Notices

Working While Sober

Old 03-02-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working While Sober

Its much better than working while drunk. Its not my first job since getting sober. I'm not the s*cky employee. The one that everyone sniggers about behind their backs. However, one of my bosses doesn't like me. This has been since day 1. I have thought long and hard about this and I know what my faults as an employee are. My ADD is definately an impediment but its something that I am trying to work around. I see how it impacts my work progress. I'm doing my best though. Its the first time ever I think that I have worked hard at a job. I'm taking my medication so I can do that. I try to plan my days and set goals and whatnot. Anyhoo, when I don't get things perfectly right it makes me want to just run away and find another job.

That is what I would have done were I drinking, especially when my boss says things like, "I'll send the f*cking thing myself." I know my boss is difficult to work for. He went through 4 assistants in one year. So I know I'm not imagining things. Thankfully I don't have to interact with him all that much.

Even the slightest mistake makes me feel crushed and I will worry about it the whole day. My job is supposed to be done by two people and part of me wants to stay and fight this out to prove I can do the job and the other part of me is like there is no way you can do this job well if it was meant for two people. I'm staying because I don't want a 6 month job on my resume. I want to stay for at least a year and because I'd like to go to grad school and want references from at least 2 jobs.

The last person who did my job just did it badly. Pretended to collect money that she didn't actually collect. the person before that quit because there was too much work. I don't think that a second person is going to be hired any time soon as they were well aware of this work situation before and never hired a second person.

I want to run away to another job but I now know that running away either with alcohol or running away to another job isn't necessarily the solution. After all there is no guarantee that I wont find exactly the same solution just in another place.

OTOH, I am happy that i even have a job to complain about.
I am grateful that
I can see my fault in the way my work situation is going.
I don' t have to worry about people laughing at me behind my back or gossiping about how I smell like alcohol.
I can show up every day.
I pulled it together enough to apply for health insurance so I can afford my medication and then to take my medication every day.

What do I do? I'm paranoid about getting fired.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey life!

If your unhappy with your job, why not look around and send out some resumes and see what happens? You can always do that while still working. You might find something thats less stressful and a boss that doesn't fill you with dread!