Notices

Adjusting to Sober Life

Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adjusting to Sober Life

I'm about to hit 6 months sober. My sobriety brought me so many amazing things, a dream job, great relationship with my family, health etc. I have everything I always wanted. Yet, I feel weird, anxious, stressed, and not as stoked as I should be.

I'm trying to understand why. Is it because I've been going through so many changes lately? Can anyone relate?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone feels weird anxious and stressed sometimes trikuza, alcoholics or not.

Getting sober didn't actually help change that very much for me - but it gave me a clearer perception on the areas of my life that needed work.

Do you think change has left you a little unsteady?

D
Old 02-16-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's great having a clearer perception of things. I think my lifestyle is just so different than it was that I feel like i'm living someone else's life. I feel uncomfortable in my own skin at times, even though i'm so appreciative of what I have now.

I've been taking in so many new experiences with staying sober, meetings, etc that I definitely do feel unsteady.

I think the memory of my struggles and who I was in the past bothers me. I also worry about losing what I have now.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Congratulations Tri. I'm sure most of us find facing life sober can be confronting at times because our coping mechanisms have had to change.

It's sometimes useful to take a moment to really work out why we're feeling anxious at that point in time. You can often trace it back to a stray thought, and once you've done that the anxiety lessens.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At 18 months, I also feel sometimes like I'm living in an alternative reality. In that time, I made many changes - rented my house, moved overseas, have a new relationship, etc. Sometimes if I start thinking about things too much it can be overwhelming. That's probably the reason it's recommended that we don't make big changes in the first year.. It has helped to just take things a day at a time.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Can TOTALLY relate, and it's TOTALLY normal! You're doing great!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies, guys. What helps me is that even though I feel overwhelmed at times with all the changes, I know i'm doing what I SHOULD be doing.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
It's great having a clearer perception of things. I think my lifestyle is just so different than it was that I feel like i'm living someone else's life. I feel uncomfortable in my own skin at times, even though i'm so appreciative of what I have now.

I've been taking in so many new experiences with staying sober, meetings, etc that I definitely do feel unsteady.

I think the memory of my struggles and who I was in the past bothers me. I also worry about losing what I have now.
all totally normal. I went through the same thing and at 3+ years sober i still worry what if i slip up? what if i drink? what if i ruin this? who is this person I've become? is this ok? am I doing this right? I am making the right choices right?

ITs been tough too in my case when i make a mistake i can feel really terrible I think gee i'm working so hard OMG how could i do this or that. I had to realize life is not perfect.

Its ok to be bored and not have much excitement enjoy the peace that comes with that.

There was a guy at a part sitting alone with no one to talk too. the host came over and asked are you enjoying yourself? He said yes thats the only thing i'm enjoying at this party.

So its ok to be bored and just enjoy yourself.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

what are you doing other than not drinking?