Notices

Being present

Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being present

I know I've talked about health and fitness as motivation, but I something else I would like to improve on is being present in my life. I have the most wonderful wife in the world. I cannot say enough good things about her. heck, she puts up with me, that's about all that needs to be said. She does not deserve having someone like me around on the weekends. I also want to become more present in my nephews lives, my employees, the list goes on in on. Sure I'm there when I have to be, but it doesn't always feel genuine. It feels contrived. I care about these people greatly, I owe them more than I am currently giving them.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

I spent a lot of years dialed out of what few relationships I had. I was always either a little drunk or a little strung out. Life in perpetual brownout. It's a disrespectful and uncaring way to treat other people, and I wish I could go back in time and be more giving of myself, especially to my family. But I can't, so I try to act differently now.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I know I've talked about health and fitness as motivation, but I something else I would like to improve on is being present in my life. I have the most wonderful wife in the world. I cannot say enough good things about her. heck, she puts up with me, that's about all that needs to be said. She does not deserve having someone like me around on the weekends. I also want to become more present in my nephews lives, my employees, the list goes on in on. Sure I'm there when I have to be, but it doesn't always feel genuine. It feels contrived. I care about these people greatly, I owe them more than I am currently giving them.
Great Thoughts Thomas. I've been there. We call them codependants. They tend to work around our behavior and abuse.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

being present for me means something similier. A good example would be I walk into a room and my daughter typicaly says "hi dad" I either respond or I dont. Its habit for her to say this. But I either am present and say hello back or i'm off somewhere else allowing my mind to take me to who knows where instead of being present right there in that moment saying hello to my daughter.

I have situations like that all the time.