyfriend does not drink. But no more. I have truly learned my lesson.
Hello Violetflame, I am sorry for what happened to you, but I am very leery of such pronouncements. They're easy to make in the aftermath of what happened to you - I made them after each of the FOUR times I ended up in the hospital. Although I no longer participate in AA, one of the things I got of value from my sponsor is not to make long term pronouncements such as the one you've made, but rather just focus on getting through one sober day at a time. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.
“REMEMBER WHEN” is on banners at meeting halls for a reason. I/we didn’t get in trouble every time we drank but many times that we got in trouble alcohol was in our system.
I learned that alcoholism is a progressive disease that can end up with us incarcerated, institutionalized, dead or perhaps worse, living the miserable life alcohol leads us.
It starts by not picking up the first drink one moment, day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can draw a line under this Violetflame and move on to happier times!!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry to read about your injury; hopefully this will be the impetus to keep you sober. You're fortunate that you have a boy friend who, since he doesn't drink, will support you in you decision.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I was thinking about this post today and the reason I believe these long-term pronouncements are counterproductive is because they lack the understanding that any addict can relapse at any time. That's one thing my IOP therapist hammered over and over and over. Even she, with 27 years of sobriety, always qualified her statements by saying she would PROBABLY never drink again.