Notices

Am I going to have withdrawals?

Old 03-23-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I going to have withdrawals?

I'm sure most of you know my story. I was drinking way too much about 2 years ago. I quit for 2 months. The first few days were rough...mainly I could hear my heart pounding and sleep was pretty non-existent. Then I had night sweats and brain fog. About 1.5 weeks in I would get pretty bad headaches at about 3 in the morning.

I decided that I didn't want to give up drinking and started doing what I had been doing before. Then I quit again. For about the last year or so, I have really cut down my intake. Then about 5-6 months ago I cut it down even more. I'm at about 2-3 beers per night on weeknights and maybe 3-4 on weekend nights. Every now and then, I might over indulge, but I haven't been drunk in a very long time. All of this I have been able to accomplish without any real trouble

I realize that I need to take my next step. That is to not drink during the week. Part of me says to go from 2 beers per night to 1, but I just think that is teasing my body.

I'm really scared because I hate having insomnia. Also, I've heard about kindling and I don't want some serious withdrawal. What do you all think - can you get serious withdrawal from cutting from 2 beers per night to nothing?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi CFD, in my experience, and everyone is different, I don't think you will experience serious withdrawal (I'm assuming you're referring to standard 12 oz. beers) with the amounts you've been drinking. You might have to deal with insomnia on the other hand. If it becomes a problem, I would recommend you see your family doctor (if you already haven't), and tell him or her what is going on and ask for a prescription for a sleep aid if you need one. My family doctor initially prescribed me trazodone when I was dealing with insomnia. That said, I also learned to just deal with it. Rather than just tossing and turning in bed worrying about getting sleep, I just accepted that I will sleep when I need it. I spent many a sleepless night reading or doing something else that didn't tax the mind too much.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sober. They usually aren't Coors Lights or standard beers. I think standard beers are around 5% abv. I like craft beers and they are around 6.25%. I just hate insomnia. Nothing is more lonely than 3 am when you can't sleep. I might just go to 1 per night for two days to be safe.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Insomnia is part of the deal when you quit. It isn't going to hurt you. If you are in bed and unable to sleep, get up and have some milk and toast and try again. That always worked for me.

You will sleep when you need it. If you are in bed and can't sleep, get up and come here to SR to keep your brain occupied and keep from laying there worrying, but eventually you're gonna sleep. It's temporary.

Some nights I slept two hours, then a couple days later I'd sleep ten hours. Just quit and get it over with.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd agree with Bimini- there is no "easy/comfortable" way around quitting. Some people dont' have much for WD symptoms, others do. But everyone has a period of time where they dont' feel good at best. Insomnia is common too, but again it won't kill you - just make you tired.

If you truly feel you might have some severe symptoms, or if you've had them in the past, you should sea doc first.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Its best to see a Dr first about this cross
Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep feeling your heart beat every morning when you wake up.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on committing to the last step. I wouldn't imagine any serious withdrawal symptoms but everyone is different. I take Melatonin to help sleep, works beautifully.

ps. You think 1 beer would just be teasing yourself, I think 2 beers is just teasing yourself. haha.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tapered to zero. I'm a big proponent of this method. Do it.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Crossfitdad View Post
Haha. I'm not posting anything about that! I'm on Dee's **** list.
CFD, if you've really been at 2-3 beers a night for almost half a year, you've pretty much already tapered down to zero.

And why should we self-censor ourselves on a forum such as this? No one's experience has any less validity than anyone else's.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No, I had inappropriately posted something about liking 2 beers and it was not right to post.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok, I removed the post but seeing as its quoted....

I don't have a **** list, and even posted as a joke it annoys me because people read it and believe it...and the forum team is not like that.

SR goes to extraordinary lengths to allow freedom of expression - within the rules and regs everyone agreed to when they signed up.

I hope that makes things clearer.

Dee
SR
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm really scared because I hate having insomnia.
hmm see now I find insomnia way way better then passing otu drunk and waking up the next morning. I find it better then the feeling i get after having just a few beers and waking up the next morning.

I have insomnia for a variety of reasons i'll gladly take it over a drinking habit again.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Are you really that worried about a few nights of insomnia? Or are you actually freaking out because you don't want to truly give up the drink? You are already rationing why it's "best" to keep drinking a beer per night instead of getting to zero. Seems like there's a battle going on in your head right now and maybe you are grasping at straws here. The sensible side of you was brave enough to post here knowing you'd get some sensible advice...so here it is: just rip off the band-aid and quit. Stop walking the tightrope and just jump in, the water only feels cold for a minute. We are here waiting with floaties and life preservers if you're nervous.

Alcohol is not only physically addictive but it does one hell of a job on the mental side as well. You don't need a drink to sleep. If you're paranoid about withdrawals see a doctor. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

regular and consistent drinking and then stopping abruptly can still shock the body, see a doctor to be safe
Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm down to one beer now. I just finished my one beer...a lower alcohol beer. Let's see what happens. I'm sure ill have insomnia and will be posting later.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good. Zero tomorrow, right?

And start believing you will be okay - think positive.

A little insomnia won't hurt you. We've all gone through it. The bad part is laying in bed stressing out over it. It's just better to get out of bed and come here and read while drinking some hot cocoa until you feel tired. Honest, your body will sleep when it needs to. It's normal to have anxiety and sleeplessness for a couple weeks, minimum.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Slept like a baby
Old 03-26-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is excellent
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Congrats on committing to the last step. I wouldn't imagine any serious withdrawal symptoms but everyone is different. I take Melatonin to help sleep, works beautifully.

ps. You think 1 beer would just be teasing yourself, I think 2 beers is just teasing yourself. haha.
Where did you see the OP committing to a "last step?" Also, most people who come to this site would consider a "last step" total abstinence, as opposed to "not drink during the week."