Notices

Teeth feel "dirty"

Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Teeth feel "dirty"

For lack of a better word. I tried to search the site and couldn't find much on this subject. Now I have straight teeth and have had a couple fillings. I am a horrible flosser. Just can't get every tooth.

Has anyone ever felt like this? They just feel overall dirty. I don't know if alcohol has worn enamel down or what. I went to dentist just a couple months ago and go every 3 months because I have periodontal disease. One frightening thing that I learned is I have some bone loss there which I know is because of drinking as it depletes body of calcium and magnesium.

Just seeing if anyone has experienced this? What did you do? They just don't feel clean no matter how much I brush and rinse. My gums bleed easily and has kinda always been like that.

I never hear oral health discussed much on this forum.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had the same sensation while I was actively drinking, and consequently vomiting, a lot. It always felt like there was a layer of yuck growing on them, even immediately after brushing and flossing. The dentist never said anything specific to me, though. You've already addressed it, but the bleeding gums could be from malnutrition. Not flossing can also exacerbate gum disease. How long have you been sober? For me, the feeling did go away with time.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was very much into dental work earlier in my life so I thought perhaps I can respond to this. Not exactly sure what you mean by "dirty" though... is it discoloration on the surface or in between your teeth? Have they always been this way, or is it something relatively recent?

There are many things that can contribute to tooth decay: genetics, nutritional problems, certain drugs (including medications), insufficient hygiene, foods and drinks that stain teeth (dentists often mention coffee and red wine), eating/drinking things that attack the enamel (acid in alcoholic drinks included), throwing up often, etc. It's great that you are taking care of yourself going to the dentist often. Have you discussed your current concerns with him/her and tried to identify where your problem lies? If it's your not cleaning your teeth properly, a good dentist or dental nurse can teach you how to do it and advise you on appropriate types of tooth brush, paste, floss etc based on the type of your own teeth. I think some people have naturally sensitive gums and, again, it might improve using the proper hygiene methods for you.

If it's about color, there are many treatments nowadays that can improve that, both non-invasive ones ("bleaching") and invasive ones (veneers, crowns), depending on what you want to achieve, can afford financially, and what is feasible in your unique case. I had something interesting related to these in the past. When I first decided to invest into some cosmetic work, we discussed goals with my dentist and during the prep process, she pointed out to me that I must have had some unrealistic self-image regarding my teeth. Overly critical and perfectionistic, finding problems that no one else would recognize. It was hard to convince me, but finally she succeeded by taking a series of pictures of my teeth and we looked at them on the computer screen. It was very interesting: indeed, when looking at it as an external viewer, those internally perceived flaws just did not seem to exist. So I let her guide me more into more realistic solutions rather than just relying on my own ideas. I never regretted.

As for periodontal disease, I have no personal experience but as you know, a lot of that can often be managed / reversed with the proper cleaning and hygiene. Seeing a doctor about the nutritional imbalances due to alcoholism might also be a good idea -- have you discussed with the dentist if this might help?

Also, I remember when I was detoxing, my mouth just felt weird... it was more a sensation than anything about my teeth and it went away completely in a week or so.

These are the possibilities that came to mind reading your post.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ugh, I remember that feeling when detoxing. I couldn't brush the grossness off them. It did pass though like haennie said - about a week or so and they stopped feeling like that.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would check with a dentist first of course, but I've been using one of those Oral-B electric toothbrushes and it's amazing how much cleaner/smoother my teeth feel after I'm done compared to a regular brush.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I have an electric toothbrush but should prob. replace the head as it is worn down. When I can afford it, I want to get this special electric toothbrush that also is designed to somewhat floss the teeth as well.

I can't google teeth stuff. You see all kinds of crazy pictures.

My teeth just don't feel smooth. Sucks because once upon a time, I got compliments on my teeth all the time.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Definatly check with a dentist