Notices

Question about behavior at AA meetings

Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
EndGame

This isn't about AA meetings, church services, or a bowling league. It's about your husband's behavior.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have asked him what's going on, repeatedly, and the answer is always something completely ******* & implausible. For example...

Last time he told me he was "going to a meeting", he then said he was going to "meet up with this guy C. there & see if he had his phone" (he had supposedly lost said phone whilst helping C. 'move furniture' during another of his overnight disappearances).

When he finally returned from said meeting/C's place, it was at 4am, & his excuse for taking that long was that he "had to search all over for his phone & when he finally found it, it was under C's house by a water main".

Anyone else want to weigh in on whether or not they buy that?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by mnh1982 View Post
When he finally returned from said meeting/C's place, it was at 4am, & his excuse for taking that long was that he "had to search all over for his phone & when he finally found it, it was under C's house by a water main".

A cop noticed a drunk crawling around in the middle of the street underneath a street light and asked him what he was doing?

The man replied "I dropped my car keys while opening the car door".

The cop answered "I don't see any cars around here".

The drunk replied "I know that... but the light is better here under the street light".
Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

It's only funny because it's true
Old 03-20-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have asked him what's going on, repeatedly, and the answer is always something completely ******* & implausible. For example...

Last time he told me he was "going to a meeting", he then said he was going to "meet up with this guy C. there & see if he had his phone" (he had supposedly lost said phone whilst helping C. 'move furniture' during another of his overnight disappearances).

No, I don't. I've seen a lot of husbands and wife's attend meetings with their significant other. Maybe you should consider that. John
Old 03-20-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I don't think we or you can fairly evaluate your man's excuses.

What is important is that he is doing a behavior which requires those excuses in the first place.

If it is unacceptable that you husband stay out until the wee hours, then that is unacceptable, whether it is because he is sitting in an all-night diner drinking coffee and talking about recovery or he's hitting the crack pipe behind the strip club...

If you are in a partnership with someone, and they are staying out all night repeatedly, then something is terribly wrong. It is not your job to police the behaviors of your partner (I personally would not attend an AA meeting with a partner or drive to see if their car was in a parking lot - if the trust is that eroded, the whole partnership just doesn't make sense!!). What is your job is to decide and hold your personal boundaries.

What I would do (and this is just me...): I would tell him that the issue isn't what he's doing while he's out. The issue is that he is staying out late and making me worry, and this is uncomfortable for me and isn't working. If he stays out past **o'clock again (whatever edge is your boundary), then I no longer want to be in this relationship. I need to trust. I need to not worry. Especially with all the drama that has already passed, I need to feel like we are moving towards peace and trust. And so on...

I don't want a partner who lies to me. Bam. That's my boundary.

With people we love, sometimes we allow a single "special circumstance" to soften a boundary's edge once. Maybe even twice. But it sounds to me like this is happening on a regular basis!

Your #1 task is to decide what life YOU want to live and then make it happen! What he does is not really relevant. If you don't like living in this relationship, you may need to leave the relationship. Personally, I expect someone who loves me to be considerate of my time and worry, check in when they're going to be late, and keep their promises...
Old 03-20-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wanna know what his excuse is for being so violently ill after being out until 5am Monday to Tuesday of this week?

Wait for it.

"I ate a can of salmon I found in the trunk of your car & it gave me food poisoning."

True story.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

As entertaining as that is, red flags are going up all over the castle

I've acted out similar behaviours.. Wish I had been brought into line sooner as I proundly regret some past actions ( even where I wasn't caught out)

Good luck
Old 03-20-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wanna know what his excuse is for being so violently ill after being out until 5am Monday to Tuesday of this week?

Wait for it.

"I ate a can of salmon I found in the trunk of your car & it gave me food poisoning."

True story.
Impossible. Canned fish is cooked inside the can. There is zero chance of food poisoning unless the can was punctured before he opened it. Why in the heck is he eating canned fish out of the trunk of the car? Can't come home to eat?

Sorry, but he's using and/or cheating. He is not at a diner, helping people move, or eating salmon until 4am. I say this for sure because I am a former liar and drinker. The excuses are the same kind of BS I used to make up.

Also I am sorry, I know it hurts.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When we can not fully trust our mate, our relationship and or marriage is in terrible trouble.

Time to seek out a good moral counselor.

MM
Old 03-20-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Trust your instincts mnh.