Notices

Question about a stupid choice (relapse)

Old 02-08-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about a stupid choice (relapse)

I made a stupid decision and, drank the other day. It was only one day but, I was pretty much blacked out when I was stopped. I had pretty much stopped working my plan prior to the day in question and, then got some expected bad news. I admit it was a stupid excuse to drink. Im back to working my program again and, doing pretty good on day five.

My question is this: how far backwards did I go when it comes to the physical healing of my body. More specifically do I start PAWS all over from the beginning and, did the drinking negate any healing that happened in my brain and nervous system or, is there just no way to tell.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi JSM -- I don't think your body loses all that it's healed. It probably depends on how long you were out and what you did.

I had a 3 week relapse. During it I had one binge that physically wrecked me -- lower intake probably than when I was drinking daily, but sick for 3 days after. Then I went back to a couple of weeks of almost daily drinking. When I quit the last time, I didn't have the shakes or anything like the withdrawal I'd had after years of heavy daily drinking. I don't think I've had PAWS symptoms this time around, but I also got on an antidepressant, so that might have helped with PAWS.

How are you feeling?
Old 02-08-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm doing better courage. I was living in the past and to far in the future. If that makes sense. Bitterness took over. I started living pretty much the polar opposite of the serenity prayer. Learned my lesson, hopefully. One things for sure, moderation ain't gonna work with me.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everybody (and every body) is different so I'm not sure anyone can answer your specific question.

I would suggest that you acknowledge you had a slip but don't beat yourself too much about it.... then get back on track.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hard to say, everyone is different!!

The important thing is to keep moving forward, figure out the reason for drinking and tweak your plan accordingly, go at things again!!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome job on day 5 JSM
Old 02-08-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can't give you an answer either jsm.
Just be glad it was one day and not longer

D
Old 02-08-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jsm273 View Post
I made a stupid decision and, drank the other day. It was only one day but, I was pretty much blacked out when I was stopped. I had pretty much stopped working my plan prior to the day in question and, then got some expected bad news. I admit it was a stupid excuse to drink. Im back to working my program again and, doing pretty good on day five.

My question is this: how far backwards did I go when it comes to the physical healing of my body. More specifically do I start PAWS all over from the beginning and, did the drinking negate any healing that happened in my brain and nervous system or, is there just no way to tell.
I got no idea about paws, but whatever sobriety you had before and whatever you learned before your relapse did not just get up and walk out on you. You did not lose it. You just slipped "On purpose I might add", and its time to get back up. Slipped sounds so much like an accident. Like well I was standing over there, and this bottle just came flying from across the room and landed in my mouth. On purpose!