Notices

help me ..confussed

Old 08-17-2004, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Exclamation help me ..confussed

hi, i'm new to this i have a couple of questions .. i've been drinking heavy for a few years on and off but latley i've had to stop cause it has scared me enough to stop from fear of my life , the last few months have seen my uncontrollable drinking habits in social situations come to drastic messures i know i have a big problem i've lost all my friend as a result . has anyone here in the past had the problem of blacking out while drinking it happens to me alot in the last year
i started drinking the other night by myself and blacked out again it's scaring me this is just the tip of the iceberg but yeah ,,
Old 08-17-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome,
For starters your not alone okay? Many who suffer from alcoholism go through those blackouts, which can be terribly frightnening, wondering the unknown. Typically, they can occur at any given time when drinking, be it a newbie or an old timer at drinking. There is support available, there are many options, you have to decide what will work for you, but most can't do it alone.

It's good you realize it's time something must be done, and I'm glad you found us. We'll be here for you to lean on, seek out solutions, look for answers, but ultimatly, it's in your hands. *hugs*
Old 08-17-2004, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fear is good... ;o)

But only if we don't ignore the prodding...

And I've learned to ignore LOTS of things I shouldn't when it comes to using.... cause one of the tools of MY disease is denial and minimization of the impact on my life.

But.. it's a new day and it CAN be a new way... just by taking differnent actions... like looking for the local numbers for AA... or calling someone to let them know your struggling with alcohol..

There is an alcoholics section on this board...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...isplay.php?f=6

There is lots of confusion busting help there...
Old 08-17-2004, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Alone,

Welcome. I also had blackouts and they are very, very scary and I think become more frequent as time goes by. But, then alcoholism is a progressive disease.

I'm glad you found us and I hope you hang around and keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 08-17-2004, 07:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face welcome

My name is Trish and I am an alcoholic who experienced black outs pretty much from the start of my drinking , yes they are terrible and scary , acouple of times i have woken up in jail not knowing if I killed someone . I have heard many terrible stories of what people have done in black outs and am so grateful today that I didnt kill someone .Like Chy said you are not alone . I stopped drinking 9 and a half months ago using AA as my method of recovery and I am happy to say I have not done any of the things that I usto do while drinking .Prayers goin out to you ..^ Trish
Old 08-17-2004, 08:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Alone,
Welcome to SR. I'm an alcoholic for many years and have blacked out too. My husband started noticing it when I couldn't remember what he had told me the night before. It scared him and he insisted I stop drinking. I've been sober for a couple of weeks now and feel more in control than I have for many years.
I can't begin to tell you how much SR has helped me work through my feelings by reading the posts. I get chills to think where I might be this very minute if I hadn't happened on this website. I had been on a huge down spiral. Listen to Trish, Anna, Bikewench, and Chy. They have helped me so many times through their posts. I don't pretend to know anything since I am so new at recovery...but I do know that I'm making progress like none other.
You can find support and love here and make progress toward recovery.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like has been said here before,

You aren't alone now. The fact that you're here asking about your drinking tells me you may have a problem. People who don't have a drinking problem don't talk about their drinking problem.

Make a call to your local AA hotline and tell them what you've told us here. You won't have to be alone any longer than it takes someone to get to you to talk. Find an AA meeting and tell them what you've told us. You'll get some answers from folks who've done what you've done while drinking. Main thing is, don't panic and worry a lot. Just take it easy 'cause the help is there if you want it.

Glad you're here with us. Keep coming back.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, I've blacked out, it is not at all unusual. It is part of what happens to alcoholics when we drink over a long period of time. AA helped me, good luck.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Blackout? More times then I care to remember. Sorry, just making a little joke. Yes, I have had many blackouts. Sometimes I'd wake up, and I had lost days. Couldn't remember what I had done Mon-Thurs. I know somewhere in between, there had been many trips to replenish my supply. That just adds horror on top of horrors, drinking and driving. The thought makes me shudder. Tip of the iceberg? Yes, alcoholism progresses quickly. I hope your aware of that. It really is very scary how it can drag us down so low. Welcome to SR...I'm glad you've reached out for help. It's time to take action against your drinking problem. Good luck...

Take care,

Talia
Old 08-18-2004, 09:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Not alone
Infomation and help is available
Fear worked well for me to help me stop the drinking.

Gee how did you get that cut?
Wow where did you get that black eye?
How did I get home?
How did I make it into bed?
and a few girls I know have asked this question....
Did I make it into a bed?

Ignorance is bliss?
For me ignorance of what happened was fear filled.
Then the once finding out what happened was even more fear filled then the not knowing was.

When you are ready to deal with things, know there are support, info, and help available.
Just reading some of the many posts here, you will see others have been there and are proof that we can overcome the alcohol… just don’t pick up the first one, one day at a time.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Blackouts are a symptom of alcoholism.

Blackouts ( not to be confused with passing out ) are episodes where pieces of our life seem to be erased from our memory and yes the experience is terrifying.

I have woken up in the mornings and gone bolting down to the garage to see if my car was there because I have no recollection of driving home.I have been driven home on a number of occasions because I was too drunk to drive myself home and woken up the next morning calling everybody trying to find out where I had left my car.

I have been afraid to answer my phone because I know I had done something bad but can't remember what.I've woken up with black eyes and busted lips and I have woken up in places I dont even want to mention.

I have made promises to people who have later turned up on my doorstep.

Blackouts leaves me confused, shaken, demoralized, angry, fearful,anxious, remorseful.

Nah, I dont think I care too much for this blackout thing.....
Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Alone! Over the years I've done and said things that were terrible
only to be told about it by someone else later because I had blacked
out and didn't remember a thing. I ended forty years of abusing alcohol
at ****. Check it out. It works without withdrawl,
meetings,or other substitute crutches. Just quit drinking and get on
with your life! Good luck.

Catfish.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Catfish)))

Welcome to sober recovery, I found your recovery method intriguing, to say the least and checked out the link. I'm curious to how long you've been sober and using the technique? For alot of us, to just quit drinking and get on with our lives, well you know, after 40 years of abusing alcohol, isn't so easy. I must admit, my buyer beware red flag is up. (old school) Maybe you'd be willing to share more of your Lenair Technique experience with us. I'm interested in learning more, curiosity killed the cat. From what I understand, it includes three sessions with medical intuitive consultations, a nutrition recommendation, followed by reinforcment excersises? If you could elaborate more on the subject, I would appreciate it. Good luck on your recovery and thanks for sharing.

Take care,

Talia