Notices

Pregnant and alcoholic

Old 03-22-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant and alcoholic

Had my first doctors appointment on Friday after finding out I was pregnant on Wednesday. I had been sober for 3 months and then slipped. I would have been in week 11 of pregnancy. The first night I had about 4 shots worth of vodka and the second maybe 6-7. Has anyone ever been in my position before? Im terrified of what I could have done. I know I can stay sober. Especially if I'm going to be a mom. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When you go to your Dr. appt. be honest. I had my son 13 years ago, and for the first 2 months I shown no signs of pregnancy. I too was drinking at that time. I stopped as soon as I found out Let your Dr. know your concern and take It from there.

I wish you luck

Congrats. by he way
A child is a beautiful part of life, the most important in my eyes
Old 03-22-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just hope I haven't caused too much damage. Does FAS come from people drinking through their whole pregnancy or just once or twice?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi Cate,

Welcome to SR! Are you hanging in there? This time of the night/week is not as busy but keep checking and you will be sure to get a lot of personal experiences. We cannot give medical advice here, but there are many moms who share their stories.

Here is a 'sticky' from the Women's Recovery Forum regarding Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (the info is taken from the Mayo Clinic website).

Women In Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

The chat room here is always open for support and usually has a few or a bunch in there to chit-chat. Treat yourself with the utmost TLC. Nice to have you here.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

welcome
well good thing you decided to stop after finding out. but i think being 100% honest with your doctor is the best. after all,, how can your MD help you and make the best decisions for you and your baby if you are not honest with him. it is hard to stop drinking, all of us know it, but you have a wonderful reason to stop, a baby!! how to see you around
Old 03-23-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Catecali
Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CateCali View Post
Had my first doctors appointment on Friday after finding out I was pregnant on Wednesday. I had been sober for 3 months and then slipped. I would have been in week 11 of pregnancy. The first night I had about 4 shots worth of vodka and the second maybe 6-7. Has anyone ever been in my position before? Im terrified of what I could have done. I know I can stay sober. Especially if I'm going to be a mom. Anyone have any advice or similar experiences?
Hi CateCali,

I was 2 months sober when I found out I was pregnant. Im now 33 weeks pregnant and baby is due on the 4th May (getting induced a week early)

Getting sober while I've been pregnant has been tough. Its been an emotional time as it is without throwing pregnancy and hormones into the mix. Best thing I could have done though, fast forward to 9 months sober and the joy of being sober and pregnant is amazing.

Really look after yourself and speak to your doctor if youre worried about anything.

Wishing you well.

Leigh x
Old 03-23-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can't lie and say im still not terrified. I have my first appointment today. I think I will opt for all of the testing I can get to make sure baby is okay. Will they be able to tell me anything today? I've been reading a lot online and it looks like I'm not the only person who has been in my shoes and had healthy babies.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CateCali View Post
I can't lie and say im still not terrified. I have my first appointment today. I think I will opt for all of the testing I can get to make sure baby is okay. Will they be able to tell me anything today? I've been reading a lot online and it looks like I'm not the only person who has been in my shoes and had healthy babies.
A lot has changed in 13 years, so I really can't tell you about the tests they can run now.

I wish you the best
Old 03-24-2015, 01:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Happy, joyous, and free

How did it go, CateCali? Wishing you a wonderful, sober pregnancy!
Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We got a DVDS of our little baby moving around. The baby even puts its hand in its mouth. The doctor said the heartbeat was stronger than some that they hear at 38 weeks and we are only 12 weeks!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Happy, joyous, and free

Sweet! Was the doc able to set aside your fears?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad everything is okay with the baby. Just try and stay as healthy as possible, you'll feel so much better as the months go on.

I worried about the damage alcohol had done to me but as long as I was sober that's the best I could do.

The months fly by, be good to yourself and take care.

Wishing you well.

L x
Old 03-24-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

I went on a very loaded binge shortly after I got pregnant, then drank regularly but not too heavily throughout most of the first trimester -- I was in total denial about the pregnancy, and only cut down on the booze because I thought "I had the flu" -- really, morning sickness.

My son was born outstandingly healthy.

I didn't have any trouble staying sober once I knew I was pregnant. I advise you to take this opportunity to give it up for good!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My Dr. told me to drink with both times I was pregnant. That was near 40 years ago so we did not know better. It helped calm the contractions. I had lost 5 babies already. I delivered two healthy baby girls. Now we know we should not drink, so I am so glad you have stopped. What is done is done, all you can do is control what happens from now on. I am praying you have a beautiful healthy baby. I am happy for you.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Cate!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you! I am so excited to be back on track!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

when i was 15 we got pregnant, and again at 19, and it's terrifying, and the scariest moment isn't here, or even in the hospital room, it's coming home and the second you are alone with this tiny life....but understand that no matter who you were, who you are or how isolated you might feel.....you are not alone. you can do this. no matter where you've been. if you reach a point and you feel terrified, tell somebody. but you can do this. and this child, ive been in some messed up places, my kids are with my exes, but i know they're going to be okay, they're contributing to the world with their lives, even if i was young when they came into it. you will be exactly what they need, when they need it. no matter what happens. understand that your creation is a catalyst in every respect. the days that you feel overwhelmed.... or fulfilled.... or simply indifferent, these are important and needed, whether or not you can feel it.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I loved that. Thank you for taking the time to respond.