Notices

Day 5 ups and downs.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 ups and downs.

Evening all, this is coming to the end of my fifth day sober!

A bit of a long post, but I promise it's relevant... I went to a brilliant lunchtime meeting today, and tonight I went to my amazingly supportive boyfriend's house where unfortunately I rarely have signal. He shares with his friends who are a married couple. They're lovely, and they know I don't drink, that I relapsed and now know about me going to AA. Now.. for their wedding they bought a lot of spirits, and these full bottles are sitting on the living room dresser, even though no one drinks them.

I'd had a lovely evening watching a film and cuddling with my boyfriend in his room, I'd even got changed and ready for bed. I didn't want a drink at all. I wasn't feeling tempted. But suddenly I had this thought: 'Sarah, you're in a house full of easily accessible alcohol and no way to ring your AA contacts. Bad idea.' I wasn't worried about that particular moment, but what if I woke up in the middle of the night? What if I were tempted then?

So, I decided to come home. My boyfriend plans to ask his friends to put their alcohol out of sight, as it's a shared flat and not fair on him if he can't bring his girlfriend around because there is booze on display.

I feel awful...
Old 02-10-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dont feel awful be grateful your bf Mr sarah is a good man

i have no alcohol in my home & il never allow it in my home do not feel bad

Feel awesome sarah your 5 days your doing really exellent
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job on 5 days again Sarah. In early sobriety it's very important to keep away from temptation, so you did the right thing. Your bf is a good man to discuss it with them, hopefully they will understand. Dont worry about imposing on them. I also don't keep alcohol in my home but have had to deal with it in other's homes, or in hotel mini bars. I can handle it now but had many relapses in earlier days from situations where it was in front of me. Do WHATEVER you need to do to remain sober!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I often think the best way to think of your new recovery is like a precious baby. It needs love, nurturing, and above all protection.

It's great you're respecting it so much.

Later on you'll find you can be anywhere with anyone and not be afraid of relapse but for now you're doing great Sarah

D
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

5 days is brilliant, Sarah.
It's really important to mind yourself at this stage so don't feel bad about putting your sobriety first.