Notices

it's been a long time...

Old 03-08-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

it's been a long time...

hello, all!

i used to come here several times a day. collectively, you all helped me through the thick of it. maybe some remember me... maybe not. but i remember you.

i took a path through blackout story time with my kids every night (to name just one branch of my drinking), to going to a 12step and coming here... and now, a couple years later, being okay!

AA didn't work for me (but it might for you), and coming here was fantastic for the early times (because you all gave support when i didn't even know i needed it)... but, after a time i took my own road.

and it has led me here... to health, to caring, to noticing the world around me and actually taking part in it. i read to my kids and not only know what i'm reading, i can recite it back to them the next day.

not much has changed in my life... i make meals, i tend house, i run errands, i do a few things for myself. but the kicker is now i know i'm doing these things, and why. and i remember them.

i just don't drown myself in a few bottles of wine every single day. (now i drink tea and seltzer!)

i didn't really know where to post this. there isn't a 'welcome back' option on the forum. but i am back... and i've been well.

i've learned in my time away that the path one takes to health (i don't like the term recovery anymore) is one or parts of many. only you... only you... can take whichever steps need to be taken to find a full, healthy life. and whatever your chosen path, it's worth it.

i found my way... but there are days (or more) that i don't know which way is up or inside a bottle. those days, i fight. the other days? i live.

SR helped me in the beginning. a lot. i would not have trudged through those horrifying days without all of you. you listened and shared (and ripped my ass over the coals, if needed!) and here i stand.

healthy, whole, free and joyful. never found that one single time in the bottom of a bottle of cheap red wine.

i found my way... after so many failed tries. it hurts, over and over again at the beginning. stay here with SR (and/or any other support you have) at the start. it will get better. i turned my three bottles a day of cheap red into, well... living.

and though it's been a long time since i've been here, i'm guessing some of the old friends are still around... and i just gotta say, if dee tells you something, take note. that cat seems to understand!

be free, fellow alcoholics (or whatever we call ourselves)... it's possible. and it's yours.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this post - both beautiful and inspirational.

Congratulations on your sobriety!!!!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey that is great to read. Glad you are here now, doing well and I look forward to reading more!
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So glad for the update! I love a success story, thanks for sharing that
Old 03-08-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you EM

D
Old 03-08-2015, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I like it!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good to hear you are doing good
Old 03-09-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Glad to hear you are doing well. I see you used Sr. at the start but it is not clear what you have done to permanently solve your problem, and I imagine a few people here would like to know more. Did you just get through the early rough patch and then, as you continued to not drink, did life just get better on its own.? Ultimately did you find that just not drinking was the answer or was there more to it?

Best wishes for the future.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your success story.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks, all. it's good to be back.

gotta... to answer your question, yes. once my brain and body dried out from the booze, i discovered that actually getting to live was way better than what i had been doing. so i chose to keep living. i did work with a variety of recovery methods, and gained many of the skills and support to keep me on the path of health. eventually i found that, for me, just keeping myself involved in the moments of each day... the living... made me healthier than focusing on the addiction. (that's kind of why i dropped off here, and let go of all the other recovery groups i got into. it's also why i now use terms like healthy and living instead of sober and recovery. it just works better for me that way. i don't really know why... but if it ain't broke, right?!?!)

anyway... i just wanted to come back and say thanks... and show my gratitude. every journey is different, but all are valuable. and mine started here. and i'm a better me now because of you all.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks, all. it's good to be back.

gotta... to answer your question, yes. once my brain and body dried out from the booze, i discovered that actually getting to live was way better than what i had been doing. so i chose to keep living. i did work with a variety of recovery methods, and gained many of the skills and support to keep me on the path of health. eventually i found that, for me, just keeping myself involved in the moments of each day... the living... made me healthier than focusing on the addiction. (that's kind of why i dropped off here, and let go of all the other recovery groups i got into. it's also why i now use terms like healthy and living instead of sober and recovery. it just works better for me that way. i don't really know why... but if it ain't broke, right?!?!)

anyway... i just wanted to come back and say thanks... and show my gratitude. every journey is different, but all are valuable. and mine started here. and i'm a better me now because of you all.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post congrats Em
Old 03-09-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi, ErsatzMatriarch! I definitely remember you! You were my classmate in the May 2013 thread! Welcome back!

I'm delighted to see you again!
Old 03-09-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey you won't believe it, but I was thinking about you the other day! So glad to hear an update. I remember you being involved in theatre stuff which I've got into in sobriety.
A great post to keep us forging ahead, thanks!
Old 03-10-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

hey leshar! i hope you're enjoying the theatre!!
Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Fantastic post!!