Notices

Feeling like a failure in sobriety

Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling like a failure in sobriety

I was really shaken up today at work. I'm in production and had a hi lo (forklift) accident today. The good news is no one is hurt. The bad news is I look and feel really incompetent.

To make a long story short, I took the forklift and loaded a pick up truck with some boxes. I do this all the time. I'm very careful when I drive the forklift, making sure I look around for people in the way and not crashing into things.

After I loaded the truck I shut the garage door (shipping receiving door). When I got on the forklift I realized the forks were in the path of the door as it was coming down and I had to get out of the way in a hurry.

So naturally I put it in reverse while there was time and for some reason the forklift didn't back up! So while there was time to prevent the door from sliding down onto the forks, I jumped off the forklift to push the stop button for the garage door.

This would've stopped the door from hitting the forks. But as I jumped off the forklift, I accidentally hit the shift into forward! The forklift went crashing into the door. The door was severely dented on the bottom three panels and wasn't able to shut.

I was in a warehouse by myself when this happened so no one saw this. I called the plant manager and he called the door repair company to fix it. Luckily for me these guys were really good and were able to repair the door and it now shuts and opens.

This happened at the end of the day. I was tired, worked very hard all day and was in and out in extreme cold temperatures (20 below Fahrenheit wind chill temp).

By the end of the day most people heard about my forklift accident. I feel like such an idiot and so incompetent right now. I'm thinking about calling in sick tomorrow. I'm so embarrassed to go to work tomorrow.

What should I do? Has anyone ever made a big mistake at work, felt incompetent, and don't know how to handle this in sobriety? Please feel free to comment.
Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone makes mistakes UncleHolmes. You did everything you could to rectify the situation.

The only thing I'd suggest is go easy on yourself, man - no ones perfect
Old 02-19-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ripped a 1 foot hole in the passenger side door on my work truck on Sunday, hit a mirror on another truck Tuesday, then this morning back into a bollard breaking the tail light. I just glad I got my 'happens in threes' out of the way without hurting anyone.

Accidents happen to everyone, that's why there is a huge insurance industry. As for my feelings. Hey, I effed up. thats lifeSome days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.
Tomorrow's another day.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes of course. These things happen, but we alcoholics tend to catastrophize everything.

When I was younger, I once spent two days microfilming cable records for the phone company in a remote location, only to find out I'd blurred the images due to a mistake on my part. My boss was so cool about it. They sent me back in a week later to 're-do the job, so even the client knew, but they were cool too! I was shocked, thinking I would be fired or something.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't sweat it, things like this happen to all of us. Go in head held high, you made a mistake so what? You'll make it look worse if you call out now.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
zjw

job i have now it was like int he first couple months i worked there i messed some stuff up and cost the company over 100k. for some odd reason they kept me and yeah everyone seemed to hear about it.

i've made up for it and then some but I'm amazed i didnt get tossed for that one.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You made a mistake, you reported it and the damage was fixed. Learn from it and move on. Every person you work with has made mistakes too, nothing to be ashamed of at all.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am pretty careful and methodical, and that could have happened to me. Take it easy on yourself.

Of course your group will make fun of you. That will be the highlight of the day! Just roll with it and enjoy the fame!

Working through frustration sober builds emotional muscles. Go for it.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It really is ok . You were sober and you made a mistake, as long as you're honest about it it's fine. I have employees and we all screw up sometimes. As long as my people tell me the truth about what happened, I've always been understanding of screw ups. Don't be embarrassed and absolutely do not call in sick! And don't over apologize and talk about it! Stuff happens
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 02-19-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with others.....you made a mistake and tried your best to prevent it. Go to work tomorrow. If you don't you will have even more cruddy thinking going on in your head over the weekend. Good luck and I think you will find it will be a better day than you imagined. =)
Old 02-19-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
I was really shaken up today at work. I'm in production and had a hi lo (forklift) accident today. The good news is no one is hurt. The bad news is I look and feel really incompetent.

To make a long story short, I took the forklift and loaded a pick up truck with some boxes. I do this all the time. I'm very careful when I drive the forklift, making sure I look around for people in the way and not crashing into things.

After I loaded the truck I shut the garage door (shipping receiving door). When I got on the forklift I realized the forks were in the path of the door as it was coming down and I had to get out of the way in a hurry.

So naturally I put it in reverse while there was time and for some reason the forklift didn't back up! So while there was time to prevent the door from sliding down onto the forks, I jumped off the forklift to push the stop button for the garage door.

This would've stopped the door from hitting the forks. But as I jumped off the forklift, I accidentally hit the shift into forward! The forklift went crashing into the door. The door was severely dented on the bottom three panels and wasn't able to shut.

I was in a warehouse by myself when this happened so no one saw this. I called the plant manager and he called the door repair company to fix it. Luckily for me these guys were really good and were able to repair the door and it now shuts and opens.

This happened at the end of the day. I was tired, worked very hard all day and was in and out in extreme cold temperatures (20 below Fahrenheit wind chill temp).

By the end of the day most people heard about my forklift accident. I feel like such an idiot and so incompetent right now. I'm thinking about calling in sick tomorrow. I'm so embarrassed to go to work tomorrow.

What should I do? Has anyone ever made a big mistake at work, felt incompetent, and don't know how to handle this in sobriety? Please feel free to comment.
I work at a semiconductor fab and encounter GIANT forklifts all the time.

You are lucky to be alive! Those things are dangerous!

Chalk it up to a "Doh!" moment. You were sober. It happens.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Would have been way worse if you were drunk
Old 02-19-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

$#!t happens! I spent more years than not of my life in that type of environment. Dropped a few things off forklifts, wired equipment wrong causing it to burn up, made a 100,000 dollar mistake in the inventory system once and still advanced to the production manager position. Guess over the years the good things outweighed stupid mistakes.

Will people give you crap? Probably. Do you have to drink over it? No. Just stay calm, take your lumps and learn from it. Part of life. Just cause the drinking ends life doesn't.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Uncle Holmes...I'm so sorry about your accident but I'm glad you weren't hurt!

And I'm the queen of accidents! Luckily, I'm able to laugh at myself! When you can do that, it sets the tone and other people laugh along with you and it blows over! Yeah...there will always be a few smartasses, but don't act like it bothers you and they'll leave it alone pretty quickly. I promise you that everyone makes mistakes and if you can find the humor in it you'll be fine.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MsJax View Post
It really is ok And don't over apologize and talk about it! Stuff happens
Honest mistake. I wanted to second this part. Apologize once then hold your head high and don't bring it up when you don't have to.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh my gosh Uncle Holmes, let me tell you!

We could share some laughs over this past year of mine with a new job. It is a 'sink or swim' type position where I ideally need to be thoughtful and intelligent while interacting with others.

For 3 weeks I was wondering what the heck was wrong with me. I felt dumb as a box of rocks...a hula dancer on the dashboard nodding yes and smiling.

During an appt. with my Doc I told her that I felt dumb as a box of rocks and sounded totally incompetent while working. The horror!! It turns out that a med I was taking temporarily was causing this unexpected 'brain vacation'.

When I was thinking about what to do...I figured there were a million explanations that could be offered to others. But would it matter? Not at all. You sound like someone who cares and is thoughtful and forgiving of other people. Time to do the same for yourself. Remember that you can do everything right and sh&* still happens. Just echoing the previous advice.

Chin up. Congratulations. You are human!

Old 02-20-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was really close to not going into work today. During my sleep last night, I screamed in a very loud grunt that was a mixture of anger, stress, frustration, fear.....It woke both my wife and I up. After waking myself up from hearing my grunt, I couldn't believe I did that. That's how much stress I was under.

I went back to bed, got up later for work, and drove there while thinking of yesterday's incident. On top of feeling incompetent from the forklift accident is social anxiety that I also have.

As I walked into the work place to clock in, I kept on projecting that everyone I was seeing was thinking about my forklift accident. A few people asked about it, but other than that no one said anything.

I ended up feeling glad that I came into work because I not only need this job, but they really relied on me to do a lot of stuff.

I want to thank everyone for their posts and overall support to put it behind me and to go back to work the next day. The support from this forum really can make a difference in a person's life. Feel free to leave anymore comments.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good for you for going!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm glad you went back into work, even though it was one of the hardest things you've ever done. In the end, nobody dwelled on it or made you feel bad.