Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Refreshment and the theory of caffeine and alcoholism in a nutshell

Notices

Old 03-14-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Okay...

Let me start this by saying that for long, with more study I've started to be the catalyst for me starting to drink and unable to end the cycle was actually made mean subtleties of caffeine addiction, aka.caffeinenism. You will find this diagnosis and defition in the DSV-IV.

The basic gist the the theory is that caffeine accumulates in the body, and doesn't get excreted into the urine after a few hours, like is commonly believed and thought. This is because... the human kidney, is not able to take in the caffeine molecyle and it has to be broken down by the liver into various methylic uric acids...

Here we have the metabolic table, if you can understand it:
KEGG PATHWAY: Caffeine metabolism - Homo sapiens (human)

And so there. The problem with this accumulation is that detoxing from caffeine is really slow in practise, and the many metabolites can have similar effects to the nervous system as caffeine itself. Such as aggression, limited perception, memory problems, gaps and depersonalization, personality problems, depressing as a withdrawal effect (clearly documented this) and a host of other mental ailments.

The thing with alcohol and some substances is, according to theory, that they cause a melting of the shards in stacked caffeine in the body, and that caffeine then enters the bloodstream, causing agitation, restlessness and often subtle psychotic effects (see APA, american psychiatric association published studies on this if in doubt, it is well documented and beyond doubt real thus).

So it gets a bit more complex after that and I'm not willing to go into greater detail with this. But this could give you folks something to think about... no one is forced to believe anything presented here but I'd appreciate openmindedness for the scientific study that has been conducted on these manners. They are after all exact, undeniable, and most of the studies are actually performed well, so they don't get the questionable-status just like that.

I'd like to talk more about this if you folks were interested in hearing or reading more about it. But I'd like you still to consider the idea, that we are dealing with chemistry here, and while the av is some kind of mechanism of the psyche, brain, nerves and body together... there are others factors to it that may more accurate explain it. And that is what a true seeker of valuable science should strive for in my opinion.

A side note. If it truly were possible to back to drinking normally let's say once or twice a year without problems or damage to the human organs, especially the brain, if this were to be possible, I'd sure like to know how. Not that drinking is health or necessary, but still, you get the point.

Just something I wanted to summarize and clarify a bit.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
EndGame

Uh-oh.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drinking with no ill effects on mind, spirit, or body? I wouldn't want it. Are you trying to discover a way to drink? Please say no.

Jennifer
Old 03-14-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let us know when you have the white paper work written up and peer reviewed.

PS... Why would you post this stuff on a website called "sober recovery " ?

Wouldn't a site like Science Daily, be more appropriate?
Old 03-14-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Drinking wasn't really my problem, it was the drunk part that was the real stickler. It took a long time for me to see that the pleasure of being drunk came with too high a price. Organ damage was a very distant concern, the loss of my family, employ-ability, and my sanity were/are far more immediate concerns.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Unix....I truly fear for you right now, my friend.

If you truly believe that drinking is unnecessary then WHY are you trying so hard to find a way to justify your drinking?!?! Please give that some serious thought.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just don't understand why you're putting all this energy into this when you could be using it to invest into your sobriety.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

How are you feeling tonight Unix? Are you still on your bender or are you getting ready for day 1?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I am still confused as to what this scientific study is all about.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unix, I hope you are OK. I don't think your post makes much sense and I read it twice over. This reminds me of some of the long emails I'd draft while drunk and then read the next day and be happy I hadn't sent it out.

It seems to me as though you are either blaming caffeine for your drinking or trying to use this post to prove that you can drink in moderation when caffeine isn't involved. Either way, I think you need to focus more on what you can do to get sober and less about the scientific underpinnings of caffeine.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have NEVER been a caffeine drinker and I am still an alcoholic.

You do realize this website is called SoberRecovery.com not DrinkingModerately.com, right?

Hang in there and keep coming back! You will be done drinking when you are DONE making excuses...when you are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Good luck to you...I really mean that!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Drinking with no ill effects on mind, spirit, or body? I wouldn't want it. Are you trying to discover a way to drink? Please say no. Jennifer
Yes, unfortunately I think he is Jen. :-( F-ing disease!!!
Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well if the theory is correct, I will gladly give up alcohol so that I can continue to drink coffee and tea I love coffee far too much, and I know I'll never be arrested for driving while caffeinated, and I'll never be fired for drinking coffee on the job.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

The Romans did not consume caffeine but alcoholism was rampant in the Empire.
Quite a few of the emperors overindulged and Vitellius was a notorious drunk usually 'flushed with alcohol" according to Suetonius.
Emperor Nero kicked his pregnant wife Sabina Poppaea in the stomach and killed her in a blackout according to Tacitus.
Neither of them consumed caffeine.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dang it so all those booze and drugs I used to do and seek help for, it was the coffee that was sending me over the edge? Interesting theory...
Old 03-14-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The only comments I can make on this is that caffeine or coffee led me back to alcohol... I no longer touch cafe & only drink decaf tea.. I think for some people there is a link... Myself being one of them!!!!
Old 03-14-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Unix...the first step has 3 parts. 1. Honesty 2. Surrender 3. Acceptance

You need to learn to accept the fact that you can't drink and it will probably make your life much easier. No more brainstorming on how you can socially drink because that day will neverrrrrrrrrrr happen. If only curing alcoholism was something as easy as stopping caffeine lol. I'll tell you what caffeine has nothing to do with it!

I really hope these posts aren't giving other newcomers false hope about overcoming there drinking because ONCE YOU ARE AN ALCOHOLIC YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK TO NORMAL DRINKING. ONCE AN ALCOHOLIC, ALWAYS AN ALCOHOLIC.

Acceptance.

Your alcoholic voice got problems.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I'm hoping Unix is safe and sound in his bed, fast asleep. Maybe he can straighten out his theory in the morning. No matter what...no alcohol.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
New Life Sober

Wow poor unix!! I rather drink caffeine then drinking. I dont get hangovers when I drink coffee. Come back tomorrow when u are awake and read this. This could be your open eye to be sober and work on yourself and not worry about what caffeine does. Hope u are getting some rest see u soon..
Old 03-14-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Spending so much time on studying 'stuff' is letting the alcohol win, whether you are drinking or not. At the end of the day if you aren't drinking alcohol then it can't interact with caffeine. 10 seconds thinking about it, rest of the time concentrating on life.

Sorry to be blunt but this sounds like a way to justify carrying on drinking and blaming something else rather than taking on the responsibility of the decision to drink.