Notices

DUI, grad school, and teaching

Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DUI, grad school, and teaching

My husband brought to my attention recently that my past DUI from 2006 might hinder me in academia, specifically, if I end up teaching.

I'd like to hear from anyone who knows what an impact one DUI will have on my future if I do decide to go this route. Did anyone run into snags?

For some reason, it has never crossed my mind that this would hold me back. But now I'm wondering.

Does time factor in? It's nearly ten years since it happened. Is that fact taken into consideration?

Also, I don't plan on teaching children. More than likely, it would be community college or university level depending on if I stop at the Masters or keep going.

And would like to hear from any attorneys who can give more info on how this works - will the DUI forever be on my record?
Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In most cases, DUI's are only held against you in the past 7 years. I got one in 2004 and have driven company vehicles.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a data point, I teach community college and had a DUI 9 years ago, 8 years before I started teaching. It never came up as an issue. But it's really up to the school I think, they can hire or not hire you for any non-discriminatory reason, and they can easily make up such a reason if they just don't want to hire you. That's true for anyone, with or without a DUI on their record. Teaching kids in elementary to high school, I have no idea.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I even wrote a statement to 1 company although I knew it wasn't a big deal. Only reason I wrote statement is because it said if you are not truthful with any event, offer would be resinded. Crazy enough, that company cared more about speeding tickets. My friend got 2 tickets speeding and they threatened to fire him. These were 2 ticket 4 or so years apart.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
p***enger

In my experience in higher education, there is no background check. Higher education doesn't require state certification, & I've never heard of anyone being fingerprinted to work in higher ed. In working with children, in public education, there's the certification process which requires disclosure of background in the legal system, and both systems I have experience with required fingerprinting for background checks. If you don't plan to work with minors, I don't expect it will be a problem.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I work in a public university as well. Our hiring process involves a backrground check,but a criminal record can only be taken into account if the criminal activity is specifically related to the job. For example, a convicted/registered sex offender could not be hired for a position supervising minor children. Or a person convicted of a financial crime like embezzlement could be refused a position in financial supervision, etc.

Having said that, every employer is different and their policies should be readily available when applying for the job.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm a lawyer, but I don't work in this area.

You may want to inquire with the licensing authorities and employers where you may wish to teach.

I will bet your future will not be impeded by something that you did in 2006.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

My experience in my country matches Courage's Jennie

D
Old 01-30-2015, 02:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, y'all. That helps a bunch!

Now it's a matter of making darn sure this is what I really want to do. Not an easy decision.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For Jennie and others. Is it possible to have your record expunged? And if so, how would that affect the information you would need to disclose or what information a background check might turn up?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck SJ
Old 01-30-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
For Jennie and others. Is it possible to have your record expunged? And if so, how would that affect the information you would need to disclose or what information a background check might turn up?
In my state, it's possible to expunge the DUI only if found not guilty or if the charges were disposed later.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I've never heard of anyone being fingerprinted to work in higher ed....
I was live-scanned in California, I think that's pretty common. But that was after a hire decision had been made, and after I told them about the DUI on some of the application paperwork (there was a "have you ever been convicted, including a DUI?" question somewhere).
Old 01-30-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I got a DUI back in 2000 in Minnesota. I was teaching there at the time. I moved to California 4 years later and applied for a teaching license in that state. Well, I figured that with all that time in-between, it should be no issue, so on the application where it asks if I have ever been convicted of a crime, I checked no. and was given a temporary license for three years. A year later, the school I was teaching at got a letter from the government informing them that I had been charged with a crime and they were investigating the situation. I told the vice-principal about the DUI but but they still wondered about it. I wasn't hired back the following year. I petitioned California to speak to the committee about the situation. I was allowed to meet with them. They gave me back my license but no school would hire me after that. I was teaching high school at the time, so this might not happen to you. John
Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for posting about this soberjennie!

I'm seriously thinking about starting graduate school this summer but I've got two DWIs and have been wondering the same thing!!

Y'all's posts are super helpful.

I think the only way I'll know for sure is to actually talk to someone in the graduate program and get the info first hand. Really not looking forward to that conversation! and then I worry that If I disclose that info I won't get accepted into the program! ( irrational thought I'm sure...but still in the back of my head).
Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

There's 2 distinct things at work.

1. The DUI proper.

2. The candor shown in fully disclosing the past DUI; irrespective of when it occurred.

Me, I'd be totally truthful on the 2nd Topic. Were you to get serious on this particular Career Path, I'd then hire an Attorney specializing in this area of DUI Law. In my Mind, it would be worth the $$ outlay to know exactly the scope of the Issues as they apply to your proposed Field. That is, versus someone who wants to drive a Commercial Truck, or become a Security Guard.

I recall on this Forum an episode where a supposedly-expunged Conviction wasn't. When discovered, this Person was on the Carpet with their Employer about Point #2 above. The lying part. Not the DUI part.

I've gotten lazy in my old age. I just tell the truth. Whatever happens, happens.

-----
Old 01-30-2015, 07:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
There's 2 distinct things at work.

1. The DUI proper.

2. The candor shown in fully disclosing the past DUI; irrespective of when it occurred.

Me, I'd be totally truthful on the 2nd Topic. Were you to get serious on this particular Career Path, I'd then hire an Attorney specializing in this area of DUI Law. In my Mind, it would be worth the $$ outlay to know exactly the scope of the Issues as they apply to your proposed Field. That is, versus someone who wants to drive a Commercial Truck, or become a Security Guard.

I recall on this Forum an episode where a supposedly-expunged Conviction wasn't. When discovered, this Person was on the Carpet with their Employer about Point #2 above. The lying part. Not the DUI part.

I've gotten lazy in my old age. I just tell the truth. Whatever happens, happens.

-----
Actually, it was the DUI conviction that the committee was concerned about.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had a dwi in 2003. When I applied to practice in my profession, the form for my state asked if I had ever been arrested, and if so, to explain the nature of it. I obviously said yes and explained the circumstances in a short letter. I expressed regret for my poor choice but noted how I learned from it and hope it can help guide me in being a better professional. I had no problems. My supervisor noted I probably made it a bigger issue in my head. I also had some marijuana possession charges and a non alcohol/drug charge against me (no conviction luckily) too. I currently work with children and adolescents in clinical settings, and I'm sure I could teach if I can get licensed. No guarantee in your situation, as facts and other factors can vary. Send me a message if you want more details or help...I could even tell you what I wrote in my letter if it would help you
Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Also, I'm not a lawyer so it's not legal advice I'd be giving
Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It really depends on where you are. It hinders your travel ability, because you have a criminal record. You now can not be bonded. However you can get your record expunged, meaning your record is a clean slate and unless you do another crime it will be sealed. I do not know about teaching, I would guess they would do a full and complete background check. Criminal, financial, credit everything. Especially children, and especially anyone under 18. I know as well certain schools require you even as a student to disclose information. Who knows what they actually do, they probably just want your money.

Yeah know if a minor league hockey coach can do what he did then to minors under the age of 18, who went on to become NHL superstars, be found guilty of molesting multiple victims, and get his record expunged. Then teach hockey to minors in Mexico.
A simple DUI is nothing! But sorry to say times have changed, waiting periods have increased, but you are well before that law came into effect.