Notices

What does an 'open by request' meeting mean?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does an 'open by request' meeting mean?

I want to take someone to a meeting tonight, and on the leaflet it says 'Open by Request'. Who do I need to contact to request it?
Old 02-06-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

I don't know what that means, but the open meetings are for anyone to attend, closed are for people who identify with being an alcoholic.

call your local intergroup and ask them if they know, otherwise, just show up and listen
Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

You don't need to contact anyone SarahLou. You are an alcoholic so you can walk in to any AA meetings open or closed.
If you were let's say a non alcoholic therapist or minister who wants to know a bit more so you can help others, then you would have to contact the group and let them know you would like to attend.
Being an alcoholic, just go in.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe that refers to "Open" vs "Closed" meetings. It sounds like that meeting is normally closed, which means that it is for alcoholics only. Open meetings are for people who are interested in learning more about AA or the disease. It sounds like it is fine for you to bring a friend along, but prior to the meeting, you should approach the chairperson and introduce yourselves and ask if that meeting can be open so you both may attend.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Open by request means phoning the number in your where to find & asking if its ok

But you can go to a mtn & explain before the mtn that you have brought a friend for support AA is fine & understands this

I done it myself Sarah in the beggining itl be ok
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA member

No what an Open by Request meeting means here in the UK,is that prior to the meeting starting,the chairperson will ask the meeting attendees if anyone objects to holding an Open Meeting.Providing nobody does it will be fine.

I have only known it happen once that anyone has objected,but if they do the meeting becomes a closed one and the non-alcoholic would need to leave.