Notices

Seeing doctor... is this weak?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing doctor... is this weak?

I'm afraid of the withdrawals, so I'm going to see my doctor. I've had help before. Does it make me weak for not doing it alone? :/
Old 01-29-2015, 01:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good heavens, no! 'Weak'? Luv, what would you do if you had a recurring, chronic physical or mental problem that was driving you bonkers....don't please, ever let the idea of 'weak' (whatever that might mean to you) dominate you so that you struggle on entirely alone, going around and around in your own head.

Just pick up that phone (she says...having NOT done it when I needed to!) and seek out that- first visit with your GP or whoever.

Read around SR and you'll see that, yes, we're all -yes, you read that right, 'all', ordinary human beings. Sometimes we're 'weak', and other times, we're 'strong'. And most of the time, we're in the middle.
Welcome!
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you... I just feel like I deserve to go through the withdrawals, but that's one reason I keep drinking—to ward them off (I know that makes no sense because they'll just get worse). I'm going to make an appointment now.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgive me for not realising your back story - rehab 5 years ago, and now having relapsed.
I should have noted that yes, you're right to be a bit scared of withdrawals (even though I know nothing of your actual usage etc). Even more reason to speak to your GP, full on, upfront and asking for even the basics of medical assistance. Don't mess with withdrawals, I suggest, based on my own and others' experience. Medical assistance at the very least helps to stem the dangers of withdrawals, and it doesn't need to be for terribly long as your GP should point out.

Please try not to stress about your parents, boyfriend, and all the rest. (Easy to say, I do know - I have adult daughters!). Just do what you can, first up, as that first step again. Many of us have had to do this multiple times, well into our um, 'senior' years. You do NOT have to be like that.

Blessings to you, luv
Old 01-29-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good heavens...I just read that you feel you 'deserve' to go through the withdrawals!
Please, luv, look back on your earlier SR posts: you'll see a similar theme, that you're somehow flawed, a 'bad person' who has 'let others down', and similar.

Au contraire: you are just you, who has been caught in the trap of this particular addiction. But, having said that: you are still so young, and CAN turn this around so you can get along with life! If life is hard, yes it is. If you suffer from related psychological 'stuff', then yes, you do. So you can get some help for that too.

But never, ever, believe that you are not worthy of some serenity. You do not 'deserve' suffering. If Buddhist thought is roughly right, 'suffering' just is. For all beings. But Buddhist thought clearly notes that 'suffering' is mainly due to our thoughts and emotions around sickness, ageing and death.

Sorry, getting a bit ahead of myself here :-)
Yeah, just see your GP, eh?
Old 01-29-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sara, it is not weak, you candid from withdrawals, as you know! Scary stuff. see the Doctor and get a plan to keep from doing this again. Not having a plan for sobriety would be weak. I had to cowgirl up to get sober. I have seven years now. I am mostly at peace these days.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Do whatever you have to do. I've done medical detox before. It can be very painful going cold turkey. Dangerous too.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely not weak
The success stories you'll read about here are people who reached out and found support.

I spent many years 'doing it myself'. I was fighting my addicted self and it was an totally even match = stalemate.

Bringing in some reinforcements helped me win the battle
Old 01-29-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

::::sigh:::: I hate auto correct. My iPad is possessed, I'm sure. I meant to say "can die" not "candid". Sheesh.

Anyway Sara, I relapsed after eleven years. What happened? Well, it's both complicated and not. I quit doing my sober plan. And then I just didn't care. I knew what would happen. I had no illusions. I knew.

and it was much harder on some levels to get back to sober instead of just not drinking. the Beast is like a dog off a leash. It ran wild dragging me with it.

Please let us know how you're doing and stay with us here on SR.

Love from Lenina
Old 01-29-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You're kidding, right? Grab every tool you can get your hands on. Without my anti-depressants I'd be a pile of vodka soaked denim.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Not weak smart and brave. If possible find a Doc who specializes in addiction.

Good luck. You are doing the right thing
Old 01-29-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Not weak, smart and brave. If possible find a Doc who specializes in addiction.

Good luck. You are doing the right thing
Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It's the frightened ones who don't go to their doctor. For me it was the first step.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

This is a sign of strength for an alcoholic!!!!!

Get that help and detox safely! I'm proud of you
Old 01-29-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sarahlou87 View Post
I'm afraid of the withdrawals, so I'm going to see my doctor. I've had help before. Does it make me weak for not doing it alone? :/
It makes you smart.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your definatly NOT weak i needed help and i still see a doctor i think this is a fantastic post

I was scared at first too just know its a good idea and wel all be here supporting you Sarahlou 5000%

Let us know how it goes

Your doing really well
Old 01-29-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

A Dr appt is a very wise and important step, don't see it as weak!!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, very smart to seek help - I tried it on my own and my blood pressure spiked out of control. Glad you posted, Sarahlou.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No not weak, i did it by day 2 sometimes in previous relapses,

Docs help alot if you got a good one, i have had some who dont take me serious my current doc is great!

Best of luck to you
Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

NOPE. STRONG! way to go.