Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Ho do you guys deal with brain fog after being sober

Notices

Ho do you guys deal with brain fog after being sober

Old 03-20-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Ho do you guys deal with brain fog after being sober

I am experiencing it after 3 days of being sober.

google Brain fog.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

it could go on for a while the fog didnt lift for me for a few months. get rest eat right exercise drink plenty of water etc.. in time it'll ease up.

and when it does look out. i had really clear thought out of nowhere. was really nice.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In my experience after particularly intense benders, day 1 would feel like hell with acute withdrawal symptoms: shakes, sweating, nausea, etc. Day 2 I would feel somewhat normal, then on day 3, withdrawal symptoms in the form of an intense fog would settle in for 1-3 days.

I don't know what your drinking history is, but I can tell you from experience cold turkey is extremely unpleasant and possibly dangerous. If you don't think you have the willpower to taper down (and it takes an iron will), you could see a doctor about getting some Librium or Ativan to help you taper down and ease these withdrawal symptoms.

The way I would taper would be to consume one standard drink (12 oz. beer, 4 oz. wine, 1.5 oz spirits) and ONLY drink again when withdrawal symptoms resume, but once again, this is not recommended for the faint of heart.

What you are experiencing are your neurotransmitter levels trying to regain equilibrium in the absence of alcohol. If I could go off on a tangent for a moment, as I learned in rehab, opiates and stimulants only affect a few neurotransmitters while alcohol affects quite a number - this is why alcohol withdrawal is dangerous as opposed to merely unpleasant. There's a lot more stuff that's out of whack in an alcoholic brain.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It took me a week or so to get over that. I also wasn't sleeping well for the first few days and that was part of it.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
totfit

Exercise and eat well.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've found doing anything that makes me have to use my brain helps a ton. Reading or learning anything new. I spent so much time being a nematode on my couch not really thinking. It takes a cold engine awhile get warmed back up. It gets better.

I'm not talking about watching TV either. Get out and actively use the brain.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Know that you are reversing damage you've done to self. It all gets better and everyone heals at their own pace. Embrace it and move forward!