Notices

In the grips...

Old 02-01-2015, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In the grips...

Hello again. I think I'm ready to actually truly say I'm powerless over alcohol. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm quite ready for the next stage, but at least I've taken a baby step?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's not a baby step, that's a big step x
Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doesn't mean I've put down the drink completely right now though, but I do know I'm powerless. And being here helps.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah,

I didn't think I'd ever stop but I finally got to the point where drinking became harder than not drinking. Do you think you're there yet? You can stop too. Life is easier without drinking.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Accepting that will lead to thinking about the next step Sarah...think about it tomorrow.

Try not to put off doing something for too long though, ok? it's really easy to let months or even years go by.

D
Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarahlou87 View Post
Doesn't mean I've put down the drink completely right now though, but I do know I'm powerless. And being here helps.
hi Sarah. Welcome and congratulations for realising your alcoholism.
If I am really honest with myself I probably realised I was an alcoholic for the first time about 10 years ago. But, you know, life kind of got in the way and I brushed it under the carpet and just kept on drinking. And my drinking just kept on getting worse until I really had no choice but to quit.
You can save yourself years of personal hell if you can take the leap from where you are now to a stopping drinking and starting to work on your recovery.

Once you have admitted to yourself that you are an alcoholic then there are only two outcomes in the long run....recovery (including never drinking again) and total devastation maybe resulting in death. Why allow yourself to drift closer to the latter before choosing the former?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 02-02-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fully conceive to your inter most self that your a real alcoholic. If you ever drank more then you planned or drank one and started craving more your an alcoholic says the big book of AA. There's doctors lawyers judges that are alcoholic as well as the working man or women and homeless people alcoholism can happen to anyone. Admitting I was powerless was a big step even thow I stayed sober in AA 4 years and did all the other steps deep down I didn't think I was powerless now I have 40 days and I truly am powerless over alcohol and my life became unmanageable. No one bashed AA more then me but I was the one in denial I need it I can't do it alone.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sarahlou87 View Post
...I'm powerless over alcohol. It doesn't necessarily mean I'm quite ready for the next stage
Powerless over alcohol doesn't mean powerless over quitting. You have the power to not drink.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can do this Sarah!!
Old 02-02-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Sarahlou - I'm so glad you've come to that conclusion.

I hadn't completely stopped when I came to SR - but reading & posting here, I found the courage to kick it out of my life. It helps to lean on each other & to know we're never alone.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It's the only one we need to do perfectly! Acceptance is the key to willingness which unlocks the shackles
Old 02-02-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's a really large and important step, sarahlou. As FlyN said, acceptance is key.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sarah,

I knew I was an alcoholic a couple years before I quit. It never got better, it only got worse. Do I wish I would have quit earlier?? Sure. Lots of people told me I had a problem but only I could decide when I had had enough.

It is your decision Sarah. I hope you find the courage to make that decision soon but only you can do that.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with what family man said. While I'm not out of the woods (only 11 days down as of tomorrow), I know that I had to try and fail and try and fail enough times to where I really really dont want to be drunk anymore. It's not fun anymore. I've been on SR for years now, on and off again. I wish I would have put in more effort years ago... But I just wasn't ready yet. I still held onto the flawed thought that drinking was better than being sober. So much wasted time... Sigh.
Today I can say that I do not in any way feel that anymore. But with all the years I've put into my drinking habit it's harder to quit than if I'd done it earlier!
You can do it. You just have to love yourself enough to realize you deserve a better life
Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi sarahlou87, and welcome to SR. So you realize you have a drinking problem. Thats a good thing. People die every day from alcoholism never realizing this. Let me propose an idea for ya. Try quitting for 90 days. If u don't like living sober you can always go back. But it will get worse. And thats a fact. But maybe, just maybe, you'll love sobriety and the new life it gives you that you'll want more and you'll stay sober. You'll rid yourself of the monkey on your back. .wouldn't that be wonderful? Try it.
thanks for being here.