Notices

PAWS and Anxiety - 12 weeks in??

Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS and Anxiety - 12 weeks in??

I am approaching 12 weeks sober, and have been working a program that combines coming here, going to AA, working with my sponsor.

So far getting to lots of meetings and building a support network of people who can meet face to face and understand my struggles.

But there are times, especially the last few days that I have been dealing with a lot of anxiety. It really has me on edge, and gets a little intense at times.

Has anyone had the experience of PAWS symptoms getting more intense at close to 12 weeks? I would really appreciate to hear what others have gone through.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There's a gd message about paws in here.
For me at nearly two years sober, my anxiety has got way more manageable but not all together away. It comes and it goes. I try meditating and breathing techniques and I'm also going to a doc to do some avrt on it.
I just gotta keep trying to work through it and try be as honest as I can about it.
Hope it gets better for you buddy , sobriety defo eases it and gives you better outlook on things.
Peace
Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you had episodes of anxiety before always hope or is this a new thing since you got sober?

D
Old 01-29-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think I had some anxiety before starting drinking, but alcohol definitely induced a lot of anxiety and I drank to combat that very anxiety. Caught in a viscous circle.

I had a year sober which started about 2 years ago. Once I got through the rough withdrawal (4-5 months). I never felt so free and light. I'm just hoping I will be able to get back there again.

AA has been a trendois help
Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's got to be tough. After 36 hours, I start feeling pretty good. Sometimes too good and I think I am healed, then its back to my old ways.

I take a ton of vitamins too so maybe that helps since alcohol depletes the body of necesary vitamins
Old 01-29-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't remember anything special happening around 3 months, but I know it's a stress period for many people. There is sometimes a "pink cloud" effect that shows itself around this time frame, where the high of early recovery fades and you begin to experience normal ups and downs of life, yet are still in the midst of PAWS that can linger for much longer. I bet it won't last if you just keep marching.