Notices

Did Naltrexone help you?

Old 02-25-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Did Naltrexone help you?

I'm a newby & tried searching forums in regards to naltrexone being prescribed to recovering alcoholics, but kept getting error msgs. So I apologize if my thread should be elsewhere or is a repetitive topic.
My history: I am a little over 4 months sober from major alcohol abuse & my Dr put me on naltrexone. She said studies have been done but they (whoever they are) have not really figured out the correlation between not having cravings to drink and the usage of naltrexone. Over the last 3 years I have a couple of short periods of sobriety only to be followed by longer periods of relapse. So when talking to my Dr she suggested it & I thought why not? I've been on a 50mg daily dose now almost 2 months. The first 2 days I took it in the morning & had some bad effects like drowsiness & a little vertigo. I decided to start taking it at 5pm after I'm off work & now I can't even tell I'm taking anything.
So with that said I was curious about your's or someone you know experience being on it? I just don't want to take another daily med if it's not necessary, but then there's apart of me that says I'm still sober & it may be working. I actually don't have cravings for alcohol, but in my past experiences being sober the cravings subsided early on (thank God). I'm just very curious about others experiences, good or bad, and any opinions on the matter.
As a side note, naltrexone is primarily prescribed to patients with a history of opiate dependence. Naltrexone pretty much blocks the "good feeling" of opiates-and that is a loose definition because there's much more to it
Any replies would be great, thanks for listening.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was prescribed it after my last in patient detox, but never filled the script. I don't have insurance and the price was too high, but I did some research on it and it seemed to help a lot of people with cravings.

Best of luck to you.