Notices

Late night thoughts..

Old 02-09-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Late night thoughts..

I went to sleep and woke up 2 hours later. Now I'm lying awake, my head whirring around, and thought I'd write my thoughts aloud.

I'm seeing myself for the first time, by hearing other people share. I am a perfectionist who wants to do everything all at once. I am people pleaser, terrified of failure, who has low self-esteem but a big ego. I can be extremely self-centred, worried about what other people think when really.. I'm not the centre of the universe. lol. And I can't change how people feel or act... but I always try, to make me feel better, to bring them around to my way of thinking. Me me me. Hearing shares is like looking in a mirror.

I've always felt like the outsider, the 'loser', uncomfortable with who I am and doing anything to change how I feel.. I drank, I starved, I cut, I binged, I shopped...

But I know AA can not just stop me drinking, it can change my whole life.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do You Believe

Hi Sarah,

I could have written that about myself...verbatim.

Thank you for sharing this.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of late nights here, reading, posting, unable to sleep.

You're doing great
Old 02-09-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Sarahlou,

I've been reading your posts for quite a few days now (unfortunately while being drunk all the time) and can relate very much to a lot of what you've written.

After a recent event which should be considered a new low point, I am sober now and just discovered this thread.

What you've described in your opening post does hit home so hard, it almost makes me cry (I'm emotionally not in the best of places right now). I have very low self-esteem, more a feeling of self-hatred, yet I seem to have some massive ego and think about me, me, me all the time and not really caring about others. At the same time I've always felt like a loser or victim and have blamed it all on other people for not being able to understand or care. Insane, and I think it was all made much worse by my continuous ride into self-destruction and alcohol abuse. I'm nearly 24 by the way. Can't recall your exact age but from what I think to remember from one of your other threads, you are still under 30 (excuse me if I'm messing this up).
Old 02-09-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You do some good thinking in the middle of the night, sarahlou. Seems worth waking up for.

Sobriety has changed my life in some majorly great ways.

You are doing very well!!!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am the same Sarahlou. Being a guy, I overcompensate in different ways than you I'm sure, but I have the same underlying issues of being people pleaser/self worth.

My therapist gave me a great book to read written by a Phd author who suffers from the same type of things. It's called "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown. It's more geared toward women but it has helped me quite a bit.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Sarahlou - I resemble that remark funny how much we all have in common and yet can feel so alone. Thank goodness for the digital age and SR.!
Old 02-10-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think quite a few of us share some or most of your traits, and the pressure we feel when trying to please others leads us to do things like drink or smoke...

All the best in your recovery. I too had trouble sleeping last night, but it was the first time in a long time where I suddenly didnt feel any anxiety or have negative thoughts. It was a nice calm feeling, and I hope we both get to feel more calmness and confidence soon.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your post could have been written by me. We never know when we get these moments of clarity.

Today, I am grateful I get them, even if I have to lose some sleep over it.

AA is one alcoholic sharing with another. I see myself in just about everyone in the room and even when I don't, I am grateful we are both there.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You can change how other people think or act.

Don't buy into that "I'm powerless over people, places and things" nonsense that is sometimes bandied about in AA.

The power you have to change what people think of you and how they react to you, is very simple.

Be a better person.

If you are late for work and hungover at work, that doesn't go unnoticed.

But when you turn up early and do a decent days work, people will begin to notice and they will think better of you and react differently.

As you change for the better, so will they.

Kinda like the old saying, you get out what you put in.

Just remember, chapters in the book are titled things like, "there is a solution "
"How it works "
And
"into action "

Get into the book and the steps
Old 02-10-2015, 01:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you have found AA helpful. Best of luck to you!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go Sarah