Notices

I still have tremors. I'm so upset.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I still have tremors. I'm so upset.

It's been 45 days since I last had a drop of alcohol. I was planning to do this; thought about it for way too long, and now here I am on day 45. I actually couldn't remember the days -- I suppose that's a good sign -- but I am spaced out, completely without energy or a thought in my head, and SHAKING.

STILL.

Is that normal?

In the beginning,having read all about what to do I pounded the thiamine, took tons of supplements and complemented that with one Ativan a day to protect my brain and my GABA receptors from catastrophe. I was *much worse* than I ever expected to be from drinking at least a bottle of wine and occasionally more every day for five years. I thought it was a phase, then it turned into...something else entirely -- but regardless -- I AM SHAKING!! STILL!!!

I'm embarrassed by it, and scared. I thought it would stop by now but it hasn't. It's not all the time but some days are horrible and some days are okay -- sometimes it just stops on its own and comes back...I don't know what to think. It makes me want to cry sometimes, I can't seem to function and I can't make this stop or control it.

I thought I would get really thin and bright eyed and clear and I am not that at all, I am puffy and whacked out and clumsy and shaking. In fact it feels like today is WORSE, completely, than, say, day 30 or even day 15.

Is this going to stop, ever, or am I stuck this way?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It may be completely unrelated to previous alcohol use. If it continues I would see a doctor. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anxiety can cause it. Is that something you have dealt with? Do they stop when you are calm? Are they mostly prevalent when you are alone and thinking about it? Are there any other symptoms? I'm no doctor, but anxiety (especially health anxiety) is something I have dealt with since I began the process of leaving alcohol behind.

If you feel they aren't anxiety related, go see a doctor.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the only way for you to get real answers and reassurance here is to go to your Dr medicatrix?

D
Old 03-02-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well. Thank you for your answers though they're not reassuring...
Old 03-02-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Meditrix, we aren't doctors here, most of us are just folks recovering from addictions. Do you know about PAWS? You might look it up. Have you been taking benzos? The Ativan is a benzo, it's hard to withdraw from, especially without medical help.

Best thing you can do is not drink any alcohol and see your doctor for a good physical. That would put your mind at ease.

Love from Lenina
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi medicatrix!
I think your best option is to go to your dr and let him know what's going on. Everyone's body is different and the things we go through when quitting alcohol are different. It's obvious that this is causing you a lot of stress and anxiety which may be exacerbating your symptoms. I hope you'll get to the dr so you can get some peace of mind.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If I could reassure you, I would
I have tremors but I've had them all my life (cerebral palsy) so my experience is not of any use to you.

The truth is tho, there's as many small time reasons for tremors as big time ones.

As Lenina said the very best thing is to see your Dr. and staying sober.
I'm hoping you find some reassurance.

Keep us updated - best wishes.

D
Old 03-02-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I still had occasional tremors in my thumb when typing texts at 45 days. At 8 months they are 99.9% gone but teeny itty bitty ones I still notice when texting.

We only get healthier the longer we are sober!
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by medicatrix View Post
It's been 45 days since I last had a drop of alcohol. I was planning to do this; thought about it for way too long, and now here I am on day 45. I actually couldn't remember the days -- I suppose that's a good sign -- but I am spaced out, completely without energy or a thought in my head, and SHAKING.

STILL.

Is that normal?

In the beginning,having read all about what to do I pounded the thiamine, took tons of supplements and complemented that with one Ativan a day to protect my brain and my GABA receptors from catastrophe. I was *much worse* than I ever expected to be from drinking at least a bottle of wine and occasionally more every day for five years. I thought it was a phase, then it turned into...something else entirely -- but regardless -- I AM SHAKING!! STILL!!!

I'm embarrassed by it, and scared. I thought it would stop by now but it hasn't. It's not all the time but some days are horrible and some days are okay -- sometimes it just stops on its own and comes back...I don't know what to think. It makes me want to cry sometimes, I can't seem to function and I can't make this stop or control it.

I thought I would get really thin and bright eyed and clear and I am not that at all, I am puffy and whacked out and clumsy and shaking. In fact it feels like today is WORSE, completely, than, say, day 30 or even day 15.

Is this going to stop, ever, or am I stuck this way?
Maybe we can help each other.

I have at least made some progress. I would like to know more about the Ativan and how that is supposed to help. That one is new to me. I am new to this forum so maybe it is something well known. I would highly recommend you get a hair analysis done so you can see what balance is of your minerals. Taking supplements can actually do more harm if you don't know where you stand. Plus this can be cheaper in the long wrong because you'll save money on vitamins/minerals you buy since you will be targeting them. I'll be saying that a lot on this forum since it helped me so much.

Since that may take a bit I would say at least get a digestive enzyme and add it to your diet. It does wonders in getting your nutrients absorbed. I believe anyone that has drank long enough has a compromised pancreas that is not digesting fats very well and those vitamins that go along with fat. Eat a nice fatty meal and then on your next bowel movement try to get a light and look at the top of the water and see if you see a sheen. If you do, you could have problems assimilating nutrients from your food. This is why alcoholics have so many problems. If the liver can't process the food it has to go somewhere. So your STOOL will tell you a ton of information. If you having some of the problems I had then your stool may not be big and plump and may not be dark brown. It may be thin and pale or yellowish or light brown/orange. Food can definitely play a role in the color and makeup but you'll know what I mean if you see this problem on a consistent basis. I think it is one of the biggest factors to look for in your prognosis.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had terribly stubborn case of tremor when I finally quit drinking for good, and I felt exactly the same about it as you do. It was sooo frustrating! If I had a dime for every time I thought "will this EVER go away???", I'd be able to retire.

I'll be 2 years sober in a couple of weeks, and FINALLY I can say the tremors are almost 100% gone.

Bottom line is that it's different for everyone, but 45 days is by no means on the outer edge of the bell curve. Try to be patient -- it WILL get better!

By the way, I never found any medications that were effective against the baseline tremor. Benzos and beta blockers were helpful in keeping the tremor from getting much worse by limiting extremes of agitation, nervousness or upset, but if I took them when I was calm they didn't do anything to reduce the tremor.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If I were the sobriety guru I would say to anyone: wait six months of no alcohol to really take an inventory of how you're doing and where you're at.

I took six months to feel centered and mostly healed.

(Side note: each month was an improvement from the last. It only gets better.)
Old 03-03-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It may be something else--see your doctor. I have "essential tremors" and my doc has me on a VERY low dose beta blocker. Alcohol exacerbated these tremors.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm at 64 days. I had the shakes on and off for 40+ days. Theyre gone now. I've read of people having shakes for months on end. It's not unheard of. No harm in seeing a dr tho. If I had to guess tho I'd say in a month it should be much better
Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Also if I got stressed at all they came back full on. Like the full on withdrawl was still hiding under the surface.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
zjw

your post reminded me of how i felt in early sobriety when I wrote something down that described how i felt. So out of curiousity i checked the date on that document to see when it was. I was almost 100 days sober and still in terrible terrible shape. I didnt have tremors but I felt like all day long i stood on the edge of a cliff stareing down panic stricken and I felt as if i had no control over this feeling. It could be a totally find day but i felt that way anyhow.

I had good luck with a couple supplements you can PM me if your interested. But ultimately it came down to running that clock as time seems to be the best healer.

I have over 3 years sobriety now and I can tell you its worth it to stick it out. But that it was not always so simple.

I liken those days as sometimes the journey is more important then the destination. I sorta needed that hell myself so as to never make that mistake again. I hope anyhow.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have mild hand shaking and have for years. I attribute it to anxiety. I don't drink so I know it's not that. Don't be alarmed. It takes a while to get into a certain shape, and will take a while to get it all back. I would say the more you can relax about it the better off you will be.

Good luck, be well!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks again for your answers everyone.

I've been really going off the rails trying to solve this one symptom. I have a kitchen counter that looks like a madwoman's vitamin laboratory, supplements from a thousand different websites.

It's been my obsession ever since I stopped drinking. They are worse sometimes, better sometimes, and improve with meds I don't want to take. Ativan actually does not help although I did think that maybe my pretty fast taper off of those might have been causing them. But taking more ativan, unfortunately, does not seem to help either.

Ativan is a med that people are given in alcohol treatment because it acts as a chemical "taper" from alcohol. Both increase the uptake of the brain chemical GABA-- people who are going through detox under supervision are dosed with this to prevent serious withdrawal symptoms.

I don't know if it helped in my case, I just took it as extra insurance I would not end up in an ambulance.

I have been to see a neurologist, who offered me Cymbalta and muscle relaxers.He did not know I had only been sober for about ten days when I first saw him though, and was not mpressed with the tremor, which seems to be something only I notice.

I do have an anxiety problem which is why I own some ativan. I have never taken it *with* alcohol; only when I was not drinking and could not sleep. I've gone on like that for about a year; I stopped for 19 days a couple months ago; another month another couple months ago. I was disciplined about it because i did not want to die.

Before this tremor started running my life, my biggest anxiety problem was agoraphobia and an inability to drive without being on the verge of a panic attack. Then one day I thought, you know...hey, maybe you have an anxiety problem because you drink too much. Maybe this drinking yourself to sleep thing is not working.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by medicatrix View Post
Thanks again for your answers everyone.

I've been really going off the rails trying to solve this one symptom. I have a kitchen counter that looks like a madwoman's vitamin laboratory, supplements from a thousand different websites.

It's been my obsession ever since I stopped drinking. They are worse sometimes, better sometimes, and improve with meds I don't want to take.

I don't know if it helped in my case, I just took it as extra insurance I would not end up in an ambulance.

I have been to see a neurologist, who offered me Cymbalta and muscle relaxers.He did not know I had only been sober for about ten days when I first saw him though, and was not mpressed with the tremor, which seems to be something only I notice.

I do have an anxiety problem which is why I own some ativan. I have never taken it *with* alcohol; only when I was not drinking and could not sleep. I've gone on like that for about a year; I stopped for 19 days a couple months ago; another month another couple months ago. I was disciplined about it because i did not want to die.

Before this tremor started running my life, my biggest anxiety problem was agoraphobia and an inability to drive without being on the verge of a panic attack. Then one day I thought, you know...hey, maybe you have an anxiety problem because you drink too much. Maybe this drinking yourself to sleep thing is not working.
These are all huge things that surprisingly, should put your mind at ease, at least for a bit. You are still early in your sobriety, and never underestimate the effect anxiety can have. I can only speak for myself and friends on this point, as I am neither a doctor nor a psychiatrist, but for me, if I have one symptom that seems to outlast the normal timeline I hyperfocus on that symptom and my thoughts rarely leave that symptom and it becomes debilitating. It may be scary, but see a doctor and be honest, I would bet they aren't nearly as worried as you are, especially after just a short sober time.