Notices

Newbie here

Old 02-27-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
30yrdrunk

Drinky,

I never thought I could stop for good and I'm now working on 14.5 months. It hasn't been all peaches and cream but it has been well worth it.
I have a lifetime of shameless drinking stories. Drinking is no longer fun for me. I have said and done things so out of character from my true self while intoxicated and cost myself countless opportunities. Sound familiar?

You can stop. Make it the number one priority in your life. It needs to be. Here are a couple of thoughts, things I've learned and things I do to stay sober.

Rational recovery -
Drinking has re-wired my brain. My animal brain craves the buzz. It will try and tell me every lie imaginable to get what it wants. This impulse is not the real me. I learned to separate the animal brain from my rational thought.

My re-wired brain needs time to heal. As time goes by the cravings are less frequent. They are intense in the beginning by they do subside. Be vigilant they strike when least expected.

For most people drinking is no big deal. Most people don't care your not drinking. The ones who do have a problem of their own.

I read 'Quit the Drink Easily' by Jason Vale. Loved his common sense perspective on alcohol and the myths portrayed in society.

Indulge in other pleasures and reward myself. If I'm craving ice cream I get some. I get dessert.

Always make sure I have plenty of soft drinks available if I go to a party or I'm in social settings.

I told my loved ones and close friends I had quit and why. With all other I'm not as detailed but I let them know I don't drink. As an example. 'I used to drink a lot and decided I wasn't getting anything out of it. I stopped. Guess what? I don't miss it that much so I kept it up.

You will have fun again. As time goes on you will look forward to social occasions.

I circle back to SR and read a few minutes most days. You learn so much from others. Wonderful supportive people who have been through what you have and then some. Everyone once and a while I post and it feels good!

May peace be with you!

TC
Old 02-27-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Drinky!!
Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Drinky