Notices

I'm going to a meeting tonight

Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm going to a meeting tonight

Sorry to repeat myself but... I won't promise not to drink today or tomorrow. But I will go to this meeting. But, if the worst happened and I drink... I'll risk other people's sobriety. So I shouldn't go?
Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Obviously it's best for you if you're sober..,if your AV is as sneaky as mine was it'll try and get you to drink so you miss the meeting.

Honestly tho - I'm sure you wouldn't be the only person who ever walked into an AA meeting with a few drinks under your belt...

you may even see others there tonight in that condition.

There'll be a load of people there with good strong recovery to help anyone wavering or struggling ...including yourself .

Don't worry about jepoardising other people's sobriety - you won't....but you may jeopardise your own if you don't take action soon...

Stay sober tonight and go to the meeting SarahLou

D
Old 02-03-2015, 11:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarahlou87 View Post
Sorry to repeat myself but... I won't promise not to drink today or tomorrow. But I will go to this meeting. But, if the worst happened and I drink... I'll risk other people's sobriety. So I shouldn't go?
Obviously it's best if you were sober, but as Dee says see if you can get there no matter what.

I've certainly been to meetings in which people have turned up under the influence. Nobody thought any less of them at all, we have to start somewhere.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

SarahLou,

I have been going to AA for five years, and though every meeting is different we all were active alcoholics at one point or another. It is not uncommon for people who are still struggling to quit to go to meetings. Simply go and state that this is your first meeting. If you honestly want to see what it's all about, the folks there will honestly share you how it was for them and what it took to become sober. I can all but guarantee that you will find yourself in a room full of people who know exactly where you are coming from. That is how and why AA works.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How was the meeting???
Old 02-04-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope it all went well Sarah!!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sarah,
no matter what, you're not responsible for other people's sobriety.
whether you went to the meeting op5r not, whether you went sober or drunk, everyone there is responsible for their own sobriety.
don't let "the voice" tell you that you shouldn't go because you'd be risking someone else's sobriety.
you can only risk your own stuff.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Obviously it's best for you if you're sober..,if your AV is as sneaky as mine was it'll try and get you to drink so you miss the meeting.

Honestly tho - I'm sure you wouldn't be the only person who ever walked into an AA meeting with a few drinks under your belt...

you may even see others there tonight in that condition.

There'll be a load of people there with good strong recovery to help anyone wavering or struggling ...including yourself .

Don't worry about jepoardising other people's sobriety - you won't....but you may jeopardise your own if you don't take action soon...

Stay sober tonight and go to the meeting SarahLou

D
^^^^This.

Will be thinking about you; let us know how the meeting goes!!!!