Notices

Hope I'm not breaking any rules

Old 02-27-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope I'm not breaking any rules

As I pour through boards daily, I see a common denominator with many who struggle with alcohol. And that is either anxiety or depression. Isn't that something? Anxiety keeps people on the razors edge, and depression is a dull edge daily. I am on 10mg paxil daily, the reason is simple, it keeps me from going berserk on people. it does a wonderful job, and I wouldn't change it for anything. On the depression side, I do believe I experienced it back in 1996. I had basically run out of bullets (figuratively speaking) and was waiting to die. I was not addicted to anything, its just that I played out life's hand that was dealt to me. I slept 20 hrs a day, and thought nothing of it. Some guys came up from Chicago and tied me up and beat the hell out of me, and I thought that was it. I called 911 and then my parents, it took quite sometime to get over it, but i did, and never looked back.
My point in posting this is that I empathize with those who are dealing with depression or anxiety, and I wish you all the very best. It can be overcome in my humble opinion. It is a stage in your life, it doesn't have to define you.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your Paxil will be able to do its job now if you stay away from drinking. It can't work properly when you intake alcohol.

The thing is, alcohol causes and temporarily relieves anxiety and depression.

Temporarily relieves. Does not cure, and in the end causes way more brain dysfunction, and becomes progressively worse. I was pretty far gone at the end - and I didn't even realize it until I had several months of sobriety.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I had and still do have bad anxiety. I never felt that I was depressed. Even tho everyone else felt i was but bit there tongue and never said anything. I took a supplement hoping to help the anxiety and i felt better becuase it helped with the depression. I realize the 2 go very hand in hand.

its a catch 22 with drinking. you get anxiety an depression so you drink to help feel a little better tis works out ok after you drink say but over time alcohol is a depressent and the withdrawels cause anxiety. So the same conditions your trying to treat with booze the booze is also cuasing its like your chasing your tail. And the cycle begins and the alcohol has sunken its claws into you.

I find it interesting you mention paxil keeps you from going berserk maybe i need some? haha I never actualy flip out really but in some i'm an A-Bomb waiting to go off more often then I care to admit. One physician friend of mine actualy recomended i get on paxil but i refused. I struggle through without meds myself but sometimes I wonder if I should revisit my choice.

The other kicker with depression is you find yourself in this pit. picture a deep dark well there you are stuck in it maybe unaware your even in the damn well. No idea how you got there No idea how to get out of there. It feels hopeless even if you realize your there or not. I've fallen in that pit a few times in my life and each time its really caught me by surprise. I an say tho once you claw your way out of that pit life really gets better but sometimes you need someone to help rip you out of that pit. And sometimes we need to help others get out of that pit. Its very hard to get out of that pit alone by just our own power.