Notices

Sobriety is destroying my marriage???

Old 03-20-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Grateful

Yep I went through the same thing although it took awhile to start causing problems. When I first quit we went through a "honeymoon" period where she was glad I quit. But after awhile she realized that I didn't need to be taken care of and she had lost the control in the relationship. That caused some major problems for us that honestly never got worked out.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's unfortunate your husband is acting intolerant of you.

My situation is a bit different...more like aaSharon's post.

My "family unit" is falling apart in sobriety (I wonder how frequently this happens?). If there's a silver lining, it's the general lack of hostility over its demise.

I know divorce can be an ugly scene, so I'm grateful for the lack of drama going toward my own.

My husband has adopted a laid-back attitude toward it which at times confounds me, quite frankly. I mean, it would be nice to see an emotion, an expressed desire to keep trying, but it is what it is (a new, favorite motto of mine) and we are who we are.

As my h says, no use beating a dead horse. And our lifestyles are changing, or rather, mine is changing. He's still drinking. I can no longer go out with him and commence to drink for hours at the local bars. So there's a lack of commonality in our marriage which was booze.

He's not angry; I'm angry at times, but working through it. And there you have it; divorce, American style.

Good luck to you and your spouse as you work through your issues. Even through all this upheaval, my sobriety is so worth it!

Last edited by Carpathia; 03-20-2015 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Perfectionism
Old 03-21-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It is a constant work in progress for me, getting over the fact that no one is going to give me a medal for getting sober. I was truly shocked to learn that my wife didn't seem to care about my sobriety. I was sure that it would improve our marriage but it most certainly did not. I guess in some ways my drinking was like a coat of armor that protected me from the resentment, condescension, and sarcasm that are so prevalent in my relationship with my wife. Now the armor is gone and the fight in me is also gone. I have surrendered. I stay because getting divorced would be too hard on my young kids.

I had never thought about her losing a big lever on me because of my sobriety but now that I do it makes a lot of sense. It must be very frustrating.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone. It sounds like my experience is very much like what many of you went through.

Add this: I was asleep for so long, and now that I am awake, I am learning that he is no angel. He is doing, and has done things, that I am now learning about. It's funny how you think the sober one is "the good one".

Do I forgive and try to get HIM help now? Do we change roles? At this point, I just want him out of the house and out of my life.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

All of this is very eye opening to me. I never understood really why my exwife said she didn't care about my drinking.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have to agree with Shil. My xabf is in rehab right now for 18 months, court mandated. When he first sobered up we were together and parted so that he could "concentrate on himself". No worries, I'll clean up the mess you left behind shall I?

I don't know about Codie people, but I was jubilant at the thought of him taking charge of his life and affairs. What pissed me off was now that he was sober, he got preachy. So I started talking to him and treating him like I would anyone else who was now on my sobriety level and totally present for the conversation. And he didn't like it one bit.

Yes, the dynamic has changed. There is a lot of repressed anger. If many had taken no control there would have been evictions, job losses, kids neglected etc. etc. if you want to make it better, PROVE yourself with your actions. If you're only "working ur program" in the rooms or with recovering friends and not at home, we resent the living hell out of it.

Many have lived with the chaos alcoholics bring for YEARS. Being sober for a few months doesn't erase that pain. Good for you, but that means bean all the the people who were abused first by the alcoholic then by "programs" built for alcholics that want to teach them that they too are "powerless" and have a "part" in the disease. bollocks. We all have the power of choice. If they are Codie, that's their program to work. Go over to friends and family and read the number of people that have PTSD from living with an alcoholic. If they're only angry, you're lucky.

Don't blame ur loved ones for "letting you drink". Unless they pour it down ur throat thats on you. And you know you would have done it with or without them. That's a no win for sober partners. If an A drinks and we say nothing, it's watching a suicide. If they beg for beer and we say "no" it's a fight. Buy the beer and you're enabling and Codie. Don't buy the beer and suggest that they are killing themselves and destroying their homes you're "controlling". Btw. About this "controlling" would somebody like to tell me what in flames of hades we could have controlled? My xabf did what he wanted, when he wanted. If we could control, this forum would not exsist. Drugs and booze controlled him until the state of NY controlled him.

I have an eating disorder and just because my bf used to bring home tons of food, that doesn't mean he was responsible for my midnight binges. But I was angry at him for bringing it. DENIAL.

I think, and correct me since I've never been an A, the most damaging thing a non A can do in helping an A, wether is from control or love, is to rob them of their dignity of helping themselves. Which is a mistake I will never make again.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have been diagnosed with PTSD from my past marriage with my alcoholic X husband.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Agree with Ducky ..

How about: Just because the A is now sober for a few days does not mean the HORROR which they've created while drinking magically disappears for those who had to live with it.

Perhaps, when the A comes out his/her coma - he/she is just now becoming AWARE of what's been the reality of the life around them.

My XABF would stay clean for a day and expect that to mean things should be GRRREAT. What about the life I've been taking care of while you're GONE somewhere (physically or emotionally). Not so easy to flick the smiles and rainbows switch after that.

IDK.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Been on both sides, and I agree that things just don't get magically "better" when we stop drinking. My spouse was good and angry at me for over a year and much of it for good reason.

Alcoholics cause a great deal of damage to their families--sometimes lifelong damage--especially to children who grow up with the drunk doing their selfish crap.

I was "trained" to be a codie by my alcoholic mother, so the damage done is generational.

Harm has been done, and it takes much honest soul-searching and forgiveness and
truth as evidenced in long-term action for healing to occur.

Patience is needed on all sides. . .
Old 03-25-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thank you Hawkeye and congrats on the SOBRIETY! That's caps lock sobriety because it's the key to life. I can hear it in your post. Not just abstinence, real clarity. I pray my x gets there, but I know enough now to realize how far away it is for him though the last chemicals left his system in dec.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I have another little update. We went to a couple's meeting last night. It's called RCA - Recovering Couples Annonymous. It was pretty cool and when we got home, my husband finally expressed feelings that he has held inside for a long time, so positive all the way around.

Not sure what the future will bring but I feel good that we are both willing to try to make it work!!! My hope is renewed. :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by TryTryAgain View Post

Not sure what the future will bring but I feel good that we are both willing to try to make it work!!! My hope is renewed. :-)
Good for you, I am glad to see that you are both willing to work on yourselves.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thank you Carlotta. :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Try Try Again, I'm happy for your sobriety and it is wonderful to know you are happier than you have been in decades. And I can say this not even knowing you. I really believe that each relationship has a special dynamic. When that changes, such as you did by becoming sober, the other partner feels threatened. Maybe your husband doesn't understand his role in the marriage with you now sober. I know a person who is a lifelong drug user. Whenever he gets clean, his wife acts in the same manner as your husband. This is because she felt needed as long as he was a user.....he would crawl to her for forgiveness, etc., But when he was uplifted and not on drugs, he spent time at the gym and doing healthy things. You'd think she would be happy, but it really pissed her off. Communication is the key here, so I'm not sure how open you and your husband are with brutal honest communication, but you need to find out why he is not sharing in the happiness of your sobriety and bringing you down. I'm sorry you are going through this, but congratulations on your happiness despite what is going on in your marriage.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I see many new faces in the alcoholism forum - welcome

please do share your experience - but unsolicited negative opinions on other peoples recovery methods are against our rules and are only going to get this thread shut down and posts pulled - and none of that helps the OP at all.

Please remember rule 4

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.
Thanks guys

Dee
SR
Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
It is a constant work in progress for me, getting over the fact that no one is going to give me a medal for getting sober. I was truly shocked to learn that my wife didn't seem to care about my sobriety. I was sure that it would improve our marriage but it most certainly did not. I guess in some ways my drinking was like a coat of armor that protected me from the resentment, condescension, and sarcasm that are so prevalent in my relationship with my wife. Now the armor is gone and the fight in me is also gone. I have surrendered. I stay because getting divorced would be too hard on my young kids. I had never thought about her losing a big lever on me because of my sobriety but now that I do it makes a lot of sense. It must be very frustrating.
Have you thought maybe your wife has a lot of resentment for how you treated her when you were drinking? Maybe she is afraid to trust this new sober you and afraid you will start drinking again? Maybe the traits she didn't like but could blame on the alcohol are still there but the alcohol is no longer there as the culprit and so she is trying to deal with traits she never liked sober or when you wet drinking?

I am the wife of an A. And these would be some of my thoughts. I don't know your situation. But thought having insight into the spouse of an A might help. If my Stbxah ever sobered up and acknowledged all of the hurt and chaos he and his drinking caused and truly sincerely apologized and showed me he was thankful I had stuck around through all of that. I would think that was amazing and it would go really a long way to help our marriage and my recovery in the situation. This is just my opinion and I know it was unsolicited. But I thought it might help your situation. I applaud your sobriety and I applaud you staying in the marriage. Too many people in this scenario take the easy way out and leave.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am glad you have some renewed hope! It seems like the key in getting through a marriage with someone in recovery, is BOTH people being willing to recover, let go of blame, and putting themselves in eachothers shoes.

I've seen a few LOVELY "we made it" stories, and in all cases, both the alcoholic and non alcoholic spouse were in recovery, and then counseling. Hard work, but damn what an inspiration! Congrats on your sobriety BTW!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

3 weeks sober today. I find myself not Having any interest in talking to my wife. If we didn't have a child together I'd leave her pronto. We been together since 18 and I'm 36 at this point. Not sure how it will end but I hope something happens. Formthe sake of the child .

I'm hoping it not just her, but the resentment over the years built up, and booze help me cope with it my own way, but now that I'm sober, I won't be taking any **** from her that I don't like. I felt neglect all this time, and now it shows in spades what I'm dealing with.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Rustynails777 View Post
Not sure how it will .
With that kind of attitude? Probably in divorce if she has any sense.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
With that kind of attitude? Probably in divorce if she has any sense.
I agree! How do you even know or remember what happened when you were not sober? Don't you think she probably has just as much resentment if not more from your actions when you were not sober? Maybe now that you are sober, and you have devoted a big amount of time to this marriage, counseling would be a consideration for both of you? In my opinion, until we are willing and open to hearing what our spouse has issues with in us, then we cannot place blame or resentment on them. Just my opinion. And I am struggling each day to be a healthy person in my situation.