Notices

Coffee...

Old 03-03-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Coffee...

Does anyone in here drink coffee? I read that coffee cleans the liver. I, myself, drink about 3 cups of coffee a day. It's something I look forward to in the morning.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have cut back on my coffee drinking substantially, the caffeine makes me a lot more anxious/jittery than it ever did in the past. I still like it though.

Regarding it "cleaning" your liver i'd say be careful about what you read. The liver cleans itself and the blood....including the caffeine and other chemicals that might be present in the coffee.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I drink 4-5 cups of coffee per day.....Sometimes around 3pm I'll pick up another cup at the C-store.

Interesting timing with your post - this is all over the news wires this morning relating to heart disease and coffee consumption. I just happened to link with this news outlet, but every major source is reporting it today......

Three to five cups of coffee a day may prevent heart attacks, says study

Three to five cups of coffee a day may prevent heart attacks, says study | Society | The Guardian

Drink up! Black no sugar is best for those who indulge......
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drink coffee. Too many (some days, but I'm working on that).
I've had 2 today and am trying to hold off until after lunch for my 3rd. LOL
Old 03-03-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read about a study conducted in, I think, Singapore which said that coffee consumption had a somewhat protective effect from cirrhosis of the liver caused by viruses (Hep B & C).

There was another study around 2005/2006, I think, that talked the positive effects of coffee upon the liver but the study results contained all sort of 'qualifying' statements.

Bottom line, though, coffee was neither a cure nor anything near a 100% protective mechanism.

Drinking is not worth the risk. If you have liver disease, YOU have it 100% no matter what; the percentages then make no difference at all.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love coffee, and also look forward to it each morning. I will usually have 2 in the am and maybe one more around 3pm.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One in the morning and on work days I'll have an iced coffee in the afternoon. I don't put too much stock in the constant health reports about this food or that drink. They're constantly changing. Moderate coffee consumption and a reasonably "clean" diet is my MO.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

seriously. One study tells you one thing and then the next day, another disputes it.
I try to just be smart and listen to my body. I did notice that after 4 coffees, I don't like how I feel. And as someone with insomnia - I have to make sure I get those in before 2pm (ish) or there will be hell to pay that night. LOL
3 seems to be the perfect amount. But I know lots of people who drink way more than that daily and seem to not be affected by it.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A cup of coffee helps fill the empty spot in your hand where you/I used to hold a beer,or drink. I drank coffee long before I quit drinking though.
A lot of AA halls have a coffee pot picture on the door,or coffee pot sign out front. And they ALWAYS have coffee inside.
But yea,I love my coffee.
Fred