Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by alaina742 View Post
God apparently helped everyone else!
Not always. Sometimes it was;

Group Of Drunks
Gift Of Desperation
Good Orderly Direction
Guider Of Decisions

All you need to know about step 2 initially can be found in the first sentence of How It Works;

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path".
Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by Kate15 View Post
that brought a smile to my face, a chuckle to my heart, and a tear to my eye all at once as I heard myself in that sentence.

So true it sucks to read it, but also good to know I am some kind of normal :-)
I always say its a good thing back in my drinking days I did not leave a revolver on my night table as when the alarm went off each morning rather then hitting the snooze button i more then likly would have just grabbed the revolver and pulled the trigger instead.

I'm so glad those days are gone.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Maybe I do have a chance?
Of course you have a chance Alaina. Don't give up on yourself.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I guess I'm willing to believe if God has helped everyone else, maybe He will help me?
That was how step two came to me. While I had no feeling for God at that stage, I was willing to believe that it was at least possible that the same power that helped the other members might work for me too.

It was like choosing the method of recovery, having admitted the problem in step one. If I did not believe and was unwilling even to believe that it might be possible, then a spiritual program is not going to work for me.

This is what the Book says about taking step 2. " We found that as soon as we were able to lay aside prejudice and express even a willingness to believe in a Power greater than ourselves, we commenced to get results, even though it was impossible for any of us to fully define or comprehend that Power, which is God.

Much to our relief, we discovered we did not need to consider another's conception of God. Our own conception, however inadequate, was sufficient to make the approach and to effect a contact with Him. As soon as we admitted the possible existence of a Creative Intelligence, a Spirit of the Universe underlying the totality of things, we began to be possessed of a new sense of power and direction, provided we took other simple steps.

We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. "Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?" As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built."

The bolds are mine.

It would appear that, according to the Big Book, you have taken step two.
Well done. We are now at step three.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

So I know there's a forum for this but I like it here

It keeps coming up everywhere I go! And not just because it's February. Even in non Step meetings. I think there's some kind of message in it for me? Maybe the reason I can't stay stopped is because I don't believe God will restore me to sanity? No problems here with the insanity part. I AM INSANE RIGHT NOW.
Well if you only really knew what "insane" really means.
What is normal is all the crazy stuff that happens after we put alcohol into our system, that is not insane, that is normal. Insanity is believing a lie. Believing you do not have a problem, when looking at the clear facts of the matter shows precisely that you do have a problem. This is what insane people do, they believe in made up information. We lie to ourselves time and time again. Its actually quite a simple step, nothing is required in terms of action, its just a conclusion in your own mind, an information step. It comes down to - ARE YOU WILLING TO BELIEVE IN SOMETHING OR ANYTHING OTHER THEN YOURSELF - If you say yes, onto step 3.

Now, please tell us what step one is?
If it is an obsession that overides all ideas to the contrary.
If an obsession is just a thought. Its in our minds.
If step one is an allergic reaction to booze in the form of a phenomenon of craving that gets stronger over each additional drink, compelling you to drink more and more.
So on so forth, much more information on step one. 43 pages on step one alone.
If that is step one, and not a written life history of a drunk-a-log, then you got it right.

Step one is the only step you need to get 110% correct. If all that information is news to you, time to go read over step one in the big book with a recovered alcoholic who has finished all 12 steps in order as its layed out in our basic textbook called Alcoholics Anonymous.

As for step 3, again exteremly very simple. Should not take more then a day at most. All 3 steps can be done well within half a week, and rightfully should be done as this is a fatal disease, like cancer, but is not a socially accepted disease. People think its a matter of will power. Try taking Exlax and willing yourself to hold it in for a day. Will never happen!
Old 02-20-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I know a hundred thousand times over that I'm powerless over my addiction. I know that "one" has never been, and will never be a thing for me. And my life is completely unmanageable ATM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think I've just been so beaten down by life that I don't think I am worth anything, worth saving. Not doing well at my job doesn't help- I feel like a real piece of crap most days. I'm so amazed that I got this second job- I honestly did not expect anyone to hire me due to my record. It feels like the beginning of positive things. Maybe I do have a chance?
I was reading through replies in another thread a bit ago and came across a reply ya made, one I thought was awesome and think it fits for you,too:

God saved you for a reason!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

step 2 became real for me after step 7