Notices

back again

Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

back again

I need to stop drinking. i havent been on this site for several years.I was glad i remembered my sign in information.
i am definately an alcoholic. I dont have to drink all the time but when i do i drink everything! i am so sick and tired of the way I drink and yet I go back to it for the feeling that everything is good. Then it just gets worse.
My husband says he wants a divorce because of it and my daughter is beginning to notice it.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad that you're back to seek help. You know you will get plenty of support here, and I truly hope that you can turn it around for yourself and your family.

1 day at a time!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Robin. Alcohol can take it all away ( family, jobs, homes, etc ) if we let it. Perhaps you could consider joining one of the daily/monthly threads over in the newcomers or daily threads sections? You may want to consider local support too like meetings or therapy/counseling. Bottom line, if you want to get sober you absolutely can - anyone can if they really have the desire.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back Robinz nice to meet you
Old 02-11-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Robinz; we are here for you 24/7/365.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome back Robinz.

My pattern was like yours. A bender followed by a dry spell. Usually the dry spell started with "I'm never doing that again type thoughts" and it ended with " I'll just have a couple, all I want to do is have a good time." Despite all the evidence I always ended up thinking (if I thought at all) that booze and good times go together. Talk about delusional thinking. I didn't like life much when I wasn't drinking. I found it difficult to fit in and relate to people, I was hopeless at relationships.

The problem was how to get around that thinking. It was obviously false to anyone else but I was so screwed up I couldn't differentiate the true from the false. While each dry spell started with the best of intentions, it always ended with the flimsiest of excuses, or often drinking with no thought at all.

Having tried everything else I could think of to avoid it, and failing, I finally went to AA and really tried. I met some friendly folks who knew the way out, and I followed their suggestions. My life changed, and the drinking stopped almost as a side effect of the AA way of life. I haven't needed to drink since.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Mike
That did sound like me.
My ex husband AND my sister who lives locally go to AA.
I can hardly go with my ex and my sister DRIVES me to drink but my sis has been sober 7 years and my ex 1000 days so i guess it must really work. I teach young children and would be so upset if word got around to staff, parents, kids etc..
It scares me. But I guess I will have to grow up and fight this thing.
I appreciate your Story.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back. We are all here for you. If we can do it so can you. On SR you are never alone. That keeps me going.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Robinz

If you want to go to AA and you have the opportunity to go, don't let fear hold you back

D
Old 02-11-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Alcohol is not your friend robinz..it wants to rob you of everything. .your life included. Don't give it that chance. Were glad you're here!
Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Robinz View Post
Thanks Mike
That did sound like me.
I can hardly go with my ex and my sister DRIVES me to drink but my sis has been sober 7 years and my ex 1000 days so i guess it must really work. I teach young children and would be so upset if word got around to staff, parents, kids etc..
It scares me. But I guess I will have to grow up and fight this thing.
I appreciate your Story.
Hey Robinz,
They say it is a family disease. It was in my case. Both my mother and sister are afflicted. My sister has been hospitalised once or twice and wants nothing to do with AA. My mother did some AA and went to the two best rehabs around at the time, at about the time I got sober. As I got better she got worse and now also will not go to AA. The pair of them have just got sicker and sicker and there is nothing I can do about it.

Conversely, I can think of A few families where many if not all of their members have found their way to AA and recovered. Brothers and sisters, parents, and exes, one of my exes has been sober many years. We all get on fine and it seems to be a joyous thing when several members of the same family get well. Old feuds and dramas are quickly forgotten as we each discover what this new life is about. The wonderful thing about the AA way of life is the way the steps help heal past hurts and often bring about a restoration of trust between people.
As Dee suggests, there is nothing to be afraid of. Everything will be ok.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back Robinz!!
Old 02-12-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Robinz View Post
Thanks Mike
That did sound like me.
I'm glad ya made it back. Couple things:
Your sister drives to to drink? Yo sure of that? Did she ever force a drink down your throat?

Word getting out( which I highly doubt would happen) that your doing something to help is a bad thing? As opposed to word getting out that ya have a serious drinking problem and not doing anything about it being a good thing?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi tomsteve,
my sister has manic depression she is like a rollercoaster of emotions and I get caught up in her nightmare when I try to help. We are close in age and grew up together. She affects my mood and mental state. I actually never drank because of her I dont think but she depresses me with her unstable ways. My profession, I am an educator and have been able to keep my problem to myself for almost 20 years. i am not sure if you realize the pettiness of people in a staff room or at parent groups. I would be destroyed. It would be unbearable for me. So, yes i have issues about that. Thanks for the questions.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many teachers in groups like AA SMART and Lifering Robinz - surely they face the same things you fear?

D