Notices

Triggerless Drunk

Old 02-07-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Cool

Back in the day, we never had triggers; except for Roy Rogers' horse. Some folks called them 'reasons' but even that was cow puckey; they're not triggers; they're not reasons; they're excuses.

I may not agree with the whole of AA's Big Book, but in this instance, I wholeheartedly agree...........................:

"...Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol..."

Although I might have had some excuses for my drinking, I didn't have any triggers, and neither did any of my recovered friends. So, there you go, Belgian; no need for triggers; no need to avoid...........anything.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 02-08-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Belgian View Post
I do a lot of reading here on SR and also on various places on the net. I realize how horrible this is about to make me sound but to be completely honest, I seem to gain a little strength and fortitude when I read about those who have it worse than me. For example, I ALMOST destroyed my marriage... and for whatever reason when I read about those who didn't stop until everything was lost.... it helps my resolve. Maybe I view those stories as cautionary tales.
Me, too, and I also felt bad about it at times. But it's not a bad or useless thing in early sobriety. It's called negative reinforcement, and the fact it works for you is an indication that some of your healthy brain mechanisms are intact and can work to your advantage. I've used a very large dose of negative reinforcement in my early sobriety, and I still do, because it works for me.