Notices

Shaky Tech

Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shaky Tech

So I'm at work yesterday and this technician is there from the phone company A#&#. He's in working on a lady who suffers dementias internet and phone service. There's never anything wrong she just gets confused and messes up her computer so she calls the phone company (a couple times a month). He's in there for over an hour then seeks me out to get into the storage rooms where the service comes in and the punch down blocks are located. As I get with in 5 feet I can smell that familiar stench. He starts fumbling with his meter and the wires and his hands were shaking so bad he was having a really difficult time just trying to pick out the wires. He said there was a small signal drop to the apartment. Of coarse there is there's a mile of phone wire (copper not fiber) between there and the apartment. Came back an hour later and he got agitated when I found him still staring at the same wires and said "still at it huh"
So (6 hours in) his boss shows up looking kind of angry and I leave them be. All told 8 hours and they found and fixed nothing. Went back in the rooms to shut off the lights he left on and the smell still lingered. Hope he didn't get fired and hope he gets help.

Point is this really made me think? Was I that dysfunctional in the end? (probably) Could people tell and just not say anything? (yes) Would I have wanted someone this messed up working for me? (no) Is life constantly intoxicated a life wasted? (yes)

I wonder how much substance abuse costs employers each year. This was a union tech so that was a $$$$ waste.

Don't know why I posted this. It was just sort of a painful reminder of the past I guess.

Have a good night!
Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

There were definitely days I wasted my employer time and money due to a horrendous hangover. A great reminder of yet another benefit of sobriety
Old 03-19-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good post
Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

At the end of my most serious drinking I worked on the 40,000V equipment in the morning and after lunch(liquid) did the paperwork.