Notices

Going out and not drinking

Old 03-14-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Going out with friends to a bar at four days sober is insane.

Of course, everything about alcoholism is insane, so this isn't a judgment of you.

If you want to get sober and stay that way, you must be willing to do WHATEVER IT TAKES. Be paranoid and ultra-cautious and take NO chances in the beginning. For the first SEVERAL months, at least, make it a practice to avoid alcohol. If you haven't gotten it out of your house, do it. Say no to invitations for a while. If it's something you honestly feel you cannot get out of (your best friend's wedding or something), then have a PLAN. I used to arrive late and leave early. I also got myself a soda as soon as I got there, concentrated on talking to the people I needed to talk to, and not sitting around watching other people drink. It's also a good idea to bring some phone numbers of sober friends you can call or text for immediate support if you need to. And if you feel AT ALL like you might drink, make your excuses and leave.

The question you might be asking yourself is how much you really WANT this.

Incidentally, you won't have to do this for the rest of your life (avoiding being around alcohol). Once you're on truly solid ground, there's no reason you can't go out and do whatever, as long as you have a good reason for being there. Most people who have been sober for a while find activities where drinking is the main event rather boring.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My first thought reading the top post just now was, well, she's not going to make it through that. Sorry it didn't go well. If you want to stay sober, you'll probably find that you'll have to make some significant changes in your life, and one of those things may well be, not going out with those same friends to that same old destination. You'll probably find that you can do those things later, maybe months later, but at 4 days you're barely through acute withdrawal and are at a point where you're most likely to lapse. The safest way to deal with those situations in early recovery is to dodge them and don't go out.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I can be around drink okay now though I don't go to pubs often - mostly to eat or watch a bit of music but I love this quote by Purpleknight 'I had to give up going out for weeks, build up some Sober muscles!!' birilliant xxx
Old 03-15-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey there. Yep, it was a terrible idea to go out and try not to drink at only 4 days sober! But I'm not going to let my failure from Friday stop me on my journey to recovery. I have had a massive chat with my parents and they have told me the best thing I can do is come home, and stay with them for a bit where I am away from the alcohol distraction! I can focus on turning my life around.

I have also had a long chat with my friend, and luckily, she says that, if anything it made her more determined to not give me the drink I so desperately wanted. She is fine, and I have explained everything to her.

Thanks again for all your support! I AM going to get through this addiction!!
Old 03-15-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sometimes we have to learn things the hard way.. lol.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Guard your sobriety with everything you've got. The way I saw it I had two options. I could spend a few months as a hermit and get sober or I could spend a few months drunk and hung over every day.

The time was going to pass either way.

I wasn't really a hermit I still saw people I just definitely limited my time in public. I needed as little stimulation as possible.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Guard your sobriety with everything you've got. The way I saw it I had two options. I could spend a few months as a hermit and get sober or I could spend a few months drunk and hung over every day.

The time was going to pass either way.

I wasn't really a hermit I still saw people I just definitely limited my time in public. I needed as little stimulation as possible.
Yeah, I know what you mean. After the first few weeks, I rarely thought about drinking when I was alone, but the more I was around people after those first two weeks, the more I wanted to drink. Don't get the connection, but I definitely need my alone time. John