Notices

Addiction as an allergy

Old 03-01-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Addiction as an allergy

When I was in rehab, we were taught that alcohol addiction is due to an allergy of sorts, that alcoholics do not process alcohol the same as non-alcoholics. So, given that the particular rehab facility I went to didn't just treat alcoholics but treated addicts of all kinds, a heroin addict asked an interesting question. He wondered if all addicts suffer from a similar "allergy" which sets them up to become addicted if they use a particular substance.

The instructor gave the sort of answer I would have given, being a layman in the science of addictions. He urged us not to dwell on that aspect of addiction but just focus on the fact that we are addicted and to work the program to manage our addictions. I'm just curious what others here think about it.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think I actually am allergic to alcohol... the last few times I drank I got crazy congested while partaking and the next day too. I have other allergies but when I drink they are so much worse!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Allergy may be useful as a metaphor, but it is not an allergy by any medical standard of meaning. In the medical sense, the body has a unique and harmful reaction that involves the release of histamine which causes runny nose, water eyes, constricted airways, swelling and itching, or even anaphylaxis. I didn't have any histamine issues with alcohol, and I doubt that alcoholics do either.

There are a very few who actually do have an allergic reaction to alcohol, requiring an epi pen, that sort of thing. They can't become alcoholics, obsessed with its consumption, drinking to blackout etc.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe we are biologically different at the DNA level.

I don't call it an allergy, but an inability to properly process certain substances. Look up Pharmacogenetics.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh yeah I agree with that! I never used to get an allergic reaction when I drank... it's only been in the last few years and I certainly did it to myself.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD

What we were told was that alcoholics lack certain enzymes to process alcohol the same as non-addicts. But it is a good point that we don't all become addicted right away. It was many years before I became physiologically dependent. The psychological craving was there, but there were no withdrawals whenever I stopped. That all started around 8 years ago.

It's probably a pointless topic. It's just something they put a lot of emphasis on, but I think that may have been in an attempt to appease those who wanted scientific proof that alcoholism is a disease. To me, it doesn't matter all that much anymore whether or not it's called a disease. I know from experience it certainly "behaves" as one and follows a predictable path if left untreated.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you look at Pharmacogenetics, the theory says that without certain enzymes (in the liver) we process drugs differently (slower, in fact.) We can have some but not a lot - a lot becomes toxic.

I actually had DNA testing done due to problems I have with SSRIs and some other drug classes. I metabolize certain drugs slower than the average person. They build up in my system and become toxic. Regularly prescribed doses of certain pharmaceutical drugs cause me to have really bad reactions to them after extended use. That's why there are drug-reaction warnings - a certain percentage of humans have variances/mutations in their DNA (and it is Cytochrome P450 2C9 for me) that cause the liver to not process some substances efficiently. Different genotypes have issues with different drug classes. Some drugs in normal therapeutic doses can kill some people.

The tests are available...genetic testing is becoming more accepted in general medicine. It's just a matter of time (or enough lawsuits) before testing will be commonplace.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Light can be explained with both particle theory and wave theory. Neither is wrong.

Addiction, too, can be explained by a number of theories. In the end, light is still light and addiction is still addiction. I leave the "why" to theorists.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There definitely is a certain incompatibility with alcohol that I have, the causes and whys I have no idea on, it's like someone with a nut allergy, the solution is to not go and buy a bag of nuts or try to eat nuts moderately, it's simply a no go area.

For me alcohol is the same, parting ways with alcohol is the solution to my problem regardless of the reasons!!
Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Allergy is a useful metaphor at the least, setting aside the aspect of liver function.

I am prone to attacks of hayfever. I have had this all my life and there does not appear to be any permanent cure.

There are two treatment options:
1) Avoid the allergen.
2) Take anti histamine to treat the symptoms, but this does not cure the allergy.

Though suffering from hayfever a few days ago I have since recovered. There is no allergen around at the moment though I used the treatment on the day to relieve the symptoms.

With hayfever I do not continuously take antihistamine as a preventive. It doesnt seem practical and the symptoms are not life threatening. The medication works quite quickly.

There is no medical treatment for the alcohol "allergy", only complete absitinance.. The factors that might cause alcohol to reactivate the allergy can be managed by willpower (except in my case) or psychological or spiritual methods where we learn to live and think in a different way that has no room for alcohol. Unlike antihistamines, these methods usually work best as a preventive.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

All I know is that when I was young, it only took me 15 minutes to feel the effects of taking one drink. Near the end of my drinking career, it took as much as an hour before I felt the effects of my first drink.

By then, I had already taken 5 more. It was already too late to stop at where I had originally planned. Kind of like the "Lemmon Quaaludes" scene in Wolf of Wall Street.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
All I know is that when I was young, it only took me 15 minutes to feel the effects of taking one drink. Near the end of my drinking career, it took as much as an hour before I felt the effects of my first drink.
That's interesting. I can't say I ever experienced it that way. I usually felt the effects within a couple minutes, but kept on drinking anyway.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The allergy is just an analogy here for the sake of highlighting that some people are more sensitive/vulnerable to getting addicted to alcohol and experiencing adverse effects due to it than others. And once we have developed the addiction, we will always need to keep an eye on being "primed" for it. Just like someone with a real allergy. I've heard of examples where someone had a true allergic (immune) response to alcohol, but these are extremely rare.

What does exist without doubt is individual vulnerability to developing addictions, and there is more and more evidence from science demonstrating the many different ways how this can work. Individual genetics, how we respond to environmental effects and experience, etc. It's far more complex and complicated than just a few enzymes. These are all intriguing studies and I obviously am very interested since it's part of my professional area, but all that research and knowledge never helped me quit my own alcohol abuse. I did such research for years and was very active reading everything I could, participating in the scientific community doing this work, but it did not save me personally. The knowledge only started to be helpful in my personal life once I stopped drinking for good and started working on my recovery.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yea people say the damndest things.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Allergic ?
When one has allergies they at many times will break out with a rash.
I must admit that when I drink I sometimes break out in handcuffs ?
A connection there I do see.
Mountainmanbob
Old 03-01-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Allergy may be useful as a metaphor, but it is not an allergy by any medical standard of meaning. In the medical sense, the body has a unique and harmful reaction that involves the release of histamine which causes runny nose, water eyes, constricted airways, swelling and itching, or even anaphylaxis. I didn't have any histamine issues with alcohol, and I doubt that alcoholics do either.

There are a very few who actually do have an allergic reaction to alcohol, requiring an epi pen, that sort of thing. They can't become alcoholics, obsessed with its consumption, drinking to blackout etc.
Actually a lot of people are allergic to beer and wine due to the hops and other stuff in beer and sulfites in wine. I certainly was, and it was my allergist who pointed it out to me. Of course I continued to drink anyway.. and suffer... now my allergies are much diminished since quitting 18 months ago.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
KAD

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
The allergy is just an analogy here for the sake of highlighting that some people are more sensitive/vulnerable to getting addicted to alcohol and experiencing adverse effects due to it than others.
That's kinda the way I took it, but depending upon who you ask, some people take it quite literally.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've learned in my experience as an alcoholic and drug addict as well as someone who works in the field of chemical dependency that there are many many many different theories and research studies that attempt to explain the biological, psychological, social, and spiritual "happenings" as a result of our use. My understandings of such have changed over time and I expect will continue to change. What does not change is my acceptance that I cannot put a drug/alcohol in to my body because bad things happen on a whole variety of levels
Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Broke out in hives once from some store brand gin. Ended up in the ER. Don't even like gin but it was there.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Alcohol is an addictive drug. Some people are predisposed to be addicted to it, others are not. But some people who are not predisposed drink enough to become addicted anyways. The allergy analogy is weak. People with true allergies have no desire to ingest the thing they are allergic to.