Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

I don't know if I will be able to cope with 180 days of this.

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

40th day sober.

Had a couple of good days last week but I'm having a hard time right now.

I hate feeling trapped inside a dream.

Staying sober and feeling half alive sounds like a terrible bargain...

Need some support.

Thanks everyone and sorry.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

It will get better congrats on day 40 Joez take it a day at a time by the hour if it helps

Your doing exellent
Old 03-16-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This battle is not won by making long-term goals. It's won day-by-day, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute. As a former sponsor told me, "just keep putting one foot in front of the other" and you will be ok.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, make the most of this moment, that's all any of us really have.

Moods happen, regardless of how long you've been sober. I can say that it gets much easier the longer you stay abstinent. It did take me about six months, too - but those six months were going to pass anyway.

Keep reading, stay busy. You're doing great.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, Joez. Just wondering: what are you doing for yourself other than not drinking?

I find that exercising helps me a lot (endorphins, sense of accomplishment, seeing results, etc.).

I'm pretty early in sobriety too, and I also have bad days. I guess we have to sort of take it on faith that it will get better. The overwhelming majority of people here who have a year or more of sobriety swear up and down that it gets better. I have no reason not to take them at their word, but let's find out for ourselves, huh?
Old 03-16-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

i walked around with gritted teeth and wanted to smash things for good part of the first year. I climbed the walls with anxiety. I kept going because I new drinking was not going to offer me any better of an existance. I figured if it didnt get better i'd just do myself in. But there was no denying that it was getting better even just a tiny bit sometimes.

Now i'm glad i stuck it out its gotten much easier since then. Have to push through it one day at a time.

Sometimes all your doing is logging days. just another slash on the wall another day down. Thats what it felt like a lot in the begining. But each day also brought many other things of its own that might make you wanna drink and each time i didnt it was more victories for me etc..

it'll ease up.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

I find that exercising helps me a lot (endorphins, sense of accomplishment, seeing results, etc.).
that helps a lot. I foudn things I was good at and just kept doing them over and over and over even tho it may seem stupid to make another batch of cookies for no stinken reason at all it gave me a sense of accomplishment made me feel as if i had some self worth even if all it was is that i could make some stinking cookies and watch some people smile as they ate them.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

40 days is awesome. 100% it will get better, unfortunately it will take a little time. Time to pay the piper as I like to think.
Is a great way to describe it, there is a scene in 'Fight Club' where the protagonist says something like "I am sick of feeling like I am a carbon copy of myself."
That is exactly how I felt..
Your brain is making so many adjustments now. It is getting healthy. Have you read about PAWS? If not check it out.
Drinking will not help and will actually make it worse. Take care of yourself.
"''
Old 03-16-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Joez View Post
40th day sober.

Had a couple of good days last week but I'm having a hard time right now.

Need some support.

Thanks everyone and sorry.
That was the very reason I didn't want to get sober. All my experience told me that sobriety was horrible.

I had to find a worthwhile alternative to alcohol. A way to live sober and be happy about it.. AA was the only thing I found that provided that solution on a permanent basis.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm on 3 months sober , I have a few good days but for me the bad days are still more!
I have got better slowly but it takes time for our body's to adjust .
Read my posts and then at least you won't feel alone .
Chin up mate and keep strong
Old 03-16-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.

Im just glad this day is almost over.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

It was the drinking all day, day in and day out, that I simply could no longer do. It was killing me. No matter how rough those first few days were, drinking would have only made them worse, and pushed me further away from finally turning the corner.

You know that staying the course is the only answer, so make it work for you. You have more energy, more time, more money, more of almost everything now. What will you do with these new abilities?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Last edited by freshstart57; 03-16-2015 at 07:40 PM. Reason: double
Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I spent about 23 years drinking. It would have been awesome if My melon would have straightened out in 23 days, but I knew that was t going to happen. It was gonna take T.I.M.E.
and it did get better, ODAAT.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tomsteve beat me to it. It does take time but it also gets a lot better. The second and third months seemed like the worst as far as brain fog but everyone's different.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Joez View Post
I suffered from alcohol-issues as a result of drinking.

I suffered from alcohol-ISM as a result of not-drinking.

The suffering did not stop till I treated the ISM component of alcohol-ISM with a daily program of action that attracted equanimity into my life.

Not-drinking has nothing to do with why I am sober today.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well done on 40 days. That's great. And hard. I identify a lot with what zjw posted about slash marks on the wall and feeling like smashing things. It got better for me when I started adding things into my life. Stick with it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

180 days? Once I decided that alcohol was part of my past and not part of my future life became so much easier. I have managed to stay sober for a while and it has been a day at a time.

Who knows what the future will bring but there is a very good chance I will be sober today
Old 03-17-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

How are you Joez
Old 03-17-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
180 days? Once I decided that alcohol was part of my past and not part of my future life became so much easier. I have managed to stay sober for a while and it has been a day at a time.

Who knows what the future will bring but there is a very good chance I will be sober today
180 days is the mark when usually most withdrawal symptoms go away. At least for a lot of people.

Im planning on staying sober for the rest of my life.

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
How are you Joez

Im ok, took a 15 minute break from work so I could take a walk, numb hands, anxiety and the ******* mind fog kept me company, but I came back feeling slightly better.

I don't feel as hopeless as I did yesterday, but I know that feeling will come back eventually.

Strange thing is I don't even have cravings (Dreams of me being drunk have been popping up more often though) its just that I hate the way I currently feel.

Sigh.