SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Here's the deal... Afraid of withdrawals... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/361271-heres-deal-afraid-withdrawals.html)

LionOfJudah 03-05-2015 03:58 PM

Here's the deal... Afraid of withdrawals...

I've done the withdrawal thing on my own. I've been sober for 3 months... and relapsed... I can usually drink a 10-12 pack of beer throughout the day.... I drank 6 today. I'm afraid of withdrawals and am thinking about checking myself into detox for 4-5 days. The taper method doesn't seem to work well with me. I rebound... back to where I am...all the time. I could do it with a lot of willpower... waiting until 4pm to drink... this is what I'm going to do if I don't get into a program. Any advice? I really want to conquer this once and for all. I'm serious about quitting.

MelindaFlowers 03-05-2015 04:02 PM

Going to detox May be one of the best things you ever do for yourself. Why not?

SoberLeigh 03-05-2015 04:02 PM

if you are afraid of withdrawals, going to the ER or seeing your doctor would be good. You don't have to suffer or take any risks.

Dee74 03-05-2015 04:03 PM

I think even just seeing your Dr could help bring peace of mind regarding withdrawal Lion.

I agree with you though - tapering was self defeating for me - no matter how noble my intent was when I was sober...One I drank, I drank like I always drank...the carton that was bought genuinely to last me 4-5 days tapering would be gone by day 2.

Carlotta 03-05-2015 04:03 PM

If you can get into a medical detox, that would definitely be the best/safest solution. Withdrawals are tricky. Some people quit fine who drank a huge quantity of hard liquor while others get really sick with a smaller habit like yours or even less.
You could also consult with your physician and get a prescription.
My advice would be that you follow through immediately after leaving detox with a meeting and/or other recovery oriented activity. Too many people just leave detox feeling good and decide to have just "that last one"

sleepie 03-05-2015 04:14 PM

If you really want to quit definitely see a dr. or go to detox if you can, medically supervised is the safest way to go.

KAD 03-05-2015 05:14 PM

At the very least, see a doctor. He/she can help you through the withdrawals, but the most important part comes afterward...what are you going to do to maintain your sobriety? That's the part I kinda ignored, until this last bender when things got worse than ever. I got to the point where what the doctor gave me wasn't working anymore, and I did end up in detox, and then rehab. But I got the "tools" in rehab that I think will work to help keep me sober. There are ways for you to get help without doing what I did. Don't let it get that far!

Soberwolf 03-05-2015 06:13 PM

I agree with what D said

Good luck LoJ

Hevyn 03-05-2015 06:15 PM

I also agree with Dee, & I'm really glad you're taking action Lion. You'll feel so much better when you get free of it. We're with you.

roany 03-05-2015 09:54 PM

Try the doctor. I was able to taper once. But never could after that. I'd always say one more won't hurt....then I was drunk, and right back to where I was. You can do this.

Mountainmanbob 03-05-2015 10:02 PM

Detox has saved many
and given them nice sober new life
MM