Notices

The sun makes me wanna drink so bad

Old 03-19-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The sun makes me wanna drink so bad

Living in England, particularly this time of the year it's not too often that the sun is shining and you can wear a t-shirt. But today is just one of them days...

The thought of being sat in a beer garden having a laugh with friends is nearly too hard to resist!!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

OGB - Was beautiful here yesterday & seems to stir the ole AV in a big way but knew it would only take away from such a beautiful day. Hold tight & really enjoy those days!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know the feeling. Even living in sunny Florida it's easy to succumb to spring fever and fantasize about sitting outside on a deck somewhere drinking a chilled white wine or a lager. It took me a while, but you'll eventually figure out healthier ways to enjoy nice weather!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's different for me now. The sun being out makes me want to stay sober and walk my dogs and enjoy the nice weather, not drink.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by OnlyGetBetter View Post
The thought of being sat in a beer garden having a laugh with friends is nearly too hard to resist!!
If that is all your drinking was, a laugh in the sun, you wouldn't have joined SR with the intent of becoming sober.

Alcohol calls...you don't have to respond.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Romancing the drink is your addiction speaking.

There are still beautiful outdoor spaces and friends, just something else to drink.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Nice outdoor weather, friends , laughter add some live music and good food, sounds awesome.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Omnivore

Originally Posted by OnlyGetBetter View Post
Living in England, particularly this time of the year it's not too often that the sun is shining and you can wear a t-shirt. But today is just one of them days...

Being at the beach has this same effect on me. I don't think it is romancing the drink. It is more associating one with the other. I enjoyed the beach before I ever drank. I'm sure I will get over the association some day. You enjoyed sun before you could walk! Have hope. Give it time.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

you have to make new associations
takes time, but it gets there. I'm in Canada where the first good sunny and anything 10 or above is patio weather.
so yah. I get it.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grateful

I could make a list a page long of things that made me want to drink -- and yes a warm sunny spring day would be right there near the top of the list.

But like Carl said, if a warm sunny day only meant a couple of beers with friends on the patio (or in my case on the golf course) I wouldn't be here. My problem would be what happened afterwards. The warm sunny day would turn into a night long trip to oblivion and waking up in hell the next day. I always try to remember the end of the story and not just the beginning. That always seems to bring me back to reality.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

I got a whiff of that nostalgia with the nice weather hitting MN. I have learned to separate fact from fiction when it comes to those thoughts. It is not fun to drink anymore, it ruins everything in the end even if it starts out fun. Start making good memories that don't include drinking and it will get better.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey all, thanks for your wise words and encouragement. I'm now home after a long walk, without any alcohol. It's dark and cold outside and I'm incredibly happy that I'm not out there drinking!

Thanks again :-)
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was always surprised at the things that made me think of drinking, things that in themselves didn't have anything to do with drinking. But somehow they got associated with drinking in my head. Like maybe working in the yard. Why? Maybe because I would go have a few after I finished? I don't know.

My problem is that the immediate consequences of drinking again are lower than for some. I was functional. So I'll never be "just one drink away from the worst day of my life."
Old 03-19-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good on you for not drinking onlygetsbetter
Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Way to go OGB.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Even though they are calling for snow here today, I have somewhat devised a plan for the warmer weather. I always sat in the back yard with my beer in the summer. And I always made a giant jar of sangria which looked so pretty. I'm thinking lemonade (I never drank that) and a non alcoholic sangria with all the fruit and stuff but maybe mix it with seltzer or tonic. I should research a recipe right now, lol

Jennifer
Old 03-20-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This may sound silly but I just have to keep reminding myself that 30% of people don't drink it all. And I'm sure these people have plenty of fun and relax. We can still have fun and relax it's just a different kind of relaxation that does not cause hangovers.

I remember before I ever started drinking I used to be able to sit on a comfortable chair on the porch and just look at the sunshine and listen to the breeze and I felt great. That feeling will return.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I remember before I ever started drinking I used to be able to sit on a comfortable chair on the porch and just look at the sunshine and listen to the breeze and I felt great. That feeling will return.
That reminded me of when I first got sober. I got sober in mid April and a couple of weeks later I was sitting out on the deck on a warm sunny evening and couldn't believe all of the chatter the birds were making...it was beautiful. I never heard the birds singing when I was sitting out there pounding down beers.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
~sb

a refreshing lemon water or lemonade is so much better than this.....

I never really sat in a beer garden enjoying the scenery, I was stuck inside my head the whole time, today, I can enjoy the scenery....

Love and Hugs to you
Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I'm in Kota Bharu at the mo and have been exploring Malaysia for the past few weeks. It is hot hot here up to 40c. Walking around the town tonight there are thousands of locals out enjoying the cooler evening. They stay up till all hours and seem to have a great time.
Yet there are no bars, no booze, no night clubs to be seen anywhere. But you can get some pretty amazing non alcohlic drinks, fruit juices, all kinds of tea and a variety of coffees.