Notices

DUI, grad school, and teaching

Old 01-31-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

How does a DUI hinder my ability to travel, Mark? Is this conjecture or do you know this from experience?

I have traveled outside the US twice since the DUI.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Canada apparently has a rule, you can't enter the country for 10 years if you have a DUI on your record. That's hearsay (from many people), I haven't tried myself. I've gone to England twice since I got my DUI, with no problems at all.

Bonding, depends on the bonding company. I know for a fact a DUI isn't a barrier to a top secret government security clearance, provided you are honest about it.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
Canada apparently has a rule, you can't enter the country for 10 years if you have a DUI on your record.
Jesus, that's bizarre. I've heard of this too but didn't realize it was fact. I guess I'll have to wait one more year if I want to travel to Canada then Lol.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
How does a DUI hinder my ability to travel, Mark? Is this conjecture or do you know this from experience?

I have traveled outside the US twice since the DUI.
I've traveled out of the USA many times since my DUI and never had any problems. Actually, never even thought about it. Besides how would a customs agent even know about someone's criminal record when all you provide is a ********? Haven't traveled out of the country in a while, so maybe things have changed. Hope not. John
Old 01-31-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In general, it is 7 years in the US. There can be magical circumstances here and there, but after 7 years, 95% or more you should be fine.

Once upon a time I freaked out about it too
Old 02-01-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yup, need a waiver! But you could risk it, and try. Might be turned away and banned for life, or banned for a year for re-entry.

Since Sept 11, and new laws being inacted for sharing of information, its easy for them to find out, especially customs agents. I thought I heard of something where even a lay over they pull the passenger list, heck I even heard you fly over their airspace they can pull the record and start running names.

I know there was a recent law just past. I dont care for it. Places I want to go dont care about criminal records like North America. Latin countries are where its at anyway.

Used to be 3 and 5 yrs, now its 5 and 10 yrs. Minor charges "Mistermeanors/Summary Convictions" 3/5 and Major charges (Felony/Indictable Convictions) 5/10.

I too have travelled all over the world, just havent crossed the 49th! Dont care too either!

I know a guy doing business across the border, he crossed plenty of times after sept 11. Just took one time, with his record, he was banned for a certain amount of time, maybe 10 year ban. Just get the waiver. Its a money grab.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

At my university, I'm in charge of hiring some of the TAs in our department.
I don't look at anything but their grades, statement of purpose, and letters of ref.

That said, if the TA job you were hired for involved driving, there might be something else checked but I doubt it very much so long as you have a current license.

I would not let that stop me from applying for Grad School.
It's a great place to be, but be warned that in some specializations there are many
drinkers--I recall you write--and poetry / fiction, for example, typically has a pretty strong drinking culture around the social life.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
In my experience in higher education, there is no background check. Higher education doesn't require state certification, & I've never heard of anyone being fingerprinted to work in higher ed. In working with children, in public education, there's the certification process which requires disclosure of background in the legal system, and both systems I have experience with required fingerprinting for background checks. If you don't plan to work with minors, I don't expect it will be a problem.
Hm. I don't know if I believe this. In order to be a cashier or a dishwasher nowadays, you have to have a background check.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Jesus, that's bizarre. I've heard of this too but didn't realize it was fact. I guess I'll have to wait one more year if I want to travel to Canada then Lol.
I have attended ABA Committee on Lawyer Assistance Plan conferences in Canada a couple of times and heard that one or more of our attendees had been denied admission as a result of rather old DUIs.

I don't know your field of studies, but you look to be a literati with your quotes in the signature area.

My wife and I were both English lit. majors (they liked her, of course, but I was the scourge of the Department), and I do a lot of reading about authors, poets, playrights, painters, etc. (I have a Hemingway room and a Jimmy Buffett room in our house.)

And alcoholism is a common thread which runs through the fabric of many of their lives.

Can you imagine the decimation of the arts which would occur if we were told that we must exclude artists who had alcohol or drug problems?

I don't believe (and can't fathom) that your planned academic pursuits being sidelined or adversely impacted as a result of your drinking and driving in 2006.

Nonetheless, I would investigate the matter with the people who run the school(s) you apply to to make sure what their positions are.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberCAH View Post
Can you imagine the decimation of the arts which would occur if we were told that we must exclude artists who had alcohol or drug problems?

I don't believe (and can't fathom) that your planned academic pursuits being sidelined or adversely impacted as a result of your drinking and driving in 2006.
My thoughts exactly, thank you
Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by alaina742 View Post
In order to be a cashier or a dishwasher nowadays, you have to have a background check.
Quoted below is the statement from my higher education institution's application for employment (my underline)

For some positions a criminal background check may be required as part of the employment process. Applicants for these positions will be required to complete a personal disclosure and release form before this information may be obtained.
All I said was that in my personal experience, to be hired as a faculty member, there was no criminal background check. Believe it or not. We don't have to drive, handle money or food, operate machinery, or work with vulnerable populations as part of our job. In fact, we don't have to do much -- you're certainly more at risk from your dishwasher or cashier.

I can't imagine anyone doing a background check on a student application to graduate school. I review applications all the time, and we don't do background checks -- not even in awarding scholarships, internships, or funded assistantships.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Us Canadians cannot enter the US either if we have a criminal record.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

That's really sad to me, Anna. I guess for whatever reason I've not associated my DUI with "criminal record." Hard to believe still. Well, at least it's almost ten years ago. I guess I've pushed it into the past where I feel it belongs.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Don't sweat it SoberJennie. I've been a professor at quite a few universities, both private and public. Most private ones usually don't even ask. The public ones do ask, mainly because you will be a state employee. An old DUI will almost certainly have no effect on employment - the university or college will not be concerned. However, answering the questionnaire falsely is a firing offense at almost any public university (even though they don't care about the old DUI, if it comes to light that you filled in the form dishonestly they have no choice under state rules but to fire you). So you will have to say yes on the form.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

So I've looked on Amazon at most of the books on graduate school, and specifically the ones on the humanities, and will probably get this one: Graduate Study for the Twenty-First Century: How to Build an Academic Career in the Humanities. The reviews have me convinced this one is going to give the gritty whole truth of what it'll be like.

I know a couple of things going in:

*I'm not going if I have to pay for most of it, because from what I understand, if I take an assistantship I shouldn't have to. The workload will be heavier, but so be it.

*I'm going because I am actually one of those people who is obsessed about and loves the field and subject matter, literature and creative writing. It's a craft that I want to master.

*I'd prefer a MA/MFA combination, so that I can study both English Lit and Creative Writing, but if I must choose, I'm leaning toward English Lit, because I'd rather spend the time absorbed in analyzing literature (I can continue writing on my own).

*I'm not going for a career or to make more money later, to become an academic, to please or impress others, or to "fix" myself. I want to approach it with the attitude of, "Oh, cool... I get to study literature, how wonderful. What an amazing gift." And so if I don't get it, it won't matter... I'll pick right back up where I left off reading and writing at home on my own.

And so far, that's all I've got. I could easily talk myself out of it, because of my age, and because I'm married, have a mortgage, dogs, cats, bills and some debt to pay off. I'm truly on the fence about it. I'd LOVE to go, but I'm not sure how I'll acclimate now that it's been over ten years since I was in college. My husband isn't thrilled at the idea. And there are so many writers who don't have advanced degrees, and yet many who do.

In the meantime, I'm reading my way through a master reading list I've compiled, basically a DIY MFA course.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Many students in Ma / MFAs are funded through Teaching or Research Assistantships--these usually cover tuition and have a modest stipend.

Lots and lots of students in MFAs are "older" non-traditional students. In, fact,
more and more students you see in the university are often on their second or third
career, returning to school after raising their family, or training to do something else
for enrichment or retirement.

Right now, I have a TA who is 65 and raising a grandchild.
So don't let demographics stall you.
Studying what you love is wonderful.
If you can do it at low cost or debt free, why not?

Put in some applications and see what happens
Old 02-03-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

SJ - Though my DUI is now 20 or so years old, I had a few drug charges that I wasn't sure if they were "really" removed (first offender) and sweated bullets. Finally got a copy of my official rap sheet and all it shows is the DUI and it will be there forever.

Though mine was longer ago than yours, when I was asked the question about "any crime..." I replied "I got a DUI in ----, fulfilled probation requirements" and no one's ever paid any attention to it.

As far as bonding? I was bonded while I was still in custody on drug charges and working (a diversion center).

I do think it depends on where you are and what the job entails, but I think you'll be just fine.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hawk, this is good info, thanks

I'm considering, for the heck of it, submitting an app to the local university and seeing what happens. I've purchased the GRE study guide, now I guess it's time to crack down and get that bit out of the way
Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I appreciate each response on my thread, y'all. Many, many thanks
Old 02-04-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

If I were 47 and not 57 I would really enjoy pursuing a Masters (don't really understand the difference between Master of Arts or Master of Fine Arts) in literature.

I have a law degree and a Master of Law degree (in tax law), and actually considered getting the equivalent of a Ph. D in law (usually referred to as a SJD or a JSD, depending on the school which offers the program), but that would require me quitting work (which I truly love) and moving to a city with a law school offering that degree.

But my real love is books - English and American lit., poetry, drama, you name it.

I drove out of town last weekend to go to a couple of bookstores I had wanted to go to for a while.

I look at the old books like they are pieces of fine jewelry.

My law office has a framed photo of Ernest Hemingway (my favorite author, on his beloved boat, the Pilar) and one of Tennessee Williams (my favorite playright).

And we have a Heminway room and a Jimmy Buffett room in our house. Jimmy was quite a cerebral lyricist, even though he is best known for a few of his less than cerebral tunes.

To me, a pursuit of the arts makes someone highly prepared for a career in whatever field he or she pursues (including in business).

The arts are what makes life liveable.

Their patrons are well-rounded because they are versed in human nature.

I tried B-school for a quarter, after I bounced out of pre-med, and I quickly tired of reading about widgets (you know, their production, their sale, their marketing, their trends, etc.) and wound up getting my undergraduate degree in lit.

So we will vicariously enjoy your literary endeavors, Jennie, if you decide to pursue a Masters program.