Notices

A Phase or The Beginning of the End?

Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Phase or The Beginning of the End?

Hi,

I wanted to know what you guys thought about my situation.
I'm 22 and never drank heavily or alone until last year. From the very start I drank almost every night (excluding some weekends or about 4-7 days) to ease loneliness/deprsession/anxiety. This lasted for about 7-9 months until I was sober for about a month and a half. After the break I didin't drink as frequently, but sometimes binged for a couple of days. I noticed it did feel like a compulsion from the start to drink every night even though I didin't even feel like having a drink (I've got OCD and am veeery neurotic).

I went to see a doctor who specialized in patients with substance abuse and he signed me to a program to stay sober for 6 months. I Guess I got scared because of the constant phone calls from my family to check if I was sober and relapsed. The same thing happened again after 14 days after a talk with my family and increased control on their part. My family wants me to quit entirely.

I should note that I always have certain things in which my thoughts are obsessivly focused on, a clearly different mindset that shifts from time to time (formerly schoolwork, excercise, diet). Now it seems it's alcohol's turn. Yesterday I started to read a book about fitness and I noticed myself drifting off to the same mindset I have when I'm focused on my workouts.
I Guess I'm trying to convince myself that if I follow through the 6 month plan I will get a different mindset and everything will be back to normal (not binge drinking everynight obviously).

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.

I don’t want to rain on your parade but if your addicted to alcohol or consider yourself an alcoholic there is no way to return to being a “normal” drinker in 6 months or 6+ years.

A expression in AA is we cannot turn a pickle back into a cucumber.

We need much self work and change to become a comfortable sober person mentally and emotionally. I think 6 months is an introduction period. I speak from observation experience of many years sober.

BE WELL
Old 02-18-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

If your thinking about drinking while trying to remain sober that should tell you everything you need to know

What your describing is called the AV the lil voice that talks and thinks about drinking

Crush the AV with sober positivity you can do this bud
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Megadebth.

I think it is a gift to realize at 22 that you have a problem with alcohol and try to do something about it before it progresses further. Many of us with substance abuse issues have general obsessive tendencies -- I certainly do. Like you, I can get "hooked" on virtually anything that interests me, even theories and concepts. Drinking made this much worse for me, and now that I've been sober for a while, I find that my obsessiveness about other things have also decreased significantly. We can change our way of thinking and reacting to things, but it takes work and involves action not only thought. Quitting drinking is an excellent first step and I certainly encourage you to follow through with the 6 months plan at least.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Hi Megadebth.

I think it is a gift to realize at 22 that you have a problem with alcohol and try to do something about it before it progresses further. Many of us with substance abuse issues have general obsessive tendencies -- I certainly do. Like you, I can get "hooked" on virtually anything that interests me, even theories and concepts. Drinking made this much worse for me, and now that I've been sober for a while, I find that my obsessiveness about other things have also decreased significantly. We can change our way of thinking and reacting to things, but it takes work and involves action not only thought. Quitting drinking is an excellent first step and I certainly encourage you to follow through with the 6 months plan at least.
It's pretty fascinating seeing how the ability to get easily addicted to something can be so destructive in this case and lead to great success in an other (for me being in great shape and excelling in schoolwork). The thing that can lead me to greatness is the same one that has the ability to destroy me.....

I have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow morning and we'll discuss the events that have happened since my last check-up and I'll se what he has to say.
Regardless of that, I have no other choice but to stay sober for now. If not for me then for my brother, because this madness is driving him away and he's my best friend. Can't stand to the thought of losing him.

Taking it one day at a time! Thank you and good luck on your sobriety! =)
Old 02-18-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe a large percentage of the population has obsessive behavior to varying degrees. I will say this, if you believe its "alcohol's turn"...do yourself a big favor and skip to the next one.

I read on this site something that really hit home. A poster said "best of luck on saving your own ass". I thought about that and it really hit home.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I believe a large percentage of the population has obsessive behavior to varying degrees. I will say this, if you believe its "alcohol's turn"...do yourself a big favor and skip to the next one.

Oh, man, ain't that the truth?

I've tried to fix myself with all manner of addictions and it never ends well.

How about exercise or fixing super nutritious meals as a replacement? Kayaking? Paddle board? Bicycling? Running? Weight lifting?
Old 02-19-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi biminiblue,
thanks for the post.

I actually still workout normally (3-5 times a week) and always go all out. I also keep my diet in check (I eat based on my workouts and know what my body needs to recover). I'm actually pretty muscular and quite strong. Something you'd probably not expect from someone with a drinking problem. I definitely need to keep myself busy during the evenings so I won't start to obsess about drinking and fall back on old habits.

I went to see the doctor today. He told me to stick with the 6 month plan for now, and didin't think total abstinence till the end of time was an option for the time being. He also prescribed me anti-depressants to help me cope with my anxiety/depression/obsessive thoughts/insomnia. I have no idea what the future holds, alcohol wise, but definitely gonna stick with the plan.

It's my 10th day without alcohol now, still gonna take it one day at a time!