Notices

To the sober people...

Old 03-04-2015, 05:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

HI.
When I finally stopped drinking, years before the internet, AA was the only widespread program that worked for millions and BHTGOG I got immersed and probably addicted to it. I could have done far worse, listening to myself!

BE WELL
Old 03-04-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This site and especially "AVRT Explained" here:Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information. Something clicked for me and it has for many others but either way not drinking until sober DOES make sense (and it will) has worked for everyone here from what I've read.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This site has been invaluable. Even on days when I don't post much, I am on here everyday reading.
I don't use AA or any other program (right now, I know they are there if/when I need them and would readily jump in)
I keep it simple. I just DON'T drink.
I think Nonsensical said it best - just b/c I FEEL like drinking doesn't mean I should or have to.
Learning to combat the everyday stressors in life with healthy strategies instead of just grabbing wine. (exercise, meditation, cleaning something! LOL)

and always (as best as I can) - keep the memories of what drinking has done to me close. As much as I would like to forget my 2 DUIS and all the other crap - I also don't. I need those to keep me humble.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol does nothing and takes all.
Alcohol is poison.

You cannot post to much.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LionOfJudah View Post
What can you attribute to your success with being sober? what has helped you? Thank you for all of your responses... it helps me. I think I'm posting too much in my sobriety. oops.
You can't post too much as long as you are honestly trying to quit. That is the reason this sight is here.
As you know the first 2 weeks to a month are intense. One minute things are just fine,and the next you can be gritting your teeth together.
It's hard to explain,but you have to lock your mind into the fact that you just aren't going to drink. If the little alcoholic devil on you shoulder thinks there is a chance you might give in,he will torture you until you do.
I have probably used this example too many times,but it described the 'devil on my shoulder " to a tee. He is like a kid in a candy store throwing a tantrum. If the kid thinks there is any chance he will get any candy he will keep on throwing the tantrum. Once you remove the kid from the candy store,and he realizes there is no candy to be had it is soon forgotten.
You have to get it locked into your head,that giving in just isn't an option,and you might as well forget about it. Once the option is taken completely off the table it does get a little easier.
Just don't give up,and post too your hearts content.
I wish you the best...... Fred
Old 03-10-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Spiritual development which garners a power not of myself keeps me sober. Dee stated the corollary to "just don't drink"

REGARDLESS of what will and does happen in life I find other ways to deal with the joy and sadness of this human existence......

AA has given me a lot of tools and SR has it's place as well.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My first day sober, very much nervous
Old 03-10-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Calikidd its nice to meet you
Old 03-10-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

Originally Posted by LionOfJudah View Post
What can you attribute to your success with being sober? what has helped you? Thank you for all of your responses... it helps me. I think I'm posting too much in my sobriety. oops.
Knowing whole heartedly that if I drank again it would lead to my eventual death, or at least to the point that I would want to be.

The biggest thing was finding healthy replacement activities during my first year of sobriety, finding things to do during the times I used to drink to make sure I stayed mentally engaged.

Also, making and sticking to my recovery plan.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Surrender. Until then I was lost in the vicious circle, trying to find a way to drink like a normal person, trying to have the life I dreamed without giving up the bottle.
Surrender is the reason I was able to set aside my pride and ask for help. It is what led me to put aside my prejudices and fear of groups and all my shame and go to AA. Without surrender I would have kept trying to do it my way, and that never worked very well.