Notices

Recommendations for diet and vitamins?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Recommendations for diet and vitamins?

Hey fellow recovery members!

I apologize if this is the wrong section and if so please point this in the right one.

I was on here a bit a while back and then slipped into the same old routine (you all know how that goes unfortunately) but I've had a realization...I need to commit 100 percent including changing my lifestyle or this will not work. At almost 28 I don't think my body has much more in me to keep up the self destruction before I run into serious issues. My digestive system has been an absolute wreck the past few months along with my face looking like a blotchy red sunburn that never goes away, so here's where I need you!

I'm looking for recommendations of supplements I should start taking as well as dietary changes that will help me heal and keep me wanting to get healthier. I know we are what we eat, so that explains why I always feel like crap! What has helped you all personally food and vitamin wise with healing from years of damage? Also, what scientific insight have you all come across detailing a regimen for food/supplements? I also know this stuff isn't cheap and money isn't an issue right now, health is first, so if you have specific brands you swear by lend me your knowledge! Much thanks, much love
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
zjw

my 2 cents from what I've read us alcoholics end up rather malnourished from all the years of nonsense. Unhealthy eating sure but booze also depletes us of many important nutrients. It takes copious amts of good stuff for probably 6 months to a year to help turn the tide for our bodys with what we have done.

I powerhoused varous supplements and vitamins but also good diet is key. I'd say eat your fruits and veggies and eat lots of them and enjoy them how they are in there natural state.

There is a book out there called the vitamin cure for alcoholism I found that very helpful in my research.

I eat a vegan diet that is low fat etc.. But I know many folks have a lot of luck eating a Paleo kinda diet as well. I think ultimately you want to be sure to eat real whole foods. stay away from junk and processed stuff etc.. eat food as it is etc..
Old 02-05-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd recommend seeing a doctor first if your GI issues are that bad,and they could also do a test to make sure that you aren't deficient in a particular area.

A balanced diet of healthy food, rest and plenty of water can really do a lot. I wouldn't suggest any supplements of any kind unless specifically prescribed by a doctor. You should be able to get all the nutrition you need from a good diet unless something is wrong - and we can't diagnose that here.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I personally follow the recommendations from the Harvard School of Public Health.

My diet is mostly Mediterranean. (Italy, Spain, Greek..) I'm accustomed to cook, but if you do enough food for a few days it's not that much time. 1 hour per day max. I spend like 200$ per month in food for myself.

Mostly beans, hake, sardines, brown rice, poultry, greek yogurt, dark chocolate, nuts, olive oil, lots of frozen veggies, lots of fruit, hard-boiled eggs, only drink water..
That's mainly my diet.

Have a good day.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

To kick off your lifestyle and diet change I recommend a three day juice cleanse.(I do one at the start of every new season.) It's a tremendous way to get rid of some of the crap that's built up in your body. It isn't as bad as it sounds either...PM me if you need any recommendations on good ones. Some are pretty reasonably priced as well.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take a multivitamin everyday to make up for the years of malnutrition. Drinking enough water is easy when I'm consistently and normally hydrated all the time. In other words: NOT drinking massive amounts of a diuretic poison!

After my drinking days, things like a turkey sandwich and water feels like the most healthy diet in the world!