Notices

Not sure where to post this, health related.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure where to post this, health related.

So last year I was sick and had a bad cough. I got rid of the cough but lost my voice. My voice was gone for months before I went to an ENT who put some thing down my throat to check it out. Now if I remember correctly he said I had erosion in my throat pretty bad and he put me on rantadine and omeperazole. I have been taking the rantadine every day for months now and it works pretty good but of course when I drink (USED TO DRINK) my heartburn just would not stop even with medication. Now I have a horrible sore throat, well feels more swollen and is on one side only. It hurts pretty bad and it has been for around a month now. I am starting to worry that something may be very wrong here.
I know I need to see a doctor but had anyone had this happen?
Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had horrendous acid reflux when I was drinking. Burning, so uncomfortable I'm sure I winced and people could tell I was in pain.

I have found that 95% of drinking related health problems go away with sober time.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like Melinda a lot of my problems cleared up with sobriety.

If you're worried tho, why not check in with your Dr?

D
Old 03-10-2015, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Definatly get checked out by a Dr
Old 03-10-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, I need to get to my doctor. Of course I got a cold right now so I am holding off. I know I have acid reflux but the pain scares me!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes I had it and was diagnosed via an ENT surgeon about 3 years ago.
Basically the acid can cause a painful sore throat and the roof of your mouth can be sore.
Its not life threatening and I found if I took lansoprazole it kept it under control.

As well as not drinking, not smoking or being too stressed helped. Also staying away from spicy food.

If you can imagine the mucosal surface of the throat is usually very smooth.
When damaged by acid spraying upwards from your stomach, the cells can become sore and inflamed.
The symptoms I had were similar to a throat infection.
However only by examining my throat did they find it was acid reflux and damage.
It was explained to me that it the acid almost sprays like a fine mist up from your stomach. Imagine a deodorant spray - like that, but acid!
Lansoprazole is viewed a bit longer lasting(as in hours it works for) than omeprazole.
It is also wise to eat small meals on a regular basis.
Sometimes being upright in bed when sleeping can help avoid symptoms at night.

Acid and how we produce it, especially in times of over indulgence and stress is an individual thing. No 2 people are the same.

I had this diagnosed after stopping smoking 5 years ago and not drinking for about a year.
So all in all I was pretty 'healthy' when I was diagnosed with it.

Its probably nothing to worry about, however if the tablets you are taking are not giving you protection from the acid, then it is worth a trip to the doctors for further treatment.

I also found taking a magnesium type indigestion liquid - think you might call it Peptic AC where you are can help too.

Most of all though I can assure that the pain I had was significant. Some days it was severe. I never imagined acid could cause so many problems.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had reflux that used to give me a pretty sore throat along with major chest pains. I was scoped and found that I also had a hiatal hernia so the acid would come up. They also checked for Barrett's esophagus which you can get from prolonged reflux. That was a negative. I was taking Nexium everyday for years.
Funny thing. With in a few months of quitting drinking the reflux went away. I have not take the meds in over 2 years. No heart burn unless I eat a lot of red sauce.
I would do as others mentioned and get it checked by a Dr. Quitting drinking certainly should help though.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yeah, awful acid reflux and heartburn, gets so bad you can't do anything for a whole minute until that wave has settled down... figures though. alcohol is notorious for throwing out PH equilibrium.