Notices

Lost weight fast after quitting

Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost weight fast after quitting

Hi :-)

Seven months sober except a few beers which I disliked. Hate to be intoxicated now.

Drank heavily seven years straight. My weight was 286 pounds, and now I'm down to 198 pounds which was my weight before starting to drink. I loved to run before something made me switch to alcohol. Have not cared so much about what I eat, but I started to walk more after I quit. Is a rapid weight loss like that normal?

I get tired fast, and my blood sugar drops too low often. Have to eat less sugar. I notice my liver only when I'm dehydrated.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Alcohol has a lot of empty calories. Depending on how much you were drinking, cutting it out is bound to lead to some weight loss. But "normal" is a question for your doctor. I lost a lot of weight and concerned went to the doctors to eliminate the medical reasons for rapid weight loss.

Turned out it was nothing and a few months later I gained some of that weight back.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

In feb of 2012 i was 260lbs by october of that year i was 150lbs. I had my blood work done and too my doctors suprise i was normal aside from high cholesterol go figure. So yes in my case weight loss like that was ok and totally normal.

I also have blood sugar issues myself. It'll drop fast and low and i'll be spacy and light headed etc.. I have to keep the food flowing and I try to eat a lot of carbohydrates to keep my sugar up.

I sometimes wonder if my sugar issues are becuase i screwed something up with all the years of drinking and smoking. its hard to manage as well and is terrifying when I'm out and the sugar tanks and I gotta find food fast!.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks a lot for replying. :-)
Old 03-11-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome its nice to meet you
Old 03-11-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it is probably just your liver being able to process other nutrients now as opposed to just alcohol
Old 03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm new here! Only 4 days sober today! I have actually gained weight! About 3 pounds! But I am eating more carbs and stuff! Did your diets change at all, like eating more sugar? I was a 1 1/2 to 2 bottle a day wine drinker. Maybe it's the type of booze too? Beer vs wine?? I dunno!
Old 03-11-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

in my case i lost the weight through diet and exercise. when i quit drinking I only lost about 15lbs then it just stopped.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just did the math. You've lost 70 pounds in 7 months. Average of 10 pounds per month, 2.5 pounds per week. Which is pretty impressive.

However, I would check with the doctor just to be sure, particularly since you're experiencing some fatigue and low blood sugar.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks I quit eating minced meat and pasta for four in one meal. I began eating more candy though. Have been in touch with my doc, and he didn't raise concern.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

After a meal of home made full corn bread with protein on top and mayonese, I manage to stay in activity for maybe an hour before my blood sugar drops so low that I become tired and weak, like now. I ate much too, so I do not understand.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've gained weight from alcohol. And my drink of choice was vodka which I don't think has any calories. My thing though is when you drink, you likely will order a huge pizza. Not many drunks are mixing a veggie plate when drunk. Also, think that has the liver becomes inflamed, it doesn't metabolize fat; it stores it.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I gained weight back after I quit. For the last 3 months of my abusing, alcohol and pills was about 95% of what I was taking in so I was just withering away.