Notices

Addiction as an allergy

Old 03-02-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I used to try to figure stuff like that out. But after a while you see it doesn't matter ... I'm a garden variety drunk.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
skg

Craving

This may help...
Dr. Wiliam Silkworth's Opinion...
Old 03-02-2015, 12:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Rehab "counselors" are usually addicts themselves and are usually repeating something that was heard or said and a lot of it comes from a blue book that has some very old ideas in it. Few actually take the time to read published works by research Docs. Since the science is complicated and rather dull, many such metaphors exist and are meant to get our attention and sadly, appeal to the 5th grader in all of us. My own experience has value so I stick to it. Alcohol is not processed well by most of the world population (much like cellulose or "fiber" as it's marketed) but we still drink it anyway for the release. Nobody drinks for "bouquet" or "charred oak, yet nutty finish"--those are nice for the tatsebuds but not the buzz (they actually add to the hangover). Tis why most of us seriouser imbibers liked vodka neat (it takes you there) or with a splash of sweet carbonation (speeds uptake slightly). I'm not a rocket surgeon but I was anything but allergic--I drank for the release-until it quit giving me that.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

. Nobody drinks for "bouquet" or "charred oak, yet nutty finish"-
Actually quite a few people do. Some people enjoy the taste and will have a glass or half a glass like some people can have one chocolate and leave the box alone.
You also have the snobs who take that sip so they can show themselves to be accomplished oenologists.

They just are not alcoholics.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post

Some people enjoy the taste and will have a glass or half a glass like some people can have one chocolate and leave the box alone.
You have described my wife perfectly.
1/2 to 1 glass of wine on most days.
One chocolate after dinner.
I would like to eat the whole box.

Mountainman
Old 03-02-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Rehab "counselors" are usually addicts themselves and are usually repeating something that was heard or said and a lot of it comes from a blue book that has some very old ideas in it. Few actually take the time to read published works by research Docs. Since the science is complicated and rather dull, many such metaphors exist and are meant to get our attention and sadly, appeal to the 5th grader in all of us. My own experience has value so I stick to it.
Don't discard it because it's 'old ideas.' I studied countless research methodologies in the rooms of AA performed by real alcoholics, and I find their results more meaningful and applicable. Intellectualizing it didn't get me sober, taking actions and following what others had done before me (old ideas) did. My experience has value as well, so I stick with it: One is too many, a thousand not enough. I began my alcoholic behaviors long before 5th grade, too, so I find that very appealing as well, thank you.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:24 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes, Alcoholics do not process alcohol the same way Non-Alcoholics do.
They proved that eons ago!