Notices

Permanent Damage

Old 03-12-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Permanent Damage

Has anyone on here done permanent damage to their body from drinking?

Like, gotten Hepatitis B or something?

If so, what all led up to it and how did you deal with not being able to drink ever again because a doctor said it would kill you?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I believe that we all have done permanent damage to our body. We cannot put a toxin in to our body on a regular basis and expect all to be good. I have lingering issues related to a traumatic brain injury I acquired during my last drinking spell. Because of the number of head injuries I've received, further injury was best to avoid I was told. I found that it is better for me to ACCEPT that I cannot drink because bad will happen rather than to focus on being told to not do something. So far so good; soon to be 2 years and 4 months. It does get better, Calcified
Old 03-13-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Many people have done permanent damage to their body from drinking, and some die from it.

I know that I not only damaged my body but also the trust and the relationships all around me.

I don't look at it like "not being able to drink anymore" at all. I don't HAVE to drink anymore, which is a true statement because towards the end of my drinking I HAD to drink simply to keep my heart rate down and keep from going into physical withdrawals.

There is literally NOTHING about my life that is not better since I quit drinking, including my health.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post

I know that I not only damaged my body but also the trust and the relationships all around me.
I could have drank myself into liver failure and it wouldn't have come close to the pain of the damage in those areas I caused.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Take a look in the F&F forums, you will see that there are people there who have lost loved ones from the affects of drinking. It's heartbreaking and happens too often.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

Take your pick.

Anemia, Cancer, Cardiovascular disease, Cirrhosis, Dementia, Depression, Seizures, Gout,
High blood pressure, Infectious disease, Pancreatitis.

A miserable life was overlooked.

BE WELL
Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hep B is a virus. You don't get it by drinking.

Hepatitis B Information: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and More
Old 03-14-2015, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

I've got arthritis a dicky ticker and have had strokes. Not sure it's connected but fairly likely.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hep B is a virus. You don't get it by drinking.

Hepatitis B Information: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and More
No, but if you get it you can't drink.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My first husband almost died of liver/kidney failure due to his drinking. He was comatose and there was doubt for a time whether he would live. When he got well enough to have a liver biopsy, he was told he had EARLY cirrhosis, and that he would live a fairly normal life IF he stopped drinking for good. Cirrhosis is incurable, though stopping drinking can arrest its progression. Once it has started, continued drinking causes the scarring to continue, and eventually you die from it.

The way he coped with it was to dabble in AA for a while, and then go right back to drinking. It's been several years and somehow he is still alive, but this WILL kill him eventually (unless he does something stupid under the influence that kills him first).